Medical Science query (1 Viewer)

cerebaton

HSC
Hi, I was enrolling in Medical Science when I stumbled into a bit of a glitch in adding courses and classes. I know the program got revised this year so we get to do ANAT1521 Anatomy for Medical Science in first semester. I'm pretty sure it's a core subject as well. However, so far I haven't had any luck in finding the course. I tried looking through the online handbook, but there was no link to the course =/ When I used the first year planner as well it said the course wasn't being offered. I'm wondering if anybody had anybody knows what's going on or should I just wait until advisory day and ask around.

Thanks =]

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes it's not there at the moment and they will fix it soon before Session 1, 2007 starts. It should be okay.

cerebaton

HSC
Cool, thanks for that. i was thinking they'd probably tell us what was happening on Advisory day anyway.

Also, regarding electives, is it possible to do courses other than those recommended in Maths, Physics and Psychology. I really have no interest whatsoever in any of those and it's primarily one of the reasons I chose the MedSci program at UNSW. I was thinking of maybe doing CHEM1831 Chemistry for Health, Exercise and Medical Science. However, would this be a problem seeing as I'm already doing Higher Chem anyway?

Otherwise, I suppose HSPC1110 Cosmos and Culture sounds pretty good. Anyone know what it's like to do this course?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You rpobably can't do CHEM1831. I think it might be for people enrolling in B Health and Exercise Science only.

I think it's more felxible now because the handbook says "PLUS Elective courses totalling 12 UOC from the Schools in the Faculty of Science", meaning you can take anything as long as they are from Science. Prior to 2007, we have to take electives from specific schools (Phys, maths, Comp, History and philosophy of science).

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
cerebaton said:
Otherwise, I suppose HSPC1110 Cosmos and Culture sounds pretty good. Anyone know what it's like to do this course?
Nope, but I'm doing it!

cerebaton

HSC
Wow, that's awesome. I remember I read your guides in the Science Forum a while ago and they definetely helped me in getting band 6's in bio and chem =]

Tim035

HSC
Yeah I'm having a similar problem, I've managed to enrol for Maths and Chemistry but the search isn't comming up with either of the biology courses we do in session 1. I know these are compulsory and thought maybe thats why they are not comming up as perhaps they will be automatically added into our timetable at some future date.
I can confirm though that one of the lectures I talked to out their today did say they had been having problems with it but that it should be fixed very soon.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Is it BABS1201 you are having problem with? I think this is because they are changing the course code from BIOS1201 to BABS1201; that's why that are a bit slow with the alteration.

BigBear_25

HSC
cerebaton said:
HI know the program got revised this year so we get to do ANAT1521 Anatomy for Medical Science in first semester. ]
I went to the advising day and the info they gave us says we do anatomy in second semester, cause i enrolled into perspectives in medical science SCIF 1111 according to the info we were giving.

Unless we can do anatomy in first semester which would be awesome.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmm, it doesn't really matter whether it's S1 or S2, the main thing is you get to do Anatomy. Personally I didn't pick it (when it wasn't compulsory because I'm not a big fan of learning all the human organs and muscles. But then again, I would have much prefer that over SCIF1111 anyday - it's very boring.

Breakingthegirl

HSC
hey, I am starting Med Sci as well and am not sure if I have made a mistake in my first semester enrolment structure.

I have organised a timetable with the following courses:

BABS1201, CHEM1011, MATH1031, PSYC1001

Am i supposed to have SCI1111? Does it replace one of the above subjects?

yikes!

any wisdom would be appreciated! :) thanks

kmk

HSC
hey Breakingthegirl, i'm kind of in the same position as u. first of all, arent u only allowed ONE elective? maths and psychology are electives so i think u can only do one of them. (pls check tho)
SCI1111 is compulsary apparently so i think it would be best to check with the faculty b4 u enrol.
in the end once ure enrolment is complete, i think u should have; BABS, CHEM, SCI1111 and ONE elective.
i'll be checking with the faculty soon although there're no help at all, telling u to refer to the handbook.

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Survivor39: you don't like Anat/Phys? That's awesome. I'd totally go the other way. Have to say that's the part I love!

Hi there, I'm m111. I used to frequent the med forums, but I've been in reclusive hiding for the last year or so. I have an interesting perspective here:

I DID STUDY BMEDSCI @ UNSW IN 2006.

But then again, I got viral meningitis, so I also stopped studying BMedSci in 2006hehehe :p

Anyhoo, I don't have much else to say... ask me questions if you want to.

Take care,
M

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kmk said:
hey Breakingthegirl, i'm kind of in the same position as u. first of all, arent u only allowed ONE elective? maths and psychology are electives so i think u can only do one of them. (pls check tho)
SCI1111 is compulsary apparently so i think it would be best to check with the faculty b4 u enrol.
in the end once ure enrolment is complete, i think u should have; BABS, CHEM, SCI1111 and ONE elective.
i'll be checking with the faculty soon although there're no help at all, telling u to refer to the handbook.
You are correct. You are meant to enrol in SCIF1111 in S1, along with CHEM, BABS and ONE elective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)