Media Article: School Leaving Age 18 (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I was just thinking in terms of tax payers' money whether there's any long term benefit of paying to put these types of people through year 12 or if we'd just be better off letting them go

boris

Banned
HSC
Is anybody in agreeance with the idea that people who allow their kids to drop out before/after/during year 10 and do nothing are probably from low socioeconomic backgrounds?

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
No i do not agree with that i know people from high socioeconomic backgrounds who do let there kids drop out early and do nothing because they do not want to be at school why force someone to stay in school if all they are going to do is skip school or sit there distrupting a class. Also many kids who do drop out at 15 and do nothing often go back to school cos they struggle to find work when they are sick of sitting around doing nothing. i think by saying they are probably from low socioeconomic backgrounds is stereotypical and arrogant.
:p
I don't agree that out of the number of Year 10 dropouts, the weighting of socioeconomic backgrounds is even. I don't believe there are as many drop outs from middle class/higher socioeconomic families as there as from low socioeconomic backgrounds.

One of the biggest differences between the two is, oddly enough, education (or a lack thereof).

It's not stereotypical. It's the truth.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I would hope that the kids who drop out in year 10 and proceed to do fuck-all with their lives eventually wake up, get off centrelink and get a job, but this does not seem to have been the case for a lot of people.

There needs to be a change in the way we prepare early school-leavers for the rest of their lives. At the moment, it seems to me that we treat students who leave in year 10 as more or less the "leftovers", as an afterthought, if that makes any sense whatsoever. All the energies of career advisors, welfare staff and so forth get fed into getting the HSC kids into uni/jobs, but the kids who want to leave earlier practically have to fend for themselves. I feel like the dominant attitude is "well, off you go" - but without any real education or advice about what to do once they've signed that bit of paper and walked out the door. I mean, at my school we had some kind of careers advice thing for early leavers but as far as I was aware it was barely a blip on the radar. It was kind of a case of 'Mr. Dude is here if you want him, kthnx'. Which is fine but all of us that went to year 12 got so much more attention in that regard. It doesn't quite seem fair.

Having said that, it's not entirely up to teachers to prepare kids for leaving school. I think parents have a lot to do with it as well - hell, if my kid wanted to leave in year 10, fine, but if he/she was still on the couch after a month I'd be licking their lazy ass into shape pretty quick. Some parents just seem to think it's okay, or it doesn't matter, or "he's just taking some time to find himself" - yeah, right, finding his way from the couch to the fridge before the ad break is over, more like.

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I to a fairly middle/high class school and i know that almost half the people in my year left we had 180 and now we have 95ish i know that the school not far away which is made up of mostly people from a low socioeconomic status has over 180 people still there not many left either. I do think that the split is almost even.

"One of the biggest differences between the two is, oddly enough, education (or a lack thereof)." as for that comment that may of been the way 10 years ago but today most people are staying at school in the low socioeconomic suburbs
Fuck me.
CHANCES ARE THEY DIDN'T DROP OUT AT YEAR 10 AND DO NOTHING WITH THEIR LIVES. OF THE 90 THAT DROPPED OUT, I'M WILLING TO BET THE MAJORITY OF THEM EITHER GOT JOBS OR WENT TO TAFE.

God.

as for that comment that may of been the way 10 years ago but today most people are staying at school in the low socioeconomic suburbs
It hasn;t changed. What has changed in the last 10 years? One of the biggest differences between the socioeconomic groups is EDUCATION. How else do you explain peoples abilities to earn different amounts of money? Obviously the more educated or more ambitious (in terms of tradesmen) make more money than the ones who drop out and DO NOTHING, more often than not the people who do nothing COME FROM POOR FAMILIES WITH LITTLE OR NO EDUCATION, THUS REPEATING THE CYCLE.

Stop trying to be so fucking politically correct and just admit the truth.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
1. swearing is the first sign of a low vocabulary it makes u sound stupid
2. I think HALF of the people who drop out and do nothing are from low socioeconomic backrounds however i do think that the other half are not nessesarily actually i think that they are from middle class families or even high. I also think the people from low socioeconomic backgrounds are determined to break the cycle.

did u know for the past 3ish years the top schools in the HSC have been public schools. NOT private schools. People with high socioeconomic backgrounds who can afford private schools are behind the public school students. however im not saying that all public school students are from low socioeconomic backgrounds i just thought i would throw that in there.

I am not trying to be politically correct i am against politcal correctness. i just think you are only seeing the common misperception
The thing is, it's not a misperception.

You seem to believe that you can split school-dropouts evenly down the middle into, on one side, kids from low SES backgrounds and on the other, kids who are better off.

It's not that balanced.

boris

Banned
HSC
moron said:
1. swearing is the first sign of a low vocabulary it makes u sound stupid
2. I think HALF of the people who drop out and do nothing are from low socioeconomic backrounds however i do think that the other half are not nessesarily actually i think that they are from middle class families or even high. I also think the people from low socioeconomic backgrounds are determined to break the cycle.

did u know for the past 3ish years the top schools in the HSC have been public schools. NOT private schools. People with high socioeconomic backgrounds who can afford private schools are behind the public school students. however im not saying that all public school students are from low socioeconomic backgrounds i just thought i would throw that in there.

I am not trying to be politically correct i am against politcal correctness. i just think you are only seeing the common misperception
Interesting theory. Except for the last three years;
James Ruse, North Sydney Girls and Baulkham Hills are public schools. Yes. They're also selective schools and I am again going to assume the the majority of people attending these schools are NOT from low socioeconomic backgrounds. That's not to say there aren't poor kids attending, but I severely doubt they number in the majority.

AS I SAID
I don't believe there are as many drop outs from middle class/higher socioeconomic families as there as from low socioeconomic backgrounds.
I DO NOT BELIEVE, AS YOU SEEM TO THINK, that the number of drop outs is equally weighed from both sides of the socioeconomic scale!

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
not perfectly balanced no but not heavily skewed towards the low ses people either
It is SKEWED towards the low socioeconomic end because PEOPLE FROM LOW SOCIOECONIMIC BACKGROUNDS ARE MORE LIKELY TO DROP OUT AND DO NOTHING than those from middle class + families.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
not perfectly balanced no but not heavily skewed towards the low ses people either
I think you are perhaps missing the point.

We're not discussing the social circumstances of students who drop out, we're examining the claim that most of the students who drop out AND DO NOTHING are from low socio-economic backgrounds whereas the students who drop out and do something productive (get a job, an apprenticeship, go to TAFE), are more likely to come from wealthier, better educated families.

I personally believe this to be more or less true.

edit: katie beat me to it :eek:

boris

Banned
HSC
I reject her idea that education is not responsible for the gap in wealth.

bassistx

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I was not reffering to bassistx circimstances at all (however i can see how ppl may think this sorry) in that i was just saying peoples circimstances in general. although i think bassistx has got it easy doing pathways.
I think it is annoying when ppl hassle me to get a job. I dont want one i dont ask anyone for alot however if i do need something like clothing and school stuff my parents will get it for me. I help them out and even help mum are her work on weekends sometime for no pay.
Fuck you.

/thread

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
i didnt say it was not responsible i said i disagree with "people who drop out and do nothing are probably from low socioeconomic backgrounds"

It is too much of a generalisation
It's not a generalisation because for the most part it's entirely true.

bassistx

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
you cant deny you have it easier by doing pathways and doing the HSC over two years that is 2 less subjects you have to worry bout. i know after dropping one subject it is easier there is no need to swear it shows a lack of intelligence

and as for boris i think we need to agree to disagree
THERE IS SHIT OTHER THAN THE HSC GOING ON - FOR ME TO DO THE HSC IN ONE YEAR WOULD MEAN REPEATING EVERY DAMN SUBJECT AGAIN THE FOLLOWING YEAR BECAUSE I'D GET SHITTIER MARKS THAN IF I'D TAKEN IT SLOW. DON'T GET INVOLVED IN MY LIFE, YOU BITCH. INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING, DO PATHWAYS YOURSELF OR DROP OUT ALREADY.

williamc

HSC
Schroedinger said:
EDIT: Also I'd abide by your own postulates if you don't wish to be ridiculed as an imbecilic purveyor of utter sniveling dross.
Lol.

Did you do a Bachelor of Adjectives at harvard?

boris

Banned
HSC
Swearing is heaps good. I bet I can make 'fuck fuck, fuck fuck fuck, fuck fuck' sound like "hello, how are you today?" just by altering my tone!

williamc

HSC
boris said:
Swearing is heaps good. I bet I can make 'fuck fuck, fuck fuck fuck, fuck fuck' sound like "hello, how are you today?" just by altering my tone!
Just adopt tradey slang.

"heyyy the fuck you goin! we gonna hit the fucking pub, and hit the fucking piss hard or what. fuck i got fucked up, fucking yesty night. fuck me fuckin knees are sore, yer fuck oath they fucking hurt."

Once you've become accustomised to this form of dialogue im pretty sure it would sound similar to:

"Hey mate, how are you going? We going to go the the leagues club and have a few alcoholic beverages with a lovely sandwich. Last night, i feel disgusted in myself, i allowed myself too become to inebriated. Owww my knees are really, really sore, owww that hurts!"

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
williamc said:
Just adopt tradey slang.

"heyyy the fuck you goin! we gonna hit the fucking pub, and hit the fucking piss hard or what. fuck i got fucked up, fucking yesty night. fuck me fuckin knees are sore, yer fuck oath they fucking hurt."

Once you've become accustomised to this form of dialogue im pretty sure it would sound similar to:

"Hey mate, how are you going? We going to go the the leagues club and have a few alcoholic beverages with a lovely sandwich. Last night, i feel disgusted in myself, i allowed myself too become to inebriated. Owww my knees are really, really sore, owww that hurts!"
:D

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
All i was saying is using profanity makes you sound stupid. It also manifests a low vocabulary. As well as the above swearing just sounds trashy to the people who have to hear (or read) it.
Okay seriously, get the fuck over it already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)