Mental illness, and the problematic social stigmas that are attached (1 Viewer)

Stelleee

HSC
I wanted to make this thread just to see how many people share the same issue, and to hear from those who also care.
Throughout my life, I've had contact with many people that suffer from mental illnesses, regardless of whether this is just clinical depression or anxiety, bipolar, schizophrenia, whatever - there are always certain people who attach these things to derogatory stigmas. I've heard it so many times - sociopathic suicide jokes, the uncanny "If you slit your wrist, why don't you kill yourself?" scenarios, stereotypical horror movie plots where it turns out the reason some man stabbed 40 people was because he had schizophrenia. Does anyone else find similar issues?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
This site has a few good examples. The moment anyone exhibits symptoms of depression/anxiety, they're quick to say derogatory things - often to said person's detriment.

Tasteless

HSC
This site has a few good examples. The moment anyone exhibits symptoms of depression/anxiety, they're quick to say derogatory things - often to said person's detriment.
Too true, hyper aggressive and hostile shitheads are prevalent around these parts of the intertubes.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I would say that most of the people who share their issues on this site are not a true reflection of people with mental illness.

That isn't to say that reacting aggressively to them isn't bad but saying "I didn't get 100 in my math test so now I have severe depression" is not indicative of someone with an actual mental disorder.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I would say that most of the people who share their issues on this site are not a true reflection of people with mental illness.

That isn't to say that reacting aggressively to them isn't bad but saying "I didn't get 100 in my math test so now I have severe depression" is not indicative of someone with an actual mental disorder.
Fair point, but the few that show real symptoms cop the same - if not worse treatment.

Maybe people can't differentiate?

BTW, where is your sig from?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I would actually disagree and say that if you had a real problem people would actually help.

And I don't know, i just found it.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I would actually disagree and say that if you had a real problem people would actually help.

And I don't know, i just found it.
That's just it. If someone has depression or anxiety, they don't need a problem to feel what they do. It's just there.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
You know what I meant.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Also, depression can be both circumstantial and mental.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes and no. If you sought professional treatment you wouldn't find such issues.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Bi Polar and schizophrenia.
Yeah what up BoS

teabag

do it
HSC
which is why people should seek *professional* help rather than from peers of a similar age group on a study forum

Last edited:

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
which is why people should seek *professional* help rather than from peers of a similar age group on a study forum
Professional help takes time to have an effect. What if they are currently seeking said help, but are still a target? It has happened.

Anyway, the point is that these people should not be preyed on at all.

teabag

do it
HSC
Professional help takes time to have an effect. What if they are currently seeking said help, but are still a target? It has happened.

Anyway, the point is that these people should not be preyed on at all.
ugh

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Bi Polar and schizophrenia.
Yeah what up BoS
I would never be able to tell you were schizophrenic
Is it managed with medication? Do you relapse if you are off medication?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It can be just as serious or worse than a physical illness.

JustDance

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
well, it's much easier today, and hell, who cares about other people...my piece of advice - f*ck em

ShadowLighte

HSC
Sure it's way easier in comparison to the way it was before but nonetheless it's still hard. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like it's still something that people don't like to talk about or they over-exaggerate it or potentially worse, they brush it off as nothing. That is, I think when you tell people that you have a mental illness they think you're a freak and are going insane as if you need to be put into a high security mental institution or whatnot when the person you last spoke to could be suffering from it and you didn't even notice.

Also, I get really annoyed/ frustrated when people don't get what they want or something and they're like 'I'm so depressed!'. I doubt people with mental illnesses would actually do that. That just makes the term 'depression' something less serious. When people hear that nowadays it's just 'oh they're just depressed, don't worry about it'.

Eg. Take my mum. Not sure about my dad 'cause we don't talk much but my mum .. doesn't really believe in mental illness as the way that it actually is. Her view is distorted to thinking that people with mental illnesses are freaks and people you shouldn't even look at nor associate yourself with and that's really sad but it also kind of angers me. It's frustrating because I have social anxiety and depression and have had it for quite a long time and though she noticed the changes she didn't see them as a potential health problem but rather viewed my depression as being 'lazy and moody' and my SA as 'just shy/quiet/likes being quiet'.

Whenever she hears of suicides she says that those people are extremely selfish and goes on to rant about that and demonises them, not seeing that if a person had to kill themselves to feel better, they must have been going through hell. With people who self harm she says they're stupid etc. and I just sit there quietly and try not to say anything to counter what she says because god knows what would happen then.

But yeah, so I can't get help atm. Let's just hope I don't do anything drastic before I do. I really hope things change and people really need to be educated about mental illnesses. Seriously. In school it isn't really focused on when it really should be, especially depression because it's mental, it's like a silent killer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)