Medicine in 2009 (1 Viewer)

doink

Clone
HSC
I know you can get into med with a UAI less than 98, but @ usyd/unsw/uws its highly unlikely unless you make up for it in UMAT. Medicine is still burn-out central and there is still a drop of doctors between graduation and end of 1st year internship, not to be unexpected considering the long hours, crap pay and requirement for a 3-6 year specialty after 3 years work experience in order to make some cash when people with a 3yr commerce degree are making millions doing IB at the same time.

kloudsurfer

HSC
doink said:
I know you can get into med with a UAI less than 98, but @ usyd/unsw/uws its highly unlikely unless you make up for it in UMAT. Medicine is still burn-out central and there is still a drop of doctors between graduation and end of 1st year internship, not to be unexpected considering the long hours, crap pay and requirement for a 3-6 year specialty after 3 years work experience in order to make some cash when people with a 3yr commerce degree are making millions doing IB at the same time.
Just a correction:

At UWS and Newcastle, the UAI is just a hurdle. Once you pass that hurdle (last yr at UWS it was 95, 93 if you are GWS, and 93.8 at UNCLE), the mark becomes irrelevant, therefore someone with 95 has as much chance of getting in as someone with 100.

So its not highly unlikely, at least at UWS and UNCLE. But what you said is true for UNSW, unless you are rural or something.

And USYD doesnt do undergrad med. It has the comibined course which if you are selected for, you have to do a 3 yr bachelor degree and maintain a credit average, before gining automativ entry into the graduate med course. And it is only offered to about 20 people a yr, and you need to get about 99.95.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
Just a correction:

At UWS and Newcastle, the UAI is just a hurdle. Once you pass that hurdle (last yr at UWS it was 95, 93 if you are GWS, and 93.8 at UNCLE), the mark becomes irrelevant, therefore someone with 95 has as much chance of getting in as someone with 100.

So its not highly unlikely, at least at UWS and UNCLE. But what you said is true for UNSW, unless you are rural or something.

And USYD doesnt do undergrad med. It has the comibined course which if you are selected for, you have to do a 3 yr bachelor degree and maintain a credit average, before gining automativ entry into the graduate med course. And it is only offered to about 20 people a yr, and you need to get about 99.95.
I think USyd grad med GPA is also a hurdle (from PagingDr website)

Out of curiosity doink, are you asian?

A lot of people sit there talking about how IB is so mad with their million dollar salaries. Then they don't realise how hard it is to get on to the big salaries. It is the top people of the leading firms that get ridiculously large salaries and balance out the avarage salary across the board.

And then again, it's not easy to be one of the best IB's. It's not all about how much you know. How you present yourself and your charisma play a massive role in whether you're going to make it or not. I find the amount of people at uni doing commerce with the hope of earning multi-million dollar salaries in IB firms quite amusing.

kevinant

HSC
I heard that someone get into MBBS @ UNSW with just UAI of 96 and extraordinarily high UMAT result..

kloudsurfer

HSC
Tiffanys said:
JCU takes high 80s? I've heard of it, but... what's the catch?
A ridiculously high UMAT and an awesome interview

@Kevin, ive heard of a few 96s at UNSW, but they have either been rural (which has a seperate entry scheme with lower requirements) or crazy UMAT scores (like you said). But it is possible.

@mark, Im not asian (why does everyone I talk 2 on forums think im asian?!?!). Im actually african(/canadian... long story lol)

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
Right and considering UNCLE's proximity to Sdney why is their cut-off so low? For UNCLE is the uai just to dsitinguish the cut-off people or does it weigh in with the umat. ie are they non-discriminatory between the uai's as soon as you're over the cut-off?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
kevinant said:
I heard that someone get into MBBS @ UNSW with just UAI of 96 and extraordinarily high UMAT result..
Yeah and they must have aced the interview, it's because all of these criteria's are weighted together and ranked. So you could do extremely well in ur uai and do just below avg in your umat and interview and still get in, etc.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Tiffanys said:
Right and considering UNCLE's proximity to Sdney why is their cut-off so low? For UNCLE is the uai just to dsitinguish the cut-off people or does it weigh in with the umat. ie are they non-discriminatory between the uai's as soon as you're over the cut-off?
For UNCLE, the UAI is a "hurdle" (93.8, lower for rural and regional students, like 90. something) and so is the UMAT (a cut off which is usually around the 180 mark).

After you pass these two "hurdles", u are invited for an interview. After that your interview is worth 100% of the selection.

so basically a UAI of 94, umat 190 and an awesome interview should get you in.

doink

Clone
HSC
No I'm not asian, sorry to disappoint. I actually also have no intention of doing IB was just using it as a comparison, I'm going to be an engineer :)

bubbly89

HSC
doink said:
actually 95% of people who get into the UNSW course graduate... we heard the stats on Orientation day. They don't like people dropping out, that's why the application process is so intense. Oh and if you start failing assessments there is a person who is in charge of figuring out why this is happening. We are very much looked after by the uni.

I think the figures are pretty similar for most the universities, across Aus.

Oh and I got in with 97, and so far I'm having a blast socially.

I don't know I was always told that I would hate med, I wouldn't get in, it would be horrible, I'd never have fun. While for me, so far that's so wrong, I love it here, everything I ever wanted. Its great.

I know people who got in with 87 to JCU, the catch is they're aboriginal heh.

doink

Clone
HSC
my friend got into unsw med with 78 because he did aboriginal pre-med camp. If you read my post correctly i said a drop between graduation and 1st year internship, not between 1st year uni and graduation.

And trust me you are meant to have a blast during "foundations" just wait until you graduate/actually working.

tambourine

HSC
I'm also interested in studying medicine at UNSW. I'm aiming for 96.45 but by the sound of things I should aim higher?
I really hope I get in though because I've been interested in the field for most of my life. The subjects I'm doing are:
Adv. english
4U maths
biology
LOTE
SOR1(compulsory also)
My main worry is the interview but I'm also worried about HSC and UMAT.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
tambourine said:
I'm also interested in studying medicine at UNSW. I'm aiming for 96.45 but by the sound of things I should aim higher?
I really hope I get in though because I've been interested in the field for most of my life. The subjects I'm doing are:
Adv. english
4U maths
biology
LOTE
SOR1(compulsory also)
My main worry is the interview but I'm also worried about HSC and UMAT.
Aim higher and also remember the umat is almost just as important. Don't start worring about the interviews till you get one.

Tsuska

HSC
Hey, I'm currently a Med UNSW student. Just wanted to say the 2008 UAI 'average' for medicine was apparently 99.60 (i heard it from someone talking about it the other day). Normally the average is above 99.50 anyway. So I'd suggest that's about where u should be aiming for.

Also the UMAT plays a HUGE part in getting an interview (and a place) so remember UMAT is important too. Honestly, i found the UMAT prep course pointless...but that's also because i paid no attention in the lecture and didn't really do the trial papers... (did like 2 the night b4 the umat exam...)

Ahh, and ACE the interview...lol (you have to be very open about urself in the interview)

Note: UNSW weighs all 3 sections equally.

Last edited:

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
Tsuska said:
Also the UMAT plays a HUGE part in getting an interview (and a place) so remember UMAT is important too. Honestly, i found the UMAT prep course pointless...but that's also because i paid no attention in the lecture and didn't really do the trial papers... (did like 2 the night b4 the umat exam...)

Ahh, and ACE the interview...lol
Hey Tsuska, what UMAT course did you do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)