Med/Law (1 Viewer)

SoAmazing

HSC
Isnt Monash Med post grad??
No, monash has both a post grad and undergrad program.
and as to the issue of representing myself, i guess i will cross that bridge when i get to it. and So_Amazing refers to a song title rather than me (although i like to think im amazing lol)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Interesting...SoAmazing, I'm not sure if you would be able to represent yourself though...that would require you to at the least be a qualified solicitor- assuming you go straight onto med, you wouldn't do a PLT nor have 2 years of articles to get on the roll. Secondly, if you were in a malpractice case, you would probably need a barrister, i doubt you would have any advocacy experience and if the court required, you wouldn't be a member of the Bar

but all aside, a cool endeavour :D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Besides arts/law there isn't really any synergy between any degree and law, no matter what the commerce/law kids tell themselves. The reason why you do a combined law degree is to broaden your career opportunities. The problem with doing a medicine/law combined degree is that there are large practical training components in both degrees, so by about three or four years in you would have already decided on which program you're actually more interested in and would be ditching the other.

Choose either a science degree and move on to medicine as a post-graduate or just take a more conventional law degree. Your parents are dumb AND wrong. There is no synergy, all you'll be doing is ratcheting up a huge HECS debt and wasting your time.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Besides arts/law there isn't really any synergy between any degree and law, no matter what the commerce/law kids tell themselves. The reason why you do a combined law degree is to broaden your career opportunities. The problem with doing a medicine/law combined degree is that there are large practical training components in both degrees, so by about three or four years in you would have already decided on which program you're actually more interested in and would be ditching the other.

Choose either a science degree and move on to medicine as a post-graduate or just take a more conventional law degree. Your parents are dumb AND wrong. There is no synergy, all you'll be doing is ratcheting up a huge HECS debt and wasting your time.
That's really interesting... I'm an arts/law student, but i always thought commerce complemented law better than arts did... Could you elaborate??

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
That's really interesting... I'm an arts/law student, but i always thought commerce complemented law better than arts did... Could you elaborate??
Well, it depends on what degree is your primary focus. If you're just supplementing a commerce degree with law, the law component will help you if you want to just start a small business. However, you don't need to do a commerce degree to become a commercial or corporate lawyer, which is the rookie error that alot of students straight out of high school seem to make. If you're a lawyer, you aren't going to need marketing or accounting skills, and you'll be able to learn business management skills on the job as you become more experienced.

However, an arts degree just makes you generally more well rounded, with languages allowing you to take better advantage of overseas opportunities and disciplines like philosophy giving you a better understanding on how to approach theory of law and construct a logical argument.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
haha why not
They teach aspects of law in the MBBS course at Monash (it's part of their Theme 1 content). Those aspects are, of course, relevant to the practice of medicine. At the beginning of this year, three students in my year level got into Med/Law--at least two dropped out in the space of a couple of months, even though the Law component doesn't begin until next year.

Only thing I guess Med/Law would be relevant to would be from a lawyer's point of view. They'd have an intricate understanding of medical practice and would be able to exploit that knowledge when it comes to medically-related cases. Seems completely redundant from a medical point of view.

Then again, there's the option of keeping your options open and being able to choose between two minimally-related careers. I wouldn't sacrifice an extra two years on the basis of widening my choice of career though. Do it only if you're really set on it.

pstan1985

HSC
Then do a JD afer your MBBS
if you're exceptionally bright, you'll be able to complete in 2 1/2 years.

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
There is so much rubbish in this thread.

Anyway, I have quite a few friends that are just finishing up their Med/Law degree. A couple of them have gone one way or the other, i.e. into law or medicine, and a couple of them have gone to UN/Government/NGOs.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I have encountered a few lawyers working in medical malpractice who have completed medical degrees. A medical degree is undeniably useful in understanding the details of such cases (practice standards, surgical techniques, different therapeutic regimes, cognitive status of the patient, etc). Deadly combo nonetheless.

lifequest

HSC
MBBS.LLB

A brilliant combination. Like as said above, you can go into law and branch into medical malpractice.

Or, correct me if I'm wrong.
You can easily get into the board of "decision makers" of a hospital. "Who should we give this heart/lungs to?"

I wanted the MBBS.LLB but my grades were no way close. Kick ass UMAT, interview and ENTER are all top requirements.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
This course should be the most painful way to gain uni experience.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MBBS.LLB

A brilliant combination. Like as said above, you can go into law and branch into medical malpractice.

Or, correct me if I'm wrong.
You can easily get into the board of "decision makers" of a hospital. "Who should we give this heart/lungs to?"

I wanted the MBBS.LLB but my grades were no way close. Kick ass UMAT, interview and ENTER are all top requirements.
I'm a law student, I have done Torts and Health Law and I plan to do advanced Torts, thats all you'd need for med malpractice, medical knowledge? Thats what experts are for!

Law is bad enough, Med/Law = suicide

sam5

HSC
to be a corroner u have to hold both a laws and medical degree.

but then again, i think theres only 1 coroner per state (i could be wrong).

Edit: coroners only have to hold a medical degree and be a trained pathologist if they want to carry out autopsies themselves.

Otherwise, pathologists do the medical inquiery and coroners do the legal shit.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)