medievil romance!!!! (1 Viewer)

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
hey...
i have to write a medevil romance.... for yr11 extention english.... i know its the wrong thread but u guys in here seem to be the real creative ones....
so anyone got any ideas?????

i got at least 5 tpyped pages to write it in... but im not really a fan of this old stuff so yea would really appriciate sum bright ides
thanx heaps

HSC
N/A
Tried reading some medieval romance? Lots out there - Chaucer jumps to mind.

Porcia

HSC
and tennyson and malory and the old king arthur legends - one wrote idylls of the king - not sure which one

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
thanx... i'll give it a shot....
we had to read knigh tof the cart at school.... and we read a bit on northrop frye..... so yea...
is it okay if i did sumthing that normall wouldnt happen in that context.... for exanple my knight turs out to be a girl.... i dunno sumthing different...

J

jhakka

1. Medieval.
2. As you said, wrong forum. But I will leave this so long as it stays on the topic of short stories.

Do you have to write in the style of a medieval romance author? I would suggest reading some Chaucer stuff. Even though his Canturbury Tales are poetry and pretty much unintelligable, they give you an idea of the language and the themes.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
jhakka said:
1. Medieval.
2. As you said, wrong forum. But I will leave this so long as it stays on the topic of short stories.

Do you have to write in the style of a medieval romance author? I would suggest reading some Chaucer stuff. Even though his Canturbury Tales are poetry and pretty much unintelligable, they give you an idea of the language and the themes.
lol thanx....
yea i have to use the language and everything....
wat would be more interesting / or wat i can make more out of.... let my knight search for the holy grail or a kidnapped demsel in destress?
i though perhaps she would have planned her own kidnap.... but i dunno why?
maybe the night could ba a girl undercover.... y i dont know

anyway these r a few stray thoughts..... wat do u think? any ideas of of it?

Last edited:

timmay05

HSC
These are just suggestions:

1. Falls in love with someone of a lower or higher class than herself and base the story on the struggle.
2. Find a story you know, Romeo and Juliet for instance, and put it into a medieval context.
3. IF you are not a fan of it maybe you would like to take a mock heroic tone in the story, I find that that is really fun to do.
4. Have the story set in the modern day, but the romance being an imaginary event inside the protaganists head.

Hope that my suggestions have been helpful. No deep thinking, just off the top of my head.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
I recommend "The Wife of Bathe" in particular... It just has a very experienced yet romantic feel. It's romance for different reasons, not the standard boy meets gurl, gurl meets boy. The emotion of lust and love is much the same tho and yes it's part of Chaucer's "Canturbury Tales"

Abbeygale

HSC
If you want something written more recently, 'The Knight and The Rose' by Isolde Martyn is worth taking a look at. I can't vouch for the quality of the writing, but it uses some interesting ideas- notably that she found inspiration for the plot from researching a real medieval divorce case, and uses historical events as background.

And, your mileage may vary, but stories that in any way involve a girl pretending to be a boy in a medieval setting make me want to claw my eyes out. Considering how unrealistic it is, it gets used way too often.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
timmay05 said:
These are just suggestions:

1. Falls in love with someone of a lower or higher class than herself and base the story on the struggle.
2. Find a story you know, Romeo and Juliet for instance, and put it into a medieval context.
3. IF you are not a fan of it maybe you would like to take a mock heroic tone in the story, I find that that is really fun to do.
4. Have the story set in the modern day, but the romance being an imaginary event inside the protaganists head.

Hope that my suggestions have been helpful. No deep thinking, just off the top of my head.
hey thanx....
the first point would be good to incorporate....
3 and 4 sound really good... i'd just have to figure out how to do it properly

but hey timmay... thats amazing stuff off the top of ur head.... wish mine could do that
thanx

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
hey u know the storys everyone is recommending.... where do i read them... like can i read them/ a summary online or do i actually have to go out find the books?

timmay05

HSC
You sort of have to read them to understand them, and to be able to succesfully acheive that style of writing. A summary can help if you don't understand them. Try your school's library, or a public library - they will all be there.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
timmay05 said:
You sort of have to read them to understand them, and to be able to succesfully acheive that style of writing. A summary can help if you don't understand them. Try your school's library, or a public library - they will all be there.
thanx again

J

jhakka

princessj said:
hey u know the storys everyone is recommending.... where do i read them... like can i read them/ a summary online or do i actually have to go out find the books?
The main reason I suggested Chaucer (apart from themes) was the language. If you want to get a feel for it, then you should read it.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
princessj said:
Actually some(not all or even most) of Chaucer's poetry is available online for your perusal as I used the site last year for Advanced. I believe that the poems are hosted on Harvard Universities website, but whatever you do - do *not* buy them, The Pardoner's Tale on its itty bitty lonesome can go for $20 and the paperback puffin collection has been translated without the original text to reference to.
Found the page: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/titles.htm
It has some other romances in middle english as well, I would also advise you not to look at the critical studies on the page as they would likely be honours and masters theses and would contain things stated in a way that is neither accesible or relevant to you.
And like Jhakka has stated, don't read the summaries, it not only will not help you but it will be a waste of time you could use and it will help form bad habits later on.

Last edited:

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
OMG... im reading through sum stories.... and geez i didnt think it would be this hard.... the language! i cant c myself writing like that so it looks like im stuffed.... unless i can try make it a modern thing... but i dont know how that would turn out to be a medieval romance....

timmay05

HSC
Okay. Well lets say writing in the style is out of the question, how else can you write something that is considered a medieval romance story?

Maybe you can take the plot elements or general themes from one and write in a contemporary style. To me (check with yor teacher though) that would still be a medieval romance.

E.g. You could set it amongst the peasantry and the hardships of everyday life. This would mean some research into history as opposed to writing styles.

If that makes sense???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)