Merlin... again (1 Viewer)

400miles

According to the Sydney morning herald Merlin was at it again...
I read in the paper today that (although it was not broadcast) Merlin apparantly removed his beanie to reveal the word 'Sorry' and then unfurled an Aboriginal flag.

I can't find this on the SMH website to provide a link but I'm 100% sure I read this in the SMH paper today at school.

What do you think?

I reckon this second one was going a bit far. He got his point through the first time, and I think it's unfair for him to attempt to turn another episode of BB into his own political arena. I thought also (even though I agree with both statements he made) that by making the second statement last night he was taking away from his initial protest.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
merlin...what a dumbass.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
people will go to great lengths to do some things they believe in

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
He wrote "free ta refugees" right?

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
I have no time for him.

His attempts at pushing left-wing reform are not going to go anywhere.

On this point, why should we say sorry for things we had no part in and we make obvious that we condemn today?

I suppose the only alternative to doing nothing is saying sorry, bulldozing over 300 years of development, and letting them have their way of life back?

Aboriginals confuse me.... the fact that certain groups demand apologies insults me. The whole Redfern thing was disguisting in my eyes, its no wonder we dont cave to their demands when they do that sorta thing!

that's my 2 cents.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
'the whole Redfern thing'? you mean when the police caused the death of a teenager and they got upset about it? yeah, that was so uncalled for

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
^ is that really the point anyway?? :rolleyes:

He's associated with Big Brother .. hardly the best political platform :rolleyes:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
'Sorry' = Admittance of Guilt

Admittance of Guilt = Litigation

It happened in Canada :uhhuh:

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
crazyhomo said:
'the whole Redfern thing'? you mean when the police caused the death of a teenager and they got upset about it? yeah, that was so uncalled for
Believe what you will. I've not read anything that alledges that "the police killed TJ Hickey" nor have heard about or seen successful prosecutions. Innocent until proven guilty, right?

The 'Redfern thing' i refer to is the riots and the trouble that those people caused. I heard Ms Hickey on AM one day.... She had no sense of reason, let alone a half decent grasp of the English language... apart from the cursing.. she seemed to know that pretty well.

I do not sympathise for those Redfern Aboriginals, not if they wanted to behave the way they did.... they make the rest of their 'race' look bad, and I really do not think its fair that they do that.

Do you advocate rioting? Do you support their reaction?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
simpole facts

simlpe facts

it was a tragic accident and thats it

TJ wasnt a saint

redfern is the way it because of white australians

the current indiegnous situation is not their fault

only the indigenous people can fix it

peace

lengstar

HSC
I think what Merlin is doing is great, more than i can say for money making fiends

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
his first stance was a good movie. it was 'shocking' it was a surprise it got his point across.

this was just stupid, why would he carry an aboriginal flag saying sorry. he is a refugee, he is not an australian citizen, this issue has nothing to do with him (sure you can say that it has to do with everyone in australia sure yeah, but its not concerning him more then you or i, like the refugee issue).

i dont underatnd what he is trying to do, is he trying to be a spokesperson for everything political in australia? whats his next sign going to say? "Free the Whales"? He is just becoming a political protestor instead of trying to stick to a fight against something he believes in.

in my opinion, bad move merlin and lucky it wsant shown on tv for your sake.

rumour

HSC
tWiStEdD said:
Believe what you will. I've not read anything that alledges that "the police killed TJ Hickey" nor have heard about or seen successful prosecutions. Innocent until proven guilty, right?

The 'Redfern thing' i refer to is the riots and the trouble that those people caused. I heard Ms Hickey on AM one day.... She had no sense of reason, let alone a half decent grasp of the English language... apart from the cursing.. she seemed to know that pretty well.

I do not sympathise for those Redfern Aboriginals, not if they wanted to behave the way they did.... they make the rest of their 'race' look bad, and I really do not think its fair that they do that.

Do you advocate rioting? Do you support their reaction?
People have the right to protest!!!!!

stamos

sellout
HSC
neo_o said:
'Sorry' = Admittance of Guilt

Admittance of Guilt = Litigation

It happened in Canada :uhhuh:
we were discussing that last session and for what it's worth... prue vines (unsw legal academic) says that john howard saying 'sorry' wouldn't be enough for people to litigate against the government

she said the prime minister's statements and the legal personality of australia are two seperate things, and that people use that argument as a scare tactic

edit: As for the fact 'it happened in canada', I don't really know about it. What Prue said is more persuasive simply because it applies to our own jurisdiction.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I was watching the Panel last week and they made a comment that was funny.... they said that the special thing about Big Brother was that it was just so mundane lol.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
rumour, please... spare me..

i never said people dont have the right to protest... they just dont have the right to riot.

its a pity that we spend so much time dwelling on this when there are so many more imporatant issues.... war being one of them. terrorism, another.

I do not have a problem with aboriginals, kids... i just have a problem with the way it was dealt with by the Aboriginal population.

White Australia V Black Australia has changed a lot since colonisation. We work together these days, we share schools, we share the Australian experience... Today i see the issue as mutual distrust and Aboriginal anger at the way they have been treated over time. I think it is symbolic enough that they get special welfare benefits for being Aboriginal. Affirmative action.. its an outdated concept.

please, people... dont bad rep me unless i really deserve it... i was not hateful in my post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)