• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Memorise or only remember key points? (1 Viewer)

Bloodstriker

HSC
I have an in-class BR/Frankenstein essay where they show a scene from the movie and read a passage of text and i was wondering how well i should memorise my prepared essay (it's broad so it will fit to any question)...Also, would enyone be willing to proof read it?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I would pretty much memorise it, keeping in mind that you will need to change it on the day and fiddle with your topic sentences and such to suit the question you get on the day. But it is good to remember the way you've nicely worded something or worked in a quotation so I say the more you remember the better.

Aysce

HSC
Memorise key points, and practise integrating it into an essay. Despite being a standard kid, it works quite well for me! Good luck!

D94

HSC
N/A
With practice, I'd memorise the quotes, since quotes can trigger key themes and ideas (essentially the key points). And...you have to use quotes, so not memorising them is pointless.

nofate

HSC
I'm one of those people who always memorise their whole essay (apart from top and tailing). Sure I still score well and get 17 or 18 out of 20, however I doubt I will ever get full marks by memorising. If you can write an essay by only using key points then I strongly advise you to do it. That way, you can integrate the question both explicitly and implicitly throughout your text and as a result of, you will have a much greater chance of getting full marks.

smartalec

HSC
id memorise generic essays. Agreed with above, i always used that method for bladenstein, but always got 17-18, never quite full marks.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
The essay has to cover EVERYTHING and also you have to learn to tailor it under exam conditions.
It is very possible to get full marks. Just give yourself enough leeway to change intro, topic sentences, concluding sentences, and conclusion as well as using synonyms of the question throughout the essay.

Where did you guys lose 2-3 marks? Was it cos your essay wasn't specific enough.

smartalec

HSC
The essay has to cover EVERYTHING and also you have to learn to tailor it under exam conditions.
It is very possible to get full marks. Just give yourself enough leeway to change intro, topic sentences, concluding sentences, and conclusion as well as using synonyms of the question throughout the essay.

Where did you guys lose 2-3 marks? Was it cos your essay wasn't specific enough.

for the HSC exam mine fit perfectly and I got 18/20 so I'm not sure :/
but i think probably stuff like lacked sophistication coz english isn't my best subject. i favoured the themes of environmental degradation and something to do with dehumanisation or something. i don't remember lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)