Medical Science (1 Viewer)

wilsondw

HSC
That's hard to say, I reckon you would get subjective responses to this. Just pick the uni that you'd wanna go to the most since I think there isn't much difference between the two.

Medman

HSC
The question should be why does it matter to you? What will you be doing in the future?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
If one wanted to use the medical science degree as a stepping stone into med, which degree provides the better foundations?

HSC
Hey flashy - as wilsondw has said, I think there really isn't much difference between either courses at UNSW and USYD. I've looked at the units for both and they're very similar. I may be starting to deviate from what you're asking but bear with me - a medical science degree and a plain science degree essentially provides you with "equal" foundations. All you really need is 1st year chemistry, biology and year 12 physics for the GAMSAT (assuming you are trying for graduate med of course), which can be done in any plain science degree. The thing with med is, graduate or undergraduate, you need to maximise your WAM and unless you think you can't handle or are uninterested in the medical science-specific units in 2nd year, I'd think it'd be best if you stuck with your current degree (A Bachelor of Science iirc?). A bachelor of science is also very flexible as opposed to a bachelor of medical science.

I am a current medical science student at USYD (this isn't asianese actually speaking) and that's just my take on things. I hope this post has helped you. :)

HSC
Hey flashy - as wilsondw has said, I think there really isn't much difference between either courses at UNSW and USYD. I've looked at the units for both and they're very similar. I may be starting to deviate from what you're asking but bear with me - a medical science degree and a plain science degree essentially provides you with "equal" foundations. All you really need is 1st year chemistry, biology and year 12 physics for the GAMSAT (assuming you are trying for graduate med of course), which can be done in any plain science degree. The thing with med is, graduate or undergraduate, you need to maximise your WAM and unless you think you can't handle or are uninterested in the medical science-specific units in 2nd year, I'd think it'd be best if you stuck with your current degree (A Bachelor of Science iirc?). A bachelor of science is also very flexible as opposed to a bachelor of medical science.

I am a current medical science student at USYD (this isn't asianese actually speaking) and that's just my take on things. I hope this post has helped you. :)
I am an all powerful bank of knowledge so just trust me.kk

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ash (on asianese account) poses good points. If you want to get into med, I think any of bsc/bsc(adv)/medsci are good stepping stones, with bsc having the best flexibility.

Also have some back up plan if grad med doesn't eventuate. (but it really goes without saying anyone in any degree should have more than one idea/plan)

Medman

HSC

I've done the GAMSAT twice, once for the lols and what you say is actually wrong. They test up to 2nd year Chemistry and Biology. They test up to the level of 1st year physics that being said I have seen questions harder than what I expect from first year physics.

Science "may" provide you with the right stepping stones but Medical Science provides the best stepping stone. Science provides better job opportunities if you don't get into medicine. If you pick the certain subjects in science it won't help you much in the GAMSAT.

Last edited:
HSC
What about anatomy and such medical units? Are they tested?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
I've done the GAMSAT twice, once for the lols and what you say is actually wrong. They test up to 2nd year Chemistry and Biology. They test up to the level of 1st year physics that being said I have seen questions harder than what I expect from first year physics.

Science "may" provide you with the right stepping stones but Medical Science provides the best stepping stone. Science provides better job opportunities if you don't get into medicine. If you pick the certain subjects in science it won't help you much in the GAMSAT.
Thought I read you need first year uni chem and bio and year 12 physics?

But yeah thanks for that. The last bits helpful

Xt

HSC
N/A
Don't think there is any difference between degrees at USYD or UNSW, however, the preferred degree would be one that offers an additional route into medicine such as BMedSci at UNSW or BAdvSci/BMedSci(Adv) at UWS.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's a degree you should stay away from, if you don't make med you're fucked.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Doing it at unsw gives you more opportunities to be admitted into med. You should look up 'medical science lateral entry into medicine unsw'.

Medman

HSC
What about anatomy and such medical units? Are they tested?
Yes they do say 1st year Chemistry and Biology but from my experience studying chemistry only bits of it came up in the exam. I didn't do Chemistry in second year but my friend did and he said the GAMSAT tested a lot more on reactions taught in second year. In terms of physics it was much harder than year 12 physics as I did do year 12 physics. I had to study more physics than what was taught in the HSC for the GAMSAT.

They do have anatomy and physiology but the information given should be enough to help you figure it out. Knowing your anatomy and physiology may help you through the process. These are considered under biology.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)