memorised essays (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
does anyone here take in memorised essays? i personally don't because i feel that i am limiting myself so i just study my notes i have made...if you do, is it successful ?

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I don't use memorised essays, but l do try and memorise the issues.

You don't know what the essay statement or question will be, but if you have a variety of issues memorised under your belt it should be easier.

If l was told to write an essay to memorise, l wouldn't know where to start - the statements could end up coming from a variety of places.

Nice question though :)

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I never have before... but i may for the real HSC.

The essays ive been writing lately are basically all technique. One sentence related to the question at the beginning of the paragraph and one at the end. That way no matter what the question is i have all the techniques needed to make a good essay.

My problem now is being able to write them in 40 minutes ;)

Rowena

its a pretty good idea to memorise an essay, even if its just a theme/issue, an example and an idea of an analysis, then just insert the essay question into ur last sentence to relate it back to the question. if u look over the last few english papers u can see that the questions are basically the same in that they all ask for same broad range of themes and discussion points. all u gotta do is insert the question and ur done.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
I memorised essays, got 96 in the HSC.

Not too sure if that's your definition of successful, though.

DISCLAIMER: I had FANTASTIC memorised essays - I think they would have gotten close to 19 or 20/20 for each individual one. I also knew them well enough to shift the themes/focus around depending on the questions. So there you go - I did memorise them (especially the good phrases and ideas) but it wasn't word for word regurgitation in the exam, though it was close enough.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
the only essay I really memorised for the HSC (2003) was the area of study-changing perspective. It is really easy to incorporate it into whatever sort of question they give u. So try that if u usually run out of time trying to finish that last section.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
DO NOT MEMORISE ESSAYS!!!

Go to the official board of studies site and look up the criteria for band 4, 5 and 6. Download the acrobat file and read some sample essays on any topic and the critism against them. The top people in the state DO NOT memorise their essays and do not attempt to imitate other peoples styles in their own writing. Trying to memorise a sample essay and apply it to an exam question is possibly the worst thing you can do, according to marking on outcomes as you spend too much time trying to apply the thing u memorised and worked so hard on to a question and you get the two into a mess... You dont have to believe me but going to the board of studies site will clarify any questions that you may have.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
nick1048 said:
DO NOT MEMORISE ESSAYS!!!

Go to the official board of studies site and look up the criteria for band 4, 5 and 6. Download the acrobat file and read some sample essays on any topic and the critism against them. The top people in the state DO NOT memorise their essays and do not attempt to imitate other peoples styles in their own writing. Trying to memorise a sample essay and apply it to an exam question is possibly the worst thing you can do, according to marking on outcomes as you spend too much time trying to apply the thing u memorised and worked so hard on to a question and you get the two into a mess... You dont have to believe me but going to the board of studies site will clarify any questions that you may have.
I agree with you there...

Also, considering we are doing Journeys this year instead of Change, the BOS may have changed some things around...

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
yeah, they are aware of what we do even though some of think we can "cheat the system" hahahaha. It all depends on your preference. I just memorise a few techniques and quotes that will back my writing up in any English exam. But that's just the way I do it because I can, I'm capable of producing a valid piece (17+/20) in a certain time frame, I'm not sure if others can. If you can't maybe you will need to memorise a little bit more than I need to, but in no way will you memorise an entire essay

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Also - My english teacher who does the marking said that they do a sample question - it won't be the same as other years - some years they may be looking for some things while in other years it may be others.

zhongie

HSC
Memorising essays, word for word is a HUGE gamble. Not just because you're taking a chance and guessing what the question's going to be like...but a psychological gamble too. I know people who have broken down in exams because they forgot a paragraph of their essay and were totally stuck. Now, if you want that kind of additional pressure, it's up to you. But I'll stick with my concepts.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
zhongie said:
Memorising essays, word for word is a HUGE gamble. Not just because you're taking a chance and guessing what the question's going to be like...but a psychological gamble too. I know people who have broken down in exams because they forgot a paragraph of their essay and were totally stuck. Now, if you want that kind of additional pressure, it's up to you. But I'll stick with my concepts.
Thats true as well - and if its for paper 2, you would have to memorise 3 essays...

If its for paper 1, you only have one chance to remember everything in the essay, the other essay is one that is on the spot, the creative writing response and the secion 1 is random..

There is no point really.

ben_ratus

HSC
I memorise my essays and just manipulate the question to suite my answer.. i haven't gotten below 17/20 its pretty decent considering english is my worst subject and i don't care about it

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Shouldn't you be manipulating your answer to suit the question?? ;)

I think I would do the same. Memorise issues and structure and then morph it to answer the question.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i only memorise one the H + RaGad one
it is extremly long but it can manipulate it
and leave certain sections out to suit the question
hasn't failed me yet so i am going to stick with it

cameron0110

HSC
I memorise a set of different point i.e. quote, technique, purpose... usually a few too many for 40 mins then just cut out some in the exam to get it down to the time depending on the text type, I can fit in more within an essay than a debate for example. Although for the trials I also memorised a general structure for mine and then stuck in the relevant links to the question, I got marked down for referring TOO OFTEN to the question which is retarded but I suppose I did mention the question every 2 lines or so... anyway I think u could probably get away with a memorised essay as long as u are creative enough to alter it in an exam.

jessiej87

HSC
essay memorising tips.. how do u do it?

my tutor insists that i memorise all my essays... it is really hard to do word for word... but i find if i dont do it i get shit marks... and if i do i top of the year.... i just repeat it over and over to memorise it.... does anyone have a better and less time consuming method...??

im also told to memorise creative writing and have been taught how to adjust both to questions... for example essays into speeches and letters... the same with creatives..

superbird

HSC
You heard the girl who got 96 UAI and she went in with a prepared essay. Personally I don't see how there's anything wrong with it. So long as you adapt it to the question.
I have memorised essays for my area of study, Brave New World/Blade Runner, and Frontline.
For King Lear I have memorised an intro and all the techniques used in various productions and quotes.

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Memorise paragraphs, because for basically everything except Lear, there is a limited amount of questions they can ask you, considering each section sticks to a basic theme. If you write out an essay or creative writing that doesnt link to the question you're in trouble. So I think just memorise paragraphs, ideas, not whole essays, and then you can use these essay and link them with the question you get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)