Merits of Melbourne Uni (1 Viewer)

Maths Tutor Li

HSC
I have read all the stuff regarding the importance of which uni you do law at, and I have noticed that Melbourne Uni has been sorta marginalised.

Is this because that Uni of Syd and UNSW are truely better than Uni Melb or is it that most of the people posting the information reside in NSW so their insight into Uni Melb is limited?

I live in Melbourne and down here everyone says that Melb Uni is the best in the country to do law.

And thanx to moonlightsonata for you awesome law guide, it's way betta than my careers teacher and all the open days i go to =].

Oh yea, and the UAI that people mention. Is that the same as the ENTER score they give in Victoria?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
melb has become homo because its now post graduate only... if you get the UAI/TER/FAG/ENTER why wouldn't u go to monash because you'll graduate in 5 years, cost less and you're guarenteed a place because entry depends on your performance in your undergradaute programme.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Maths Tutor Li said:
I have read all the stuff regarding the importance of which uni you do law at, and I have noticed that Melbourne Uni has been sorta marginalised.

Is this because that Uni of Syd and UNSW are truely better than Uni Melb or is it that most of the people posting the information reside in NSW so their insight into Uni Melb is limited?

I live in Melbourne and down here everyone says that Melb Uni is the best in the country to do law.

And thanx to moonlightsonata for you awesome law guide, it's way betta than my careers teacher and all the open days i go to =].

Oh yea, and the UAI that people mention. Is that the same as the ENTER score they give in Victoria?
The primary reason for there not being much on Vic unis around here is that this started as, and is still mainly, a NSW site. They only opened the Victoria section last year iirc, so most of the university content focuses on NSW unis.

I have no idea what Melbourne's like relative to Sydney et al, but as they're top-tier unis (for Australia, anyway) I'm sure that it doesn't make an enormous amount of difference. And UAI is equivalent to ENTER, as far as I'm aware.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Maths Tutor Li said:

Well, I don't know about the best in the country. That's a very difficult thing to measure. But as far as I understand it, the University of Melbourne is a fantastic university and has a very high reputation for law. (Indeed it was attended by Australia's greatest jurist, Sir Owen Dixon!) But since this site deals primarily with NSW subjects and institutions and the vast majority of students on here are not from Victoria, obviously NSW universities get more of the focus.

I'm sure in Victoria the most talked-about universities for law are Melbourne and Monash. But yes, generally in NSW the focus is on USyd and UNSW.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MS you just gave me an idea...

IF we had a standard legal system across Australia, with standard legislation/case law and standard legal education, then we could have standardised testing, a la HSC =]

then we would know which uni is the 'best' for law based on how high their average.... ummm... LAI (lawyers admission index?) or ENLER (equivalent national legal education rank?) are...

just a thought ;)

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I'm sure in Victoria the most talked-about universities for law are Melbourne and Monash. But yes, generally in NSW the focus is on USyd and UNSW.
It's true. I only just found out that Deakin offers law when I looked it up just then. The choice was really only ever between Monash and Melbourne for me.

I'm doing first-year undergraduate law at Melbourne and so far it's excellent - I've had no problem with any of the teachers, all the staff seem to be willing to help you, the work is challenging but not impossible and you're treated well. The building is gorgeous with great technology and is very laptop friendly. They're very organised about getting you assignments and information on time. I can't really see the standard going down anytime soon.
My group was the last intake for the LLB, though - it's postgraduate only from next year onwards, so I figure people not wanting to pay through the nose for their law education will be heading in droves towards Monash or other states.

As to how much its worth upon graduation compared to other Australian universities, I'm not sure, but it's generally regarded as the best law school in Victoria.

koube0530

HSC
Word is Monash is a lot better than Melbourne. Melbourne might be a tad harder to get into, but getting a degree out of Monash is apparently a lot more worthwhile.

For starters, Monash marks a lot harder than Melbourne, according to many students. Employers realise this and they'll look at Monash marks in a better light.

Xytech

HSC
N/A
lets not get into a monash and melb debate
i'm at monash - its great
so is melb
they are so close that you might as well call them equal these days, so just leave it at that.

Maths Tutor Li

HSC
Which one would be better, a JD or a LLB?

And do you get to have Dr. before your name if you are a JD?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Maths Tutor Li said:
Which one would be better, a JD or a LLB?

And do you get to have Dr. before your name if you are a JD?
no, they are the equivalent in the sense that they are both first degrees in law.

a JD would suggest a slightly higher level of difficulty, as it is intended to be a graduate degree. in Australia, however, LLBs are the norm.

phrred

HSC
As said before this is very NSW orientated

Melb n Monash = USYD n NSW
RMIT= UTS
Deakin= Macquarie?

No one really knows La Trobe very well down here

is a roflcopter
HSC
i disagree
i think unsw is lower LOL

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
Melb + Monash > UNSW + USyd
and by what means will two law schools combine? your comparison is unrealistic.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Melbourne Uni are a bunch of wankers... and that's not a generalist statement, it's because of their introduction of the Melbourne Model (also known as the Growing Esteem strategic plan).

The Melbourne Model, which is due to be implemented in 2008, will require students to complete a three-year generalist degree before they can undertake study toward a professional qualification at postgraduate level. Loosely based on US and European models of tertiary education, the Melbourne Model is Melbourne University’s latest attempt to fundamentally transform higher education in Australia for the benefit of the most elite universities. If successful, the model will allow wealthy, well-resourced universities to shift most of their focus to the more lucrative postgraduate market – leaving the main burden of undergraduate studies to a second, plebeian tier of educational institutions.

Melbourne is effectively restricting the right of access of education through many endeavours such as creating a system where "non-graduate school feeder courses" such as many 'artsy' subjects are abolished in favour of the money spinning graduate subjects. Further, when you take into account the fact that Melbourne University has lobbied the federal government to scrap the 35% limit on fee paying domestic students, the University’s assurance that it has its eye on equity issues rings a little hollow.

But I guess this doesn't apply to you if mummy and daddy can afford the fees.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I hope I'm not covered as one of the wankers - I'm in the last year of the LLB and my bachelor of creative arts is getting screwed over by the Melbourne Model. At least the LLB seems to be running OK, but that's just because they're all compulsory subjects thus far - if they restrict our later-year options and don't let us do JD subjects, there's going to be a huge uproar.

It's a money making scam, we all know it.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Strawbaby said:
if they restrict our later-year options and don't let us do JD subjects, there's going to be a huge uproar.

It's a money making scam, we all know it.
JD subjects are regarded as postgrad subjects though. Is it speculation or are serious discussions in the works regarding integrating the JD and LLB program during the LLB's final years?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
This is a feudal society and the Melbourne Model just adds to that. Basically, this new model will work like this.

Rich kids living in traditional eastern suburbs (such as Toorak, Canterbury etc) will go to prestigious private schools in the east which cost $15,000 p.a (e.g. Scotch College, Melbourne Grammar). The schools there will have a median ENTER (UAI-equivalent) of 95 and some 8% of their students will score over 99. These kids will enter Melbourne University and complete their basic degree, drinking latte at the Law School's Brunetti Cafeteria everyday and partying at Prince in St. Kilda at nightfall. After undergraduate, they'll pay $40,000 p.a upfront to complete their J.D. They'll go practise law at Mallesons or Allens and continue raising kids in the eastern surburbs.

Access to education and concepts of an egalitarian society have been out of the door for many years. Melbourne University and Monash University are venues almost exclusively made up of a handful of demographics.

Congratulations on the Melbourne Model for taking feudalism to the next stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)