• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Medical Science VS Advanced Science (1 Viewer)

Helpoz

HSC
Hey guys, I want to know the difference between these two courses since my primary aim is to apply for GAMSAT after the 3 year courses.
So far, I have realised that MSci will help more towards the GAMSAT science type questions. How disadvantaged is ASci in terms of science needed for GAMSAT? Also, I've heard that for ASci, you have more freedom with your electives meaning you can pick which topics you want to study. And since the primary aim for Postgraduate medicine is needing a high GPA irrelevant of course, it can be beneficial for me.
Another question, is ASci focused more on physics/maths? If so, how much?
Overall, is there a difference? Is the science learned in ASci that irrelevant for the science needed in GAMSAT as compared to MSci?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I want to know the difference between these two courses since my primary aim is to apply for GAMSAT after the 3 year courses.
So far, I have realised that MSci will help more towards the GAMSAT science type questions. How disadvantaged is ASci in terms of science needed for GAMSAT? Also, I've heard that for ASci, you have more freedom with your electives meaning you can pick which topics you want to study. And since the primary aim for Postgraduate medicine is needing a high GPA irrelevant of course, it can be beneficial for me.
Overall, is there a difference? Is the science learned in ASci that irrelevant for the science needed in GAMSAT as compared to MSci?

You can tailor the Advanced Science course to whatever discipline you want to pursue. The only difference between the two streams is the fact that you've got several set electives for Medical Science, whereas Adv. requires you to maintain a distinction average while taking two six credit point advanced subjects per semester (from second year and onward).

Also, I think the Medical Science electives are lame. Adv. science also sounds nicer. I mean, advanced.

Last edited:

Helpoz

HSC
You can tailor the Advanced Science course to whatever discipline you want to pursue. The only difference between the two streams is the fact that you've got several set electives for Medical Science, whereas Adv. requires you to maintain a distinction average while taking two six credit point advanced subjects per semester (from second year and onward).

Also, I think the Medical Science electives are lame. Adv. science also sounds nicer. I mean, advanced.
So if I were to prepare for GAMSAT, would the content in the ASci vs MSci course be any different. Also, in your opinion, which course do you think is easier?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
So if I were to prepare for GAMSAT, would the content in the ASci vs MSci course be any different. Also, in your opinion, which course do you think is easier?
The content in MedSci electives is focused on biological/medical related issues, obviously, whereas Advanced Science allows you to choose from any of these topics and many others.

GAMSAT-wise, I'd say that Advanced Science would be much better. The content may be harder (depending on what electives you choose), but if you don't face challenges you won't develop intellectually.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The content in MedSci electives is focused on biological/medical related issues, obviously, whereas Advanced Science allows you to choose from any of these topics and many others.

GAMSAT-wise, I'd say that Advanced Science would be much better. The content may be harder (depending on what electives you choose), but if you don't face challenges you won't develop intellectually.
I'm pretty sure the average for second year med science subjects at USyd is 53%

So they aren't easy.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure the average for second year med science subjects at USyd is 53%

So they aren't easy.
The average for our last MATH1003 quiz was around 50%.

What I meant to say was that by specializing in only one discipline you're neglecting skills that may help you down the road.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The average for our last MATH1003 quiz was around 50%.

What I meant to say was that by specializing in only one discipline you're neglecting skills that may help you down the road.
lol, wot?!
The average for 1903 was also 50% (but it was fucking hard).

Yeah, but you can do electives on other stuff.

Also, in first year you have to do Chem, bio, molecular bio/biochemistry, Maths, and physics/psych which is a broad range of science subjects which would help you more in GAMSAT than if you just did physics/Maths/chem and majored in physics and Maths.
Because GAMSAT is about your scientific thinking skills and also your knowledge of first year Chem, bio, biochem, physics, and stuff.

HSC
Uni Grad

gamsat only tests 1st year chem/bio and high school physics so both will adequately prepare you

ASci defs has more freedom, i mean if you're awesome at human biology stuff then by all means go for MSci

with ASci you can pick what you want to major in (from pharmacology to tree hugging!) so you get to pick whatever you're good at

MSci is better for picking up dumb girls because they think you're going to a doctor

Alkanes

HSC
gamsat only tests 1st year chem/bio and high school physics so both will adequately prepare you

ASci defs has more freedom, i mean if you're awesome at human biology stuff then by all means go for MSci

with ASci you can pick what you want to major in (from pharmacology to tree hugging!) so you get to pick whatever you're good at

MSci is better for picking up dumb girls because they think you're going to a doctor
Lolz

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
hey riproot, what would you recommend?
I dunno

I'm doing med science but might be swapping into advanced science but if I did I'd do molecular bio, biochemistry, immunology, or Maths as my majors.

but you don't have to do first year Chem/bio in Advanced Science and I have been told that the physics is closer to uni physics than HSC.

Also, the rest of this post is scarily correct. Lol

Edit: whoops wrote GAMSAT instead of advanced science.

Last edited:

Helpoz

HSC
Cool, thanks guys. Awesome information :)
Also, would it really matter which uni I chose it at? Because in the end, they would just check my GPA, right? Of course, I'd probably learn more at UNSW compared to UWS, but apart from that, is there really any other reason to pick a uni like UNSW? Would I be at a disadvantage by picking UWS?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Cool, thanks guys. Awesome information :)
Also, would it really matter which uni I chose it at? Because in the end, they would just check my GPA, right? Of course, I'd probably learn more at UNSW compared to UWS, but apart from that, is there really any other reason to pick a uni like UNSW? Would I be at a disadvantage by picking UWS?
nah, uni doesn't matter unless you wanna go to UQ postgrad in which case they count Go8 unis better and your GPA must be higher if you go elsewhere.

You will probably find it easier to get higher marks at UWS do you may as well go there and just do the relevant units of study.

Helpoz

HSC
nah, uni doesn't matter unless you wanna go to UQ postgrad in which case they count Go8 unis better and your GPA must be higher if you go elsewhere.

You will probably find it easier to get higher marks at UWS do you may as well go there and just do the relevant units of study.
Ok, awesome, thanks for help

Helpoz

HSC
Also, Riproot, I'm assuming you're transferring / applying postgraduate medicine? Can you tell me roughly what percentile you would need to be offered med by a university? And, what's the competition like? As in, number of spots vs number of candidates.
Thanks again!

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
What if you don't want to transfer into medicine and you just want to stick with medical science, would medical science be a good degree to get you into work with like a pathology company or a hospital laboratory or something like that?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, Riproot, I'm assuming you're transferring / applying postgraduate medicine? Can you tell me roughly what percentile you would need to be offered med by a university? And, what's the competition like? As in, number of spots vs number of candidates.
Thanks again!
I'm actually attempting to get into undergrad this year/next year more likely. GAMSAT scares me.
Well, it all depends what uni and what your GPA is. Just look at their med websites. I think you need a Credit average for USyd plus a 67(?) in GAMSAT (not percentile, like overall score).
The competition is pretty fucking brutal considering like only people in the 80s and 90s percentile-wise get in. Meaning that 80-90% of people miss out.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
If you really want to do well in GAMSAT, do a philosophy major or a couple critical thinking courses.

The GAMSAT tests 1st yr university level biology and chemistry + yr 12 physics. The rest are English and written communication that draws on the skills taught in social science/humanity courses.

My friend got into USyd's Doctor of Dental Medicine with a BA (Adv.) (Hons.) degree, majoring in philosophy and doing 1st yr science courses in biology, chemistry and physics. It doesn't matter what degree you do as long as you cover the content in the physical sciences and understand how to construct, analyse, decipher and take apart arguments, something which a critical thinking course/philosophy will help you with. Do what you enjoy and get the highest WAM/GPA possible and along the way ensure you learn what's needed for the GAMSAT, and you'll be fine.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If you really want to do well in GAMSAT, do a philosophy major or a couple critical thinking courses.

The GAMSAT tests 1st yr university level biology and chemistry + yr 12 physics. The rest are English and written communication that draws on the skills taught in social science/humanity courses.

My friend got into USyd's Doctor of Dental Medicine with a BA (Adv.) (Hons.) degree, majoring in philosophy and doing 1st yr science courses in biology, chemistry and physics. It doesn't matter what degree you do as long as you cover the content in the physical sciences and understand how to construct, analyse, decipher and take apart arguments, something which a critical thinking course/philosophy will help you with. Do what you enjoy and get the highest WAM/GPA possible and along the way ensure you learn what's needed for the GAMSAT, and you'll be fine.
I agree with this.

Some people do BSc(Adv)/BA before med just for this reason and apparently a large number of med kids have come from BAs or BA(Adv)(Hons) and stuff like that.

Helpoz

HSC
I'm actually attempting to get into undergrad this year/next year more likely. GAMSAT scares me.
Well, it all depends what uni and what your GPA is. Just look at their med websites. I think you need a Credit average for USyd plus a 67(?) in GAMSAT (not percentile, like overall score).
The competition is pretty fucking brutal considering like only people in the 80s and 90s percentile-wise get in. Meaning that 80-90% of people miss out.
Hm I see. You mean undergraduate as in transferring with a high UMAT? Yeah and I'm aware of the competition - it's sort of the same as UMAT.

Hey, for the B Arts (Hons) degree, it's a broad degree right? Can you choose to focus on science courses in this degree? Also, what's the difficulty like? I was hoping to study the English content in my own time or maybe get a tutor for it. Thanks for answering.

I agree with this.

Some people do BSc(Adv)/BA before med just for this reason and apparently a large number of med kids have come from BAs or BA(Adv)(Hons) and stuff like that.
Any idea of what the course structure is like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)