medievil romance!!!! (1 Viewer)

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
you could use modern metaphors, that would be interesting, but it might be a little throttled to death

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
timmay05 said:
Okay. Well lets say writing in the style is out of the question, how else can you write something that is considered a medieval romance story?

Maybe you can take the plot elements or general themes from one and write in a contemporary style. To me (check with yor teacher though) that would still be a medieval romance.

E.g. You could set it amongst the peasantry and the hardships of everyday life. This would mean some research into history as opposed to writing styles.

If that makes sense???
yea i dont think im going to fuss about the language....

but yea i have to encorporate things from the cod of chivelry and courtly love.. and yes theres got to be a knight sumwhere.... i also should follow the 12 stages of the hero's journey.....

im considering using jone of arc as my protagonist but twisting things .... put her in medieval times and give her a different story... i also want a different ending for her and i think i 'might' get her to search for the holy grail.....

so yea that looks like my starting point...

anything u thin might be better? or perhaps improvent or critical comments on this?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Maybe you could work on the theme of age & marriage in the court? In those days many girls of noble birth would have been considered viable for marriage at a young age compared today, and you could configure in the feelings of a late bloomer to the romance scene. A 22 year old maiden having to chase 14 year old boys just to secure a marriage would be amusing.:p

HSC
N/A
Courtly love might be fun. I watched a bit of Much Ado About Nothing today and was struck by the idea that they were absolutely fine with the idea of another guy "wooing" a bride for his friend.

Not to mention the fact that the Elizabethans thought emotion came from like, the lower spine.

"My love, it has been three days since we met and the pangs from my lower back have not ceased for a moment..."

*guffaw*

J

jhakka

Courtly love is a cool theme, based on Petrach's model (ENGL 1020 comes in handy at last).

Pre-marriage:
-The woman is placed on a pedestal and is viewed as above the man.
-The man performs acts of daring/chivalry/etc to try and catch the interest of the woman.
-The woman is disdainful of the man.
-The man pines/doesn't eat, sleep, etc/is obsessed because the woman does not know he exists.
-The man usually marries above his station (I think).

Post marriage:
-The man takes on the dominant role and is the head of the house.
-The woman takes on the traditional female role.

If you look at The Franklin's Tale by Chaucer you can see how courtly love is used and modified (she pines for him when he leaves, etc).

Hope that gives you some idea.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
hey thanx heaps.... these are all really cool ideas....
when i told my teacher i was thinking of appropiating joan of arc she was really not interested.... yet my tutor thinks its a great idea... my teacher seems to be amusing by things frorm the dark side... eg; the crusible.... so yea i guess i should just gonna do my own thing.

i dont thinki want to do joan of arc coz then i dont know how i'll include courtly love and all the cool marriage ideas u gays suggested....
i rented braveheart and a knights tale ( video easy guys though i was the most boring person asking for medieval romance) they said that was the closest i would get..;.. hope those help wen i get time to watch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)