maximum velocity , min displacement etc. (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Hi i'm just wondering whether SHM properties still apply for motion in 2unit.

For example in SHM when there is maximum velocity, there is minimum displacement and acceleration, and where then is minimum velocity there is maximum displacement and acceleration.

Do these properties still apply in 2unit motion? Like for example in 2unit you are given a question v = 6t^2 + 3t -2 and it asks you to find the maximum acceleration, so would it be correct if I let v = 0, find the time when this occurs and then sub the times in the acceleration equation which is the derivative of v, ALSO if i substitute these times in the displacement would it give the maximum displacement?

Thx

jet

Banned
HSC
Hi i'm just wondering whether SHM properties still apply for motion in 2unit.

For example in SHM when there is maximum velocity, there is minimum displacement and acceleration, and where then is minimum velocity there is maximum displacement and acceleration.

Do these properties still apply in 2unit motion? Like for example in 2unit you are given a question v = 6t^2 + 3t -2 and it asks you to find the maximum acceleration, so would it be correct if I let v = 0, find the time when this occurs and then sub the times in the acceleration equation which is the derivative of v, ALSO if i substitute these times in the displacement would it give the maximum displacement?

Thx
Not really. The equation of motion you gave is parabolic, not simple harmonic. Rules like that only occur in SHM. THough, in a different way, that method would give you maximum displacement.

Basically, maximums occur at stationary points i.e when the derivative of a function is zero. You should have done questions on this before.
So, for maximum displacement you find v = dx/dt = 0.
For maximum velocity you find a = dv/dt = 0
For maximum acceleration you find da/dt = 0.
You would most probably never be asked maximum acceleration.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Above post exactly how I would do it... and I have actually been asked a max acceleration in a class topic test in Physics ^_^ (there are different ways to figure it out, but differentiation is much faster)... 'twas easy though...

I agree, you'll never usually get one about acceleration, only velocity (maximums that is)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)