• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Medical Science VS Advanced Science (2 Viewers)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hm I see. You mean undergraduate as in transferring with a high UMAT? Yeah and I'm aware of the competition - it's sort of the same as UMAT.
Yeppers. I got a higher UMAT this year so I'm hoping to change into med. (But it isn't transferring because transferring implies you can get credit for units of study you've previously done, which you can't with med)

Yeah, the competition is fierce for both, but I find the GAMSAT a scarier test, especially considering I didn't do much for UMAT and I'd have to study for GAMSAT.

Hey, for the B Arts (Hons) degree, it's a broad degree right? Can you choose to focus on science courses in this degree? Also, what's the difficulty like? I was hoping to study the English content in my own time or maybe get a tutor for it. Thanks for answering.
Yes.
At USyd, yes. You can major in an arts major and then for your second major you can do chemistry, biology, and other fun stuff. But also you can take electives in almost any faculty ever.
I don't think it's super difficult from what I've heard.

Any idea of what the course structure is like?
Nope.

Just go to the uni website.

Helpoz

HSC
Yeppers. I got a higher UMAT this year so I'm hoping to change into med. (But it isn't transferring because transferring implies you can get credit for units of study you've previously done, which you can't with med)

Yeah, the competition is fierce for both, but I find the GAMSAT a scarier test, especially considering I didn't do much for UMAT and I'd have to study for GAMSAT.

Yes.
At USyd, yes. You can major in an arts major and then for your second major you can do chemistry, biology, and other fun stuff. But also you can take electives in almost any faculty ever.
I don't think it's super difficult from what I've heard.

Nope.

Just go to the uni website.
Hm, I'm not so sure now. Say you were unfortunate, and did not make the UMAT requirement, then what would you do? Would you consider GAMSAT?

I'm pretty sure the people who do Arts, are actually good at english. I wouldn't mind the degree but I'd be there to learn the basics since I'm not that great at it so I think it would be harder for me to do well in. However, the first 2 sections of GAMSAT ARE based on english so...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hm, I'm not so sure now. Say you were unfortunate, and did not make the UMAT requirement, then what would you do? Would you consider GAMSAT?

I'm pretty sure the people who do Arts, are actually good at english. I wouldn't mind the degree but I'd be there to learn the basics since I'm not that great at it so I think it would be harder for me to do well in. However, the first 2 sections of GAMSAT ARE based on english so...
well, I only made the UMAT requirement of one place (and that might change), but I'd just try UMAT again. :/

Yeah, probs.
Totes.

plasticities

HSC
Pretty much the major difference between adv science and med science, is that in med science you have to major in something bio/med related. All the major available in med science are available to adv science students, plus they also have the option of doing other majors i.e. chemistry, psychology, physics, ecology, etc. So yes, advanced science has a lot more freedom in that regard.

No adv science isn't focused on physics or math at all if you choose to not do it. I'm doing neuroscience and I haven't taken any physics and the only maths I've done is statistics (which at UNSW you have to in med science anyway). As far as I understand, the GAMSAT won't actually test you on medical science per se, but rather chemistry, biology and physics. You can do all of these subjects in your first year regardless of course (and at UNSW there is heaps of overlap between med science and human biology majors in adv science).

Also, as someone else mentioned, you don't need to do adv science or med science for postgrad med. Ideally it does prepare you more content wise, but if you have the basics down for GAMSAT, you could do arts and get a great wam instead of doing science and possibly getting a lower one, but you should pick based on what you're good at and passionate about.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Arts subjects at Uni are nothing like English at highschool. Exposure to essay writing and critical thinking will only develop your English skills. It's not that hard either...so if you're looking for a GPA booster and great prep for the GAMSAT, it might be worth the shot.

With a BA from USyd you can do anything, so you'd have to major in one social science/humanities field (say philosophy), and then you can do units from the science department, so 1st year biology, physics and chemistry units.

Philosophy does help with critically analysing arguments and developing arguments, a critical skill required for the GAMSAT (especially the critical thinking and logic units), but are you interested in it?

If I were you I'd do a Bachelor of Arts and do courses in physics, chemistry and biology (junior units should be sufficient for the GAMSAT), alongside social science/humanity courses like Writing & Rhetoric + Philosophy (Logic, Critical thinking, etc.)

Helpoz

HSC
Pretty much the major difference between adv science and med science, is that in med science you have to major in something bio/med related. All the major available in med science are available to adv science students, plus they also have the option of doing other majors i.e. chemistry, psychology, physics, ecology, etc. So yes, advanced science has a lot more freedom in that regard.

No adv science isn't focused on physics or math at all if you choose to not do it. I'm doing neuroscience and I haven't taken any physics and the only maths I've done is statistics (which at UNSW you have to in med science anyway). As far as I understand, the GAMSAT won't actually test you on medical science per se, but rather chemistry, biology and physics. You can do all of these subjects in your first year regardless of course (and at UNSW there is heaps of overlap between med science and human biology majors in adv science).

Also, as someone else mentioned, you don't need to do adv science or med science for postgrad med. Ideally it does prepare you more content wise, but if you have the basics down for GAMSAT, you could do arts and get a great wam instead of doing science and possibly getting a lower one, but you should pick based on what you're good at and passionate about.
Thanks, great information! I'm actually doing all 3 sciences, so it's not like I'm forcing myself to do a science course. I won't deny, arts would help immensely in the essay sections but I'm not really sure how the degree works. It seems so broad.

Arts subjects at Uni are nothing like English at highschool. Exposure to essay writing and critical thinking will only develop your English skills. It's not that hard either...so if you're looking for a GPA booster and great prep for the GAMSAT, it might be worth the shot.

With a BA from USyd you can do anything, so you'd have to major in one social science/humanities field (say philosophy), and then you can do units from the science department, so 1st year biology, physics and chemistry units.

Philosophy does help with critically analysing arguments and developing arguments, a critical skill required for the GAMSAT (especially the critical thinking and logic units), but are you interested in it?

If I were you I'd do a Bachelor of Arts and do courses in physics, chemistry and biology (junior units should be sufficient for the GAMSAT), alongside social science/humanity courses like Writing & Rhetoric + Philosophy (Logic, Critical thinking, etc.)
Hey, since you seem to know the most about the degree, can you choose to do the humanity fields for the first year and then go science second year or something like that? How much flexibility is there? Also, another question, say I reach the final year (3rd), does the GPA I receive based on that year alone? And if so, for the 3rd year, am I allowed to do whatever majors I want?
I read the course structure but it didn't go into detail if I can choose whatever I want, whenever I want.
Slightly confusing post since I'm not really sure how uni works, but hope you understand anyway :)

HSC
Uni Grad
Cool, thanks guys. Awesome information :)
Also, would it really matter which uni I chose it at? Because in the end, they would just check my GPA, right? Of course, I'd probably learn more at UNSW compared to UWS, but apart from that, is there really any other reason to pick a uni like UNSW? Would I be at a disadvantage by picking UWS?
be less asian and realise that there is much more to your life at uni than just getting a degree

HSC
Uni Grad

holy moly guacamole you're in chem1041

which labs/tutes are you in?

/stalker

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, since you seem to know the most about the degree, can you choose to do the humanity fields for the first year and then go science second year or something like that? How much flexibility is there? Also, another question, say I reach the final year (3rd), does the GPA I receive based on that year alone? And if so, for the 3rd year, am I allowed to do whatever majors I want?
I read the course structure but it didn't go into detail if I can choose whatever I want, whenever I want.
Slightly confusing post since I'm not really sure how uni works, but hope you understand anyway :)
You can choose humanity fields and science fields throughout your degree, not just in first yr etc. You study 4 units per semester, so for sem 1, you could do 1 philosophy unit, 1 biology unit, 1 physics unit and 1 chemistry unit. If you study BSc you have core units which means you have to study maths. If you want a degree entirely focussed on GAMSAT success, then Arts is probably better because its broad based, you can cover the content needed for the GAMSAT in the physical sciences, and attain invaluable critical thinking and reasoning skills required for the other sections.

With a BSc (Adv.), you can fit some arts subjects like critical thinking & logic. Here's the course structure: http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstudent/undergrad/course/bsc-adv.shtml, you'll have to fit your arts subjects under 'electives'.

Your GPA is your average over your entire degree (from my knowledge...anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). You are required to complete at least 1 major, so for science this can be say chemistry, and you can do biology and physics units and perhaps fit some arts units in. If you study Arts, you'd have to major in something on the humanities side (say philosophy), and do a minor in chem/bio/physics, or just complete units in them. It takes 6 senior units to attain a major and 4 senior units to attain a minor. Since you only require 1st year knowledge for the GAMSAT though, this is sort of irrelevant as all the science content would be covered in the junior units, rather than the senior units. (Junior units are 1st year units, whilst senior units are 2nd+ year subjects. 1st yr units start was a 1 on the guide ie. 1056, and senior units start with a 2, sometimes a 3)

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
i picked the wrong uni
Yep!

Haha

Yaaaayyyy!

Also, I'm so glad I could combine it with Engineering.

Girl friends in medsc/sc(adv) and hot guys in engineering. :3

With a BSc (Adv.), you can fit some arts subjects like critical thinking & logic. Here's the course structure: http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstudent/undergrad/course/bsc-adv.shtml, you'll have to fit your arts subjects under 'electives'.

Your GPA is your average over your entire degree (from my knowledge...anyone can correct me if I'm wrong). You are required to complete at least 1 major, so for science this can be say chemistry, and you can do biology and physics units and perhaps fit some arts units in. If you study Arts, you'd have to major in something on the humanities side (say philosophy), and do a minor in chem/bio/physics, or just complete units in them. It takes 6 senior units to attain a major and 4 senior units to attain a minor. Since you only require 1st year knowledge for the GAMSAT though, this is sort of irrelevant as all the science content would be covered in the junior units, rather than the senior units. (Junior units are 1st year units, whilst senior units are 2nd+ year subjects. 1st yr units start was a 1 on the guide ie. 1056, and senior units start with a 2, sometimes a 3)
the first year unit of philosophy "introduction to logic" is so fucking rudimentary.
My friend does it and apparently everyone there is like "derrr! Wot I do?!" but then I could do the tutorial work for the entire semester not having gone to a single class.
I would fucking blow my brains out if I had to do it.
Also, Arts students are mostly retarded and having classes with them would make me want to blow my brains out!
Even though being with advanced science people I feel stupid as fuck I still prefer it to crazy/stupid arts people.

Also, GPA is only counted for 2nd and 3rd year for MedSc, but for BA and BSc(Adv) I think it's 1st to 3rd.
So think about that too.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I'm tossing between the two courses as well. I love science, so does it really matter which one I choose?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm tossing between the two courses as well. I love science, so does it really matter which one I choose?
not really tbh.

I'm thinking of swapping to BSc(Adv)/BE if I don't get into med because I think MedSc is probs more about research and shiz so it's not very Enggy. I might major in maths and biochem/Chem/something because maths is relevant to Engg but also it is good for thinking skills in UMAT/GAMSAT/life.

plasticities

HSC
If you really love human biology then it doesn't matter, since the majors you'll be interested in are available in both degrees. However if you're not, or you're unsure, I'd say go advanced science just in case because you can choose from pretty much any science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)