Med Sci @ UTS or transfer Med Sci USYD in 2nd year?? (1 Viewer)

in-sane

HSC
i really want to do dentistry,
but my parents wouldn't let me go interstate.
so USYD would be the only place i can go.

i know it's a post-graduate course.

i missed out USYD's med sci but i got an offer for UTS Med Sci.

i was wondering if it's better to do Science @ USYD with the same subjects as USYD's med sci course then try and transfer for 2nd year into Med Science.
i heard that USYD's med science of 1st year prepares you well for GAMSAT?

or should i just stay with UTS med science?
i tried to search up information about their course and haven't found much information about it.

any advice would be appreciated! :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Go to USyd and try and do as many units from MedSci in your science degree as possible.
Gosh

hkx92

HSC
N/A
the first year units required for med sci at usyd can be done by any student from the science faculty they are not exclusive to med sci students. so you could do a bsc, bsc (adv), bsc/ba, blas and still be able to do all the first year med sci units.

the second year units of med sci are exclusive to med sci students but very similar content is covered in other units of study available to normal bsc students.

in third year, all units med sci students do are also available to bsc students.

science students can pretty much cover exactly the same contents as normal science students it they want.

b med sci just has a lot less flexibility - less oppotunity for exchange, elective ect but if you are not interested in that it would not matter..

all this information is in the science faculty handbook if you want to verify. http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/science/undergraduate/b_medical_science_sample.shtml

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What I want to add is that it is not essential that you make the transfer from UTS to USyd. A MedSc degree from UTS would prepare you euqally well for the GAMSAT as a MedSc degree from USyd or other good university. You also need good marks throughout the course - pick something you really enjoy in your MedSc degree (as limited as it maybe).
Remember, the new four year Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) from USyd does not accept credit transfer so you can't say: "I did x, y z subjects at USyd, can I please get exemption from subjects a, b, c in the DMD programme".

The only 'real' advantage for transfering to USyd is you will get used to the campus, the lecture rooms, probably make new friends and find good places for food.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)