Megamind as my related text for the common module? (1 Viewer)

aceagle007

HSC
SO can i write about megamind as my related text for the english standard common module? its deadass a good movie with a whole character arc which includes his struggles with adversity and his search of identity. If anyone supports my actions please lend help as to how to follow through with it

c8

HSC
SO can i write about megamind as my related text for the english standard common module? its deadass a good movie with a whole character arc which includes his struggles with adversity and his search of identity. If anyone supports my actions please lend help as to how to follow through with it
Does it have any relevance to your assessment task or the text you are doing for the common module? (you mentioned the character arc, but does that pertain or relate to your prescribed text?)

aceagle007

HSC
Does it have any relevance to your assessment task or the text you are doing for the common module? (you mentioned the character arc, but does that pertain or relate to your prescribed text?)
The statement for the 5minute Multimodal presentation (TEDtalk) assessment task is "Texts express and reflect particular lives and cultures to explore evocative human experiences", and im to do the film "Billy Elliot" and a related text of my own choosing that relates to struggle with adversity and search for identity.
I believe that megamind could surely fit that criteria for the related text as Megamind is an expertly crafted movie

c8

HSC
The statement for the 5minute Multimodal presentation (TEDtalk) assessment task is "Texts express and reflect particular lives and cultures to explore evocative human experiences", and im to do the film "Billy Elliot" and a related text of my own choosing that relates to struggle with adversity and search for identity.
I believe that megamind could surely fit that criteria for the related text as Megamind is an expertly crafted movie
How would you connect the culture and evocative human experience part of the statement to the film? By all means megamind is a jam packed film, but it also doesn't really pertain to the human experience component integral to the common module given that he's...not a human lmao

sleepypanda232

HSC
To be safe I'd go with another text type...teachers generally prefer that. And like @c8 said, you want to try to relate it to a more human subject. You could definitely do it if you wanted to, but your analysis has to be reaalllly good in order for you to get top marks, otherwise it'd seem like you're just going off about a movie you really like.

quickoats

HSC
you got me there with the lack of being human, but surely his interactions with everyone as he lives in human society validates his experiences
Yes! Universal human experiences don’t have to be reflected in humans as we know it.

I would recommend against using the same text type (both movies) as a related text just because... but I guess megamind is an animation so you get some extra animatic techniques or something.

aceagle007

HSC
Yes! Universal human experiences don’t have to be reflected in humans as we know it.

I would recommend against using the same text type (both movies) as a related text just because... but I guess megamind is an animation so you get some extra animatic techniques or something.
Yeah my teacher told that they don't like an overlap of same text type, but animation is unique in it's execution of film techniques, as long as there isn't an overlap in technique analysis (that isn't greatly contrasted with how its used) should be safe

c8

HSC
I think just to be safe I’d just do a different text it seems like you’re too set on megamind and unless your assignment is due very soon you should have time to look for a new one. There’s a lot of sites which give good examples of related texts and since you’re doing a pretty popular one it shouldn’t be hard to find a new one. I really don’t think megamind is very rife in its exploration of human experiences but if its what you want to do then just link character arc and things like that would be your best bet

Boshin

HSC
N/A
Megamind is an excellent choice to be honest. The character struggles with formulating an identity for himself and he struggles with upholding his core values, which, can be related back to the real world. There is nothing wrong with choosing a kids-movie, especially if it is rich in themes and techniques for you to rip out and put into your essay. The film pokes fun of various superhero tropes: the predictability of superhero stories, "destiny," the burden of being a superhero and the "fun" of being the villain. It even parodies the Austin Powers films--with the heroine subjected to the threat of alligator infested waters.

I do think if you're still unsure, you should consider doing the film Shrek 4, which is another film that explores similar concepts however I personally feel that it possesses greater quantities of techniques and concepts that you can use to your advantage.

toonkev667

HSC
when we write a essay based on prescribed texts, are they like extended responses that includes intro and conclusion or just the body paragraph?

aceagle007

HSC
when we write a essay based on prescribed texts, are they like extended responses that includes intro and conclusion or just the body paragraph?
Yeah they are extended responses. Structure I'd recommend is:
Intro

Point (theme, idea, concept, etc)
Example 1 (Quote, Scene, etc)
Technique (How)
Analysis (What it does)
Example 2(Quote, Scene, etc)
Technique (How)
Analysis (What it does)
Example 3(Quote, Scene, etc)
Technique (How)
Analysis (What it does)
Link (How this idea connects to the Initial question or statement)

Conclusion (sum up how everything connects to the initial question and the connection/comparison between the two texts.

This structure would have to happen 4 times total (twice for each text). As my task is a multimodal presentation with only 2 themes to address and 5 minutes to talk about them keep it in depth but short. (Do not repeat techniques unless the techniques are very clearly used differently within each text or theme)
I would recommend asking your teacher on guiding you on your particular task in case how I'm doing mine doesn't have the same requirements.

ellyisnthere

HSC
this is is so funny, but honestly i do see the value as other people have mentioned. ^^ just wanted to voice my support, good luck king, get that mark LOL

aceagle007

HSC
this is is so funny, but honestly i do see the value as other people have mentioned. ^^ just wanted to voice my support, good luck king, get that mark LOL
I didn’t end up doing megamind but decided to do Bojack horseman which is a considerably darker show but I still stand with the relevance of megamind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)