McFarlane Burnet? (1 Viewer)

tempco

HSC
I remember reading some where that he developed the small pox vaccine? Can someone confirm this? (BTW, I'm not sure whether it's true or not)

Thanks.

ImNuMbErOnE

I know that Burtnet did some research on small pox, however I'm not sure that he craeted the vaccine. I do know that he was famous for his work in virology esp. influenza and growing viruses in chick eggs to make vaccines and he is also credited with the self and non self theory and the clonal selection theory. If you worl out of the heinemann textbook there is an artical on Burnet on page 373

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by ImNuMbErOnE
growing viruses in chick eggs to make vaccines
Was there a specific one he was working on using chicken eggs?

arls

http://www.burnet.edu.au/about/macburnet
thats a biography of burnet..
that xiao person last night told me the thing about the cow pox/small pox vaccine was right!i checked my books just then its bull shit~~! Some one else is trying to make me fail! hehhe.
nah Jenner discovered the smallpox/cowpox thingy in England in 1796, im sure on that i just checked my books.
hope that helps.

~k8t~

our textbook states that burnet discovered how the body is able to distinguish between self and non-self... so the body can locate antigens and avoid attacking itself...

tempco

HSC
Ah ok.. well, thanks for the link. Guess the major thing he did was the clonal selection theory.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
You dont have to know about him I think; he's just an introduction thing for one of the SFBH topics

arls

i just found a questino in NEAP trial from 2001 which says:

' with reference to MacFarlane Burnet explain the effectiveness of vaccination programs in preventing the occurence and spread of a named once common disease"

just thought id post this so that ppl realise we do have to know something about it.. not neccessarily everything though

tempco

HSC
Erm... so you would include how he used chicken eggs to make a concentrated vaccine, and that this could be used to trigger an immune response, which leads to the circulation of memory cells? I have no idea which disease should be looked at...

oh oh... I'm :confused:

arls

Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Erm... so you would include how he used chicken eggs to make a concentrated vaccine, and that this could be used to trigger an immune response, which leads to the circulation of memory cells? I have no idea which disease should be looked at...

okay im just looking at this question now! ive got access to the answer so ill paste it out for you......

actually thats going to take years because the acrobat thingy wont let me copy/paste...
so ill give you the site where you can access the answer (someone posted this on mirc last night....)

arls

okay im just looking at this question now! ive got access to the answer so ill paste it out for you......

actually thats going to take years because the acrobat thingy wont let me copy/paste...
so ill give you the site where you can access the answer (someone posted this on mirc last night....)

www.priorstudent.com/previous_exams/
okay and the login = andrewchunggon
password: land57mill

look at question 24 of the NEAP trial..
there u go.

tempco

HSC
Thanks man... that cleared up quite a lot for me... so Burnet was working with the small pox vaccine, but he didn't finish it.. that xiao dude was partly right.

arls

Thanks man... that cleared up quite a lot for me... so Burnet was working with the small pox vaccine, but he didn't finish it.. that xiao dude was partly right.
yeah.. i thought he was trying to make me fail! lol...
but yeah... im guessing burnet used scientific research to back up his studies and jenner just first introduced the idea of the small pox vaccine thru trial and error.

there you go the world isnt out to get me after all!

swordfish

They've changed the syllabus since 2001...they cut out 15% of the course for 2003 (imagine how much was in it before...the mind boggles!). Before the cuts, there was a dot point that specifically referred to Burnett, but i dont think that we need to know anything about him now.

doodydo

HSC
N/A
i can't get into the website - the prior one- is it restricted?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by arls
yeah.. i thought he was trying to make me fail! lol...
omg... u guyz, how can u... but i didn't realize this stab on da bak afda the result came down?? plus, i dun really remember discussin the mcfarlane burnet thingie ... ?? darn am i gettin old or am i gettin old??

sigh~~~ guess dat's y i got shit uai... sowee arl, i wasn't tryin to get u failed... i was tryin to get myself failed... i got him mixed up wif some oder guy.... on small pox... darn i forgot his name...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)