medicine [mbbs] (1 Viewer)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
drynxz said:
HAHA i also went medentry today!....i was the guy that asked that question about undergrad med science and science (adv) and what job you can get...apparently none worthwhile -___-"
Holy moley, i do remember. Thats so cool. Here's my email, talk to me online

matrix_star@hotmail.com

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
sanjeevprasad99 said:
lol no i dont hav a goatee...., umm, that guy who used that accident as his motivation went to my school [and his dad realli is a doctor, but it was funni when he said it n everyone started laughin]...n i stuffed that test sooooo bad, o well

ummm someone said tht 10 ppl make it to undergrad med a year, inno 3 of them who made it last year[FRIGGEN NERDS!!!!!!] one came 1st in bio, one got 99.95...n so did the other

n e way we shall see what happens, cya n goodluck for everyone who wants to do med!
Sorry about the goatee thing. But yeah its crazy getting into medicine, i reckon we can do it. By the way how did you go in that exam?

Anyway, best of luck to you and everyone else planning to do medicine.

Last edited:

aussiechica7

HSC
uni of newcastle offer undergrad medicine too, although i can't remember if they offer mbbs, as in i think they offer medicine but not the surgery part. i can't remember exactly though.
Newcastle offer medicine, and this includes surgery. When you graduate you get a "BMed". The ONLY difference between this and an MBBS is the name. It is exactly the same. Newcastle just likes being different for some reason. (Newcastle was the first uni to introduce PBL to Aussie undergrad schools, and the first to use a UMAT-style entrance test as well... hippies :p).

Last edited:

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
aussiechica7 said:
Newcastle offer medicine, and this includes surgery. When you graduate you get a "BMed". The ONLY difference between this and an MBBS is the name. It is exactly the same. Newcastle just likes being different for some reason. (Newcastle was the first uni to introduce PBL to Aussie undergrad schools, and the first to use a UMAT-style entrance test as well... hippies :p).
I don't really care what university i get in to, as long as i am doing medicine, then i am happy.

Farmers08

HSC
Come on, UWS is a great university....i can't wait to get into their MBBS (and yes I WILL GET IN).... now i have to prepare for the UMAT next year and pray to god it all go good... but anyway good luck and go to UWS

HSC
drynxz said:
HAHA i also went medentry today!....i was the guy that asked that question about undergrad med science and science (adv) and what job you can get...apparently none worthwhile -___-"
lmao, me n the 2 azn guys sittin next 2 me were laughin at u [sorri]
we were laughin coz those 2 azn guys do med science, n when that guy said 2 u not to do it, we cracked up-_-

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Look Sanjeev when i considered doing medicine i bagged out uni's like UNCLE, UWS and post-grad entry methods. But you have to look at your situation realistically over 13,000 people do UMAT mainly for medicine however there are only 1400-1500 undergrad med places with about 7 people competing for every one place. I really wanted to go to UNSW to do B.Arts/MBBS but realistically i have a slim chance of getting in. Im gonna try to get into UNCLE or UWS since i live in the Greater Western Sydney district, i thought UWS was gonna be crap when they announced the opening of a med school there but i've talked to many students and its pretty decent and is modelled on U.Melb(arguably the most exclusive ugrad med course and hardest to get into) PBL course for the first 2 years. Don't snub UWS just because of its reputation be realistic and consider it as an option if u really wana do med. I recently did the AMEPP prep course and meet dozens of people who got 99+ UAI's who bombed umat, some of them were desperate to get into UWS or into any med course becuase they had tried interstate and some even tried to get into NZ, Otago and Auckland uni's.

Remember all medcourses in OZ and NZ have the same accreditation so realistically it really doesnt matter which uni' you go to you'll end up with a MBBS or Mb equiv.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
i'll be basically applying for EVERY SINGLE UNI offering medicine just to get in (which i probably won't)....

If that fails, then i have a BACKUP PLAN!!!!!! I'll do psychology for a year, work my silly arse off, resit the umat and then TRANSFER TO MEDICINE!!!!

And if THAT fails.... then i'll probly just continue my psych course... coz it looks really interesting! (sorry for going off topic^^')

But, the main unis i'm looking to go into are Uni newcastle, UWS and UNSW.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
B.Med at UNewcaste/UNewEngland would be great imo, well I guess at any uni it would be. I've heard some odd rumours about those "desparately" wanting to get into medicine...Personally, I'm not crazy about getting into medicine, although it is my priority. I don't mind if I do a diff. science based course, it will only give me more experience :D

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
ooo yes, and also a side note: getting offered a place for medicine at any uni should be glorious. I dont believe judging a university, especially those who havn't visited them, is a wise thing to do...diff people have diff opinions about diff uni's.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
yoakim said:
ooo yes, and also a side note: getting offered a place for medicine at any uni should be glorious. I dont believe judging a university, especially those who havn't visited them, is a wise thing to do...diff people have diff opinions about diff uni's.
Exactly. And holy shit when you got 13000 people all wanting to do medicine, and you get into UWS, why the hell wouldn't you go? And like Wooz said, the bachelors degree is all the same. So whatchu thinkin' bout boy?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
sanjeevprasad99 said:
lmao, me n the 2 azn guys sittin next 2 me were laughin at u [sorri]
we were laughin coz those 2 azn guys do med science, n when that guy said 2 u not to do it, we cracked up-_-
You could try typing in english, you know.

And as others have mentioned: wooz, yoakim, shrikar et al, you need to expand your viewpoints sanjeev.

Although it does seem you're now joking around about your earlier reluctance to attend uws. (baaaa)

aussiechica7

HSC
Wooz said:
Look Sanjeev when i considered doing medicine i bagged out uni's like UNCLE, UWS and post-grad entry methods. But you have to look at your situation realistically over 13,000 people do UMAT mainly for medicine however there are only 1400-1500 undergrad med places with about 7 people competing for every one place. I really wanted to go to UNSW to do B.Arts/MBBS but realistically i have a slim chance of getting in. Im gonna try to get into UNCLE or UWS since i live in the Greater Western Sydney district, i thought UWS was gonna be crap when they announced the opening of a med school there but i've talked to many students and its pretty decent and is modelled on U.Melb(arguably the most exclusive ugrad med course and hardest to get into) PBL course for the first 2 years. Don't snub UWS just because of its reputation be realistic and consider it as an option if u really wana do med. I recently did the AMEPP prep course and meet dozens of people who got 99+ UAI's who bombed umat, some of them were desperate to get into UWS or into any med course becuase they had tried interstate and some even tried to get into NZ, Otago and Auckland uni's.

Remember all medcourses in OZ and NZ have the same accreditation so realistically it really doesnt matter which uni' you go to you'll end up with a MBBS or Mb equiv.
Just curious, what's wrong with UNCLE's med course?

Also, UMelb is the most difficult uni to get into UAI- and UMAT- wise because they don't interview. If they did, the UAIs and UMATs of applicants would be lower. If you suck at interviews, but have a great UAI and UMAT than UMelb would be easier to get into than say UNCLE.

ssejamafone said:
i'll be basically applying for EVERY SINGLE UNI offering medicine just to get in (which i probably won't)....

If that fails, then i have a BACKUP PLAN!!!!!! I'll do psychology for a year, work my silly arse off, resit the umat and then TRANSFER TO MEDICINE!!!!

And if THAT fails.... then i'll probly just continue my psych course... coz it looks really interesting! (sorry for going off topic^^')

But, the main unis i'm looking to go into are Uni newcastle, UWS and UNSW.
This sounds like an excellent plan. I especially like that you've chosen another degree in which you have an interest (so if med doesn't work out eventually at least you don't have a degree behind you that you're really not interested in pursuing), that's relevant to med in some way, and that I'm sure you'll do great in. All the best :)

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
aussiechica7 said:
Just curious, what's wrong with UNCLE's med course?

Also, UMelb is the most difficult uni to get into UAI- and UMAT- wise because they don't interview. If they did, the UAIs and UMATs of applicants would be lower. If you suck at interviews, but have a great UAI and UMAT than UMelb would be easier to get into than say UNCLE.

This sounds like an excellent plan. I especially like that you've chosen another degree in which you have an interest (so if med doesn't work out eventually at least you don't have a degree behind you that you're really not interested in pursuing), that's relevant to med in some way, and that I'm sure you'll do great in. All the best :)
Nothings really wrong with UNCLE, but people just have misconceptions about the course such as MB instead of MBBS and many see it as inferior in camparison to UNSW.

Yeah, Umelb is pretty hard to get into academiclly and UMAT wise. I know a guy who got 100UAI but almost missed out since he didnt go that well im UMAT.

aussiechica7

HSC
Wooz said:
Nothings really wrong with UNCLE, but people just have misconceptions about the course such as MB instead of MBBS and many see it as inferior in camparison to UNSW.

Yeah, Umelb is pretty hard to get into academiclly and UMAT wise. I know a guy who got 100UAI but almost missed out since he didnt go that well im UMAT.
I know, personally I find it frustrating that UNCLE decides to call its degree BMed instead of MBBS (just because a lot of people don't understand there's no difference), but I do understand that it's the same thing. I guess it's just ignorance that leads people to think that the different name means anything important. Also, that Newcastle itself is a hole that hasn't really contributed much to Australian life apart from Silverchair and Jennifer Hawkins, doesn't really add much to the university's reputation :p.

TBH I'm a little emotionally involved. Newcastle has always been my first choice of med school (even though I went to high school in Melbourne) and although I think UNSW med is great I find it hard to believe that either med degree is superior to the other. I think UNSW is superior to Newc in a lot of degrees but at least in med I'd say the quality of the courses are roughly equal. I guess a lot of Sydney-siders would hear mostly about how great UNSW and USyd are but Newcastle's med course has an excellent reputation across Australia (especially in Melbourne where most med school discussion is dominated by talk of UMelb and Monash). Also, their style of teaching med, initially quite revolutionary, has been copied across the country in most med courses.

The more I talk to people from different med schools, the more I realise how great they all are in their own special ways. Medicine is such a different degree to most, because the degrees are quality controlled to make sure they're not dodgy (which doesn't happen in a lot of other degrees). At the end of the day though, if you've got your MBBS or BMed, you're going to be just as much a doctor as if you graduated from any other med school.

Last edited:

ravdawg

HSC
aussiechica7 said:
I know, personally I find it frustrating that UNCLE decides to call its degree BMed instead of MBBS (just because a lot of people don't understand there's no difference), but I do understand that it's the same thing. I guess it's just ignorance that leads people to think that the different name means anything important. Also, that Newcastle itself is a hole that hasn't really contributed much to Australian life apart from Silverchair and Jennifer Hawkins, doesn't really add much to the university's reputation :p.

TBH I'm a little emotionally involved. Newcastle has always been my first choice of med school (even though I went to high school in Melbourne) and although I think UNSW med is great I find it hard to believe that either med degree is superior to the other. I think UNSW is superior to Newc in a lot of degrees but at least in med I'd say the quality of the courses are roughly equal. I guess a lot of Sydney-siders would hear mostly about how great UNSW and USyd are but Newcastle's med course has an excellent reputation across Australia (especially in Melbourne where most med school discussion is dominated by talk of UMelb and Monash). Also, their style of teaching med, initially quite revolutionary, has been copied across the country in most med courses.

The more I talk to people from different med schools, the more I realise how great they all are in their own special ways. Medicine is such a different degree to most, because the degrees are quality controlled to make sure they're not dodgy (which doesn't happen in a lot of other degrees). At the end of the day though, if you've got your MBBS or BMed, you're going to be just as much a doctor as if you graduated from any other med school.
Hey aussiechia, if you can remember do you mind telling us what total percentile you got for umat the 2nd time u sat it, so it gives us an idea of what we need to achieve.

Cheers

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
one of the maths teachers at my school did umat in 2003 or so, and ended up getting a rediculously high mark...she got 90 for all and her total percentile was above 250 (i think? could be that I heard wrong, but something like it).
edit: must have been muuuuuch higher

Last edited:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I just tried the first two sections of the first practice exams on medentry and got such crap percentiles. Damn, I'm so freaked out about the UMAT now. :(

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
~shinigami~ said:
I just tried the first two sections of the first practice exams on medentry and got such crap percentiles. Damn, I'm so freaked out about the UMAT now. :(
Awwwe, it's just a practice. You'll do awesomely come July 25th :uhhuh:

Good luck UMATers!!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)