Memorising 5 essays for the trials... (1 Viewer)

Shizzlester

HSC
What's the best way to memorise 5 essays for the trials? It took me incredibly long to memorise my module C essay by writing it down 2 times and then reciting the rest.

Any helpful tips? I know this method which I used for module C:

www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/.../how-to-memorise-an-entire-essay-or-speech/

But it worked out badly (i.e. it was incredibly time consuming taking a few days, even though it worked out in the end). A friend of mine told me to write the essay out 10 times, but that's incredibly time consuming, especially since I have to balance my time out for other subjects, and my exam is in 6 days... I wish I had a month...

Thanks.

Revelation

HSC
associate a sexual image with each paragraph
this will help to trigger your memory in the exam

Shizzlester

HSC
with an aim of 95+, you're wasting your time.
I'm doing terrible in my other subjects xD. 95+ is the bare cut off I need to get into UWS med and a variety of courses (parents will be satisfied with that too), but 99+ is my dream. That's why I need the band 6 for Adv. English.

But right now, I'm doing not so well in my other subjects...:(.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
What's the best way to memorise 5 essays for the trials? It took me incredibly long to memorise my module C essay by writing it down 2 times and then reciting the rest.

Any helpful tips? I know this method which I used for module C:

www.stevenaitchison.co.uk/.../how-to-memorise-an-entire-essay-or-speech/

But it worked out badly (i.e. it was incredibly time consuming taking a few days, even though it worked out in the end). A friend of mine told me to write the essay out 10 times, but that's incredibly time consuming, especially since I have to balance my time out for other subjects, and my exam is in 6 days... I wish I had a month...

Thanks.

yes i could go and memorise an essay and it only takes 2 minutes x 5 = 10 minutes to remember 5 essays for the trials.
or write it out 10 times which makes it even moar practical !!!!

i mean those 10 weeks per module in English were not worthwhile in class amirite?

then when i do the hsc exam i just hope... the examiners dont care about generic, plain, memorised essays and i get a band 5 or 6.

then it doesnt matter when they showcase my work to future hsc students as a mid-range or low-range answer it doesnt matter rite??

??

/sarcasm

Memorising essays is a terrible idea, I am speaking from experience.
It also shows you do not understand the four modules in English you spent forty weeks during the HSC on.
The time you could spend writing your essays 10 times over is better off spent revising notes and quotes for your text then have a good idea what your text is about and how it is relevant to your module.
Then when you go into the trials you can be the Special Forces version of a HSC student, i.e. when the English faculty gets sneaky and requires you to respond in the form of a feature article for example, you won't be the one cursing under your breath like the others.
Then you wish you had more crazy questions.
And get 15+/20 every time.
Always.
Guaranteed.

Last edited:

Rudroll

A Chicken in my Bag!
HSC
You just need to memorise main points along with quotes.

Then leave the rest to winging it :D

q3thefish

HSC
memorising essays very good technique for doing crap in eng

crapcrapcrap modules 2moro

Enchantress91

HSC
My HSC exams consist of:

4 English essays + creative piece
4 Legal essays (crimex2, family, shelter)
2 PE extended responses
2 Business extended responses

A total of 12 essays = :eek:

Shizzlester

HSC
yes i could go and memorise an essay and it only takes 2 minutes x 5 = 10 minutes to remember 5 essays for the trials.
or write it out 10 times which makes it even moar practical !!!!

i mean those 10 weeks per module in English were not worthwhile in class amirite?

then when i do the hsc exam i just hope... the examiners dont care about generic, plain, memorised essays and i get a band 5 or 6.

then it doesnt matter when they showcase my work to future hsc students as a mid-range or low-range answer it doesnt matter rite??

??

/sarcasm

Memorising essays is a terrible idea, I am speaking from experience.
It also shows you do not understand the four modules in English you spent forty weeks during the HSC on.
The time you could spend writing your essays 10 times over is better off spent revising notes and quotes for your text then have a good idea what your text is about and how it is relevant to your module.
Then when you go into the trials you can be the Special Forces version of a HSC student, i.e. when the English faculty gets sneaky and requires you to respond in the form of a feature article for example, you won't be the one cursing under your breath like the others.
Then you wish you had more crazy questions.
And get 15+/20 every time.
Always.
Guaranteed.
I understand the 4 modules, which is why I can easily adapt it to the question. This is why I received 20/20 recently in a "perfect" Hamlet module B essay.

If you're telling me to just remember the quotes, effects and links to each text, then fair enough, I understand. But personally, I prefer memorisation over quotes only. That distinguishes me from a 14/20 to a high range. It's probably just me, I'm not sure.

Well are there any "tips" instead of "ZOMG I'VE GOT DA MEMORISING TO DO AS WELL!" ;).

lychnobity

HSC
I understand the 4 modules, which is why I can easily adapt it to the question. This is why I received 20/20 recently in a "perfect" Hamlet module B essay.

If you're telling me to just remember the quotes, effects and links to each text, then fair enough, I understand. But personally, I prefer memorisation over quotes only. That distinguishes me from a 14/20 to a high range. It's probably just me, I'm not sure.

Well are there any "tips" instead of "ZOMG I'VE GOT DA MEMORISING TO DO AS WELL!" ;).
If you're the type to memorise, breaking it up makes your job easier.

Focus on memorising 1 paragraph at a time. Read it 3 times, and then say it/perform it as a speech, out loud (without looking). As long as you get the gist of the paragraph, the correct wording doesn't matter. If you've got a decent vocabulary, this method is useful.

tjmitchell

HSC
My HSC exams consist of:

4 English essays + creative piece
4 Legal essays (crimex2, family, shelter)
2 PE extended responses
2 Business extended responses

A total of 12 essays = :eek:

yeah i dont think legal requires two essays on crime. isnt it to pick one of the two essays in each of your focus study and the crime/ torts/ human rights blablabla part..?
if your teacher is making you do two essays on the one topic, your getting ripped off..

mira.mourad

HSC
I'm doing terrible in my other subjects xD. 95+ is the bare cut off I need to get into UWS med and a variety of courses (parents will be satisfied with that too), but 99+ is my dream. That's why I need the band 6 for Adv. English.

But right now, I'm doing not so well in my other subjects...:(.
THe english exam markers are going to be quite lenient because we are the first year to do the new area of study (belonging) and modules A, B, and C, and since we are the first year, they dont know what to expect regardless if they've done the guidelines. (so my teacher says !!!)

to memorise the essays you just have to remember technique+quote+ effect and relate to question. simple easy and effective:). goodluck

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
youll never get a good mark if you memorise generic essays on the topic.
markers want to see you argue your case, not desperately try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Reading your essays OUTLOUD is scientifically the best method for memorisation, since it uses more of your senses. Read it out a fair few times and it will stick like glue. That's what i done

icola

HSC

If your essays are already "perfect" and you understand the modules well enough to adapt it to the question, what is the point of memorising? It seems like a waste of time to spend your study time remembering essays which you will most probably have to deconstruct anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)