Matthew Reilly books (2 Viewers)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
imo

hovercrafts > temple + SHOEFIELD lol > contest +jack west books.

i have a real issue with the jack west books and really think they're a tier below. maybe the indiana jones thing is more of a cinematic experience? the group constantly going through new trap systems gets pretty repetitive pretty quickly and just isnt that exciting.

for a series of book that he ambitiously sets on the grandest scale you can, i feel they are overly lighthearted and lack the grit and substance that something like temple had (i use the term 'substance' lightly, i know im still talking about a MR book here). i find having 2 kids so central even to all the action scenes makes it feel more like a slap stick comedy/farce than the more genuine danger present in the likes of scarecrow.

needs more sex/drugs ?
The deal he is on now with his publisher requires a book every two years. Temple took more then two years to write so the quality was a lot better. Not to mention he wanted to try a new perspective in writing, not a complete militaristic novel, but a adventure novel.

And your opinion on his writing just became null when you said Hovercar Racer was better then his Race/Schofield novels. That was slated for younger teens, a bit obvious due to the fact Disney picked up the movie rights.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
wait which references?
Soz for DBL post.

I think Area 7. On the way to the different hangers, the Marines were talking about what was made in each hanger. One said something like along the lines of "a stealth jet", a reference to ice station, and a bomb that could take out half the Earth (Supernova, Temple.).

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
the biggest thing for me in the MR book, was schofield.. . can't beleive what he did.

in killing off gant >=(

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
He's a hack who supports laws which make more books more expensive to the consumer.

Do you want to pay $25-$30 for a novel when you could be paying $10-$15? No. So fuck him and don't buy his trash.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I have hovercar racer sitting on my desk but I couldnt take it seriously so never read it. I liked contest. But read that when I was in like year 8 or something, so don't know what Id think of it now.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
He's a hack who supports laws which make more books more expensive to the consumer.

Do you want to pay $25-$30 for a novel when you could be paying $10-$15? No. So fuck him and don't buy his trash.
Who cares?

the biggest thing for me in the MR book, was schofield.. . can't beleive what he did.

in killing off gant >=(
I read that and was going "Fuck off.." I had the book signed the day it came out and was tempted to follow him to another signing and ask him WTF was going through his head, then i read Hell Island and it kind of kept the story of Schofield rolling.

I have hovercar racer sitting on my desk but I couldnt take it seriously so never read it. I liked contest. But read that when I was in like year 8 or something, so don't know what Id think of it now.
Read Temple.

Gmac_0

HSC
Read most of his stuff.

Read contest, SSS, Temple, Area 7.

Its true, he isn't a great writer, its action transposed to the page. Its still ok reading, but by the time I'd read SSS I was getting a little tired of it. Not the best writer, but can be entertaining and is easy to read.

stevey6404

HSC
I've read many of Matthew Reilly's book but the last 2 released ones, I kinda gave up on them.

It does have good plots (creative ones) and it is fast paced but sometime a bit over the top cause everything happens so quickly without much pause.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I've read many of Matthew Reilly's book but the last 2 released ones, I kinda gave up on them.

It does have good plots (creative ones) and it is fast paced but sometime a bit over the top cause everything happens so quickly without much pause.
He based his writing style off basic hollywood action movie styles.

BTW my GF bought me the latest novel, bigger grins when opening it.

Bayglez

HSC
Read all of his books so far... with exception of Area 7... his Jack West Jr series are my favourites along with the Scarecrow series... I find once I pick up one of these, I find it hard to put them down. Read the 5 warriors one in less than a day. However... maghook rescue after maghook rescue gets a bit tiresome..."Jack West Jr dies but then is saved by the miracle of the MagHook launcher yet again" - just a little thought of mine.

EDIT: hope he brings out a book for Aloysiuss Knight from Scarecrow

Last edited:

Bayglez

HSC
You should... I suggest Ice Station or Contest to read first though

HSC
Uni Grad
So there isn't really an order to them? Contest was recommended to me a while back but I forgot about it...

Bayglez

HSC
there is the scarecrow series which is in the this order Ice Station -> Area 7 -> Scarecrow. a side of this series is hell island. then there is the Jack West Jr series: 7AW - 6SS - 5GW. contest, temple, hover car racer all stand alone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)