Maybe repeating year 11 is a good idea for me? (1 Viewer)

ckcalvin

HSC
Im get 50-70% in all my subjects and getting C for reports. I really regret some subject choices as well because the classes are so disruptive. Not doing well in maths either. Should i just take this year as a lesson and start all over doing year 11 next year again?? I know this guy at another school who repeated because he was doing the same thing as i did but his doing pretty well now. I reckon i haven't adapted to a study timetable and just full cram the days before exams. i need to change this.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? and i know yr 11 doesn;t count but oviously if you do crap in year 11 its a sign its going to be the same in yr 12

Also if i were to repeat should i change schools?
a public one =.=

i am aiming about 85

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Im get 50-70% in all my subjects and getting C for reports. I really regret some subject choices as well because the classes are so disruptive. Not doing well in maths either. Should i just take this year as a lesson and start all over doing year 11 next year again?? I know this guy at another school who repeated because he was doing the same thing as i did but his doing pretty well now. I reckon i haven't adapted to a study timetable and just full cram the days before exams. i need to change this.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? and i know yr 11 doesn;t count but oviously if you do crap in year 11 its a sign its going to be the same in yr 12
Honestly, I wouldn't repeat year 11. Being in year 12, you never hear any mention of year 11 work, except in maths, where 40% year 11 is assessable in 2u HSC, and 30% in 3 unit HSC (or something like that, its been a while). Besides, I have seen many people improve in the HSC year.
What I would recommend is, try and get your act together study-wise. If you find a classmate distracting, ask the teacher to move. Go on to year 12, and try your hardest. If you are not happy at the end, and get no where near what you wanted, then consider repeating year 12, because imo, repeating year 11 is just a waste.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's not necessarily a sign that you'll do crap in year 12. If you can recognize where you're falling down, where you need help and what you can do to improve your marks, there is no reason why you can't do well in year 12.

If subject selection is what's worrying you, list your subjects and tell us which ones you're not sure about. What would you do differently if you could pick your subjects again?

If the classes are disruptive, you need to see your teacher or the principal and relay your feelings. Maybe some kids will leave after year 11, if not, you need to let your teachers know that the disruption is affecting your ability to study.

Redoing year 11 is a drastic step, you're just adding another 2 years and if you don't do well in the HSC, there are a number of things you can do to get into uni (if that's what you want)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Advantages:
- Year 11 does not contain the content you need for Year 12, but it does have the skills required. If the OP is struggling in his current subjects, he might as well struggle with them again in Year 12.
- If you pick the right subjects, you might get a higher UAI
- you have an advantage over the younger students
- You'll try harder too

Disadvantages:
- repeating? It has a bad reputation, and do you really want to join the grade below you?
- you never know. These might be the right subjects for you
- It depends on your school. Some schools give out C's which might be just to make students try harder. It doesn't mean you're doing badly
- Try harder for Year 12. Get a tutor

Honestly, if I were in your situation - getting all C's and having subjects that don't suit me - I would repeat! I'm getting straight A's so far except for a B in Chemistry. That is why I am going to drop Chemistry. If I were to have all C's, I would definitely repeat. No - look at it this way - If I had all B's, I'd repeat.

It depends on you. What UAI are you aiming for anyway?

nessa_c

HSC
Honestly, I wouldn't repeat year 11. Being in year 12, you never hear any mention of year 11 work, except in maths, where 40% year 11 is assessable in 2u HSC, and 30% in 3 unit HSC (or something like that, its been a while). Besides, I have seen many people improve in the HSC year.
What I would recommend is, try and get your act together study-wise. If you find a classmate distracting, ask the teacher to move. Go on to year 12, and try your hardest. If you are not happy at the end, and get no where near what you wanted, then consider repeating year 12, because imo, repeating year 11 is just a waste.
^^

HSC
dont repeat.

one day soon ppl in your classes are gunna wake up and realise they have to start doing work.
just try to study yourself at home.

Zedez

HSC
Yeah, I've got a friend who's in the same situation as you, he picked all the wrong subjects and now is suffering for it. i.e. he is going to have trouble even getting past 50% for Year 11, and he doesn't know what he wants to do.

The way I see it, if you can get away with not repeating and still getting into what you want to do, then don't, but if you know it ain't gonna happen, then it might be better to spend an extra year at school than spend your life wishing you had got into that Uni course or whatever it is. But thats up to you, if you know that you need to if you want to get into a specific course, then maybe another year ain't so bad to get into it? But if you aren't so sure what you want to do, keep going, because you can still pick it up, get a deccent mark, and have plenty of options (depending on what you think is deccent).

Jetblack2007 makes a fair point too, your probably better to repeat Year 12, because you don't need to be doing everything right in Year 11, but you do in Year 12.

Last edited:

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC

Also if i were to repeat should i change schools?
a public one =.=

i am aiming about 85
what subjects are u doing?
i think u dun need to repeat
getting Cs dun mean you'll crap in yr12

oh well, i didnt do well in my HY too
i'll let you know my results and tell ya what i am gonna do ..

''In Every crap, you are not the only one"
:wave:

dancing_mermaid

HSC
c is what 40% of students are supposed to be getting, its meant to go A=10%, B=20%, C = 40%, D=20%, E=10% apparently. so a c isnt really a negative result.

if you did repeat, i personally would find it easier to change schools because otherwise the social side of things gets really complicated, but only if theres another school (thats as good as your old one) is close by.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
don't repeat, chances are u'll just waste a year because u actually wont study any more than u did this year even though u say that u will.
when this happens then you just wasted a year.
how can u be sure that u'll start studying properly if u repeat?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
If you are seriously not good enough to pass Year 11, how would you cope HSC? Even repeating HSC is not a valid excuse unless you experience some serious problem on your own which is little bit understandable (keep in mind that if you do have some issue, you can get bonus UAI so anyone's excuse of wanting to repeat HSC based on some issue is diminished to some extent)

btw I meant ATAR as in UAI...lol I am so not used to keep calling it ATARrrrrrrrrr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)