Medicine (1 Viewer)

Kristy

maths
advanced english
business studies
legal studies
ancient history

looks like we have a couple in common :)

Steph

how was your english trial? hard?

is it just me or do you also find business studies hard?

Kristy

my english trial was not too bad, thanks. i was actually really surprised - i was expecting it to be terrible!

with business studies, i've pretty much been getting 90+ in everything, but right now we're doing global business and it's horrible! this week we were doing supply and demand, cross rates, exchange rates, market speculation and foreign direct investment and i just don't get it.....i think global business is going to be my worst topic! :-(

what are you doing at the moment?

Steph

global? we're not really up to that yet, so i'm not sure how hard it is.. if it's harder than financial planning, then i'm really in trouble!!

=)

Kristy

don't worry, i'm sure you'll do fine :) it's really not that hard - i'm just a bit slow catching on sometimes!

Kristy

thanks for the global advice, bon :)

but just one question, with the report, will we have to use our own case study? as in a "with reference to a global business you have studied" kind of question? just thought you might be able to clarify this for me, if you don't mind.

i went to the medicine info session too, so i know about all the odds stacked against me - it doesn't sound good, does it!!! i guess all i can do now is wait for the umat results. and pray real hard :)

Kristy

was that the medicine lecture, or the bio-med one? i know i went to one where the lecturer came late, but i can't remember which - i went to so many sessions that day!

so, do you want to do mathematics next year? (i think you mentioned that before) what kind of career path are you looking at? hope you don't mind me asking, just curious :)

Kristy

yeah, i agree - by this time most of the info they give is just a little too late!

i was intimidated (a little) by that lecture, but i would still love to do medicine. i've wanted to ever since i was little, and i guess i'm just beginning to realise that maybe i won't get the opportunity as soon as i would like. i guess there's always post-grad degrees, but i really have my heart set on doing medicine @ newcastle next year. i haven't given much thought as to what i'll put as my lower preferences - maybe bio-med or nutrition and dietetics....

wow, you do physics? you must be so bright! there are only 2 doing physics in my year - they couldn't get a class so they had to do it through distance ed.

Kristy

yeah, it's nice knowing what you really want to do w/ your life, but not so nice knowing that at the moment it all rests on the results of your UMAT exam!!! but i guess that's the only way to ensure only the most suited get in.

maybe i'm just not cut out to be a doctor. i think if i keep telling myself i won't get in and i do, t'll be the absolute best feeling in the world. and if i don't get in at least i won't be disappointed...

the astronomy sounds fantastic :) my friends who do physics talk about it all the time, but it still sounds very complicated to me!

so, are you going to the newcastle open day?

Kristy

yes, i will most likely go - my last assessment task is the day before, so i might get to have a study-free saturday at last!!!!

the last one they had was on a school day, so i guess they don't want us to take too many more days off. and it would probably be pretty difficult for anyone coming from interstate....they'd have to have a couple of days off school which is not too good @ this stage :)

Steph

Kristy,

i won't be able to go to the newcastle open day... would you be able to tell me something about it after you've been there please?

just things like: what does it look like, it is spacious, those sorts of things

bilal

hey guyz.. sorry.. but i was under the impression that with UNSW. you dont HAVE to go through that selection process..
the actual UAI cut off is 98.7 or something. if u get above that, u omit the process and directly get in.
upto 95 UAI, you can get in but with a resume and all that crap..

apparently the resume should include a lot of extra curricular activities. one of my cousins is going there.. he said... it was pretty easy n everything...
but like, u need awards and lots of extra curricular

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I am pretty sure at UNSW you have to go through the selection process regardless of what mark you get...

they have only said that the lowest mark they will consider is a UAI of 95 to be admitted into the course.

Hence, if you get a UAI of 100, you need to go through exactly the same application process for UNSW than a person who gets 96...they just consider you a little more leniently in the other 'aptitudes' you have to display.

To explain it a little more clearly, your selection depends on three factors

1) UAI
2) UMAT results
3) Interview

The way I understand it, they have some sort of aggregate scoring process which combines the three. So if you do really well at the UMAT, you also have to do well in the other sections, but perhaps not necessarily as well as another person who did not as well in their UMAT, but well enough to get an interview.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by bilal
apparently the resume should include a lot of extra curricular activities. one of my cousins is going there.. he said... it was pretty easy n everything...
but like, u need awards and lots of extra curricular
i dun think so. They said the wanted the semi-CV so they could find things to chat with you about during the interviews.

Even though the UAI cutoff is 95.00, it doesn't mean anything much if you just make this boundary. They're still gonna select 130 from over 3000 applicants, so it means the real UAI cutoff is somewhat heaps higher than that.

Remember, the ppl who would do well at UMAT would probably do well at HSC anyway (because of logical thinking component, and 2nd part is just a subsection of logical thinking, believe it or not)

Interview? Try to get rid of your accent!

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
is it true after u finish ur med degree at newcastle that u have 2 do a certain amount of yrs in rural practice ?? heard it from somewhere.

bilal

the UMAT is only taken once a year right?
where can i get practice papers n shit..
i think its already been taken this year.....
but u can alwayz go into uni and do like GMAT or something. thats the graduates admission thing..
theres a number of places every year which are reserved for graduate entrys!!!!!
like, i think its almost 50%

also. for new castle university... there is 8000 applicants this year (friend told me that, he took the UMAT this year)
reckons.. its too long. and shit loads of talking
and too little time!!?!??!?!!?

im gonna practice
got a whole year!!!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Do you want to do medicine bilal?

Yep, UMAT is only once per year, and this year it was at the end of July.

If you are deferring (which I remember having read in some other post of yours), then you still have to take the UMAT test, which is for all undergraduate entry to medicine courses in NSW, and for the majority in the rest of australia. You can alternatively do a degree in uni and then transfer into postragraduate medicine (eg at USYD), but then you have to take the GAMSAT, which is very different from the UMAT.

I thought there was more like 2500 undergraduate applicants for Newcastle this year...did he mean all up? There were 3000+ applicants for UNSW and only 370 got interviews, so i don't think there'll end up being that much 'talking'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)