memorised essays (1 Viewer)

televators

HSC
this is fucking ridiculous. Learn how to write an essay under pressure you bums- if the english courses werent so screwed up, they'd have an oral/ listening component to the HSC too- it woukd stop people like yourselves mindlessly regurgitating- you'd be caught out- geez, you people to ADVANCED english for crying out loud!- if you haven't learned how to write and sustain a structured response in 6 years of schooling... why do advanced english?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Because we are big silly retards who will no doubt own you in the HSC. Goodnight.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
what i have always done is wrote really good practice essays and then memorised the main points. I do memorise the essay but dont actually rewrite it. you need to twink it to the question.Most Mod A,B,C questions are virtually the same. you need to change the intro to suit, and change topic sentences around as much as you need to. i will only use this though, if the question is similar of course. i also study most possibilities. memorising just allows you to write faster.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
televators said:
this is fucking ridiculous. Learn how to write an essay under pressure you bums- if the english courses werent so screwed up, they'd have an oral/ listening component to the HSC too- it woukd stop people like yourselves mindlessly regurgitating- you'd be caught out- geez, you people to ADVANCED english for crying out loud!- if you haven't learned how to write and sustain a structured response in 6 years of schooling... why do advanced english?
i really do see your point, but why wouldnt you memorise if it makes it easier for you. it isnt mindless as it allows you to bring your best work into the exam. if you dont make it fit the question you are stuffed. you must twink the response where needed. i practice twinking my essays for different questions because what you end up writing each time is virtually the same anyway. eg King Lear is always about why Lear is able to be reproduced in different ways. you just have to manipulate the intro topic sentences and conclusion to make it explicit.

Sophie777

I think they need to discover a new way of finding UAI's. If everyone is just memorising essay's then how are the most intelligent people going to be the ones who do the best?

DaRanjed

Apparently, the education system in America is so much better...so my uncle says.
He says their's is based more on I.Q than on memorising notes.

Sophie777

We'll have a population of lawyers and doctors who memorise procedures and when a situation that requires actual intelligence arises, they won't know what to do.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
if u memorise an essay

a) you will feel obliged to regurgitate it
b) if the question has nothing to do with it you will be put in a crap frame of mind
c) all of the above

don't do it unless its mega generic

lizzieee_

i rkn you just write a good, detailed essay, memorise the issues or the points and then change it around a bit to suit whatever question you get........... its not too hard if you're flexible.

memorising an essay word for word has got to be dangerous... :rolleyes:

tennille

HSC
Have a general idea of your essay, what order you want to put your points in. Then adapt it to the question, ensuring that you refer back to the question with evidence. Remember, it's not necessarily an essay that they might ask- it could be anything. Last year, there was an interview. So the best thing to do is have a genreal idea of what you are going to write about.

bladenia

HSC
N/A
um....... i just use the technique of memorising an essay for me to actually get all this english crap down. i cant write well constructed long 'meaty' sentances right there on the spot. if i memorise and whole essay word for word, i got my dish of sentances that i can paste onto my exam.

works for me?

um can any1 teach me how to write faster than 33 w/m, thats my cap limit atm...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
what will you do if you memorise the essays and then find that they havent asked you for an essay? what if, for example, you memorise a king lear essay and then they ask you to write a directorial statement? its very possible and i know lots of people who'd just freak out completely. its very easy to tell when someone's memorised an essay and struggled to turn it into a speech etc. or just manipulated to fit a different question. its such a gamble. and like someone has said - why are you doing advanced english if you can't just learn your texts and produce an essay. its 40 minutes worth of work, not a bloody masters thesis.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
gordo said:
if u memorise an essay

a) you will feel obliged to regurgitate it
b) if the question has nothing to do with it you will be put in a crap frame of mind
c) all of the above

don't do it unless its mega generic
nicely put. i agree. however, if, as you say, it is 'mega generic', there seems really no point in learning it all, does there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)