• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Merlin... again (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
I usually don't read the SMH because its the size of a table cloth, and its to "intellectual" for me. I prefer the Tele.
It all begins to make sense now...

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
its a concurrent power doofus

the federal governments grants money to the states to spend on their 'terms and conditions' ...in relaity the federal government controls education spending...

if your not sure look atsection 96 of the Australian Constiutution
So then, why at the last state "mini-budget" did education rise? One would assume that the Commonwealth would set a minimum, but hey...I haven't read the constitution.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
edudation spending rise? What went up...ull have to clarify...
At the "mini-budget" spending on education went up...although the Carr was saying we were broke.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
whats your point ?
I'm just asking why did it go up? Did the Commonwealth force us to increase it when we were "broke"???

Sophie777

tWiStEdD said:
I have no time for him.

His attempts at pushing left-wing reform are not going to go anywhere.

On this point, why should we say sorry for things we had no part in and we make obvious that we condemn today?

I suppose the only alternative to doing nothing is saying sorry, bulldozing over 300 years of development, and letting them have their way of life back?

Aboriginals confuse me.... the fact that certain groups demand apologies insults me. The whole Redfern thing was disguisting in my eyes, its no wonder we dont cave to their demands when they do that sorta thing!

that's my 2 cents.
Don't you think saying sorry is the least we can do to recognise their suffering? And as for when 'they' do that sort of thing. The entire aboriginal race does not live in redfern and the entire race should then not be condemned or disallowed an apology for a past of violence and awful brutality due to an act of stupidity from a portion of Aboriginals isolated to Redfern.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm sorry about what they went thru.. but i don't see why they want us to say sorry so badly, many people claim that saying sorry isn't us waving legal right... but a large group of aboriginals sure think it is (note: inteview with aboriginal leader at the tent embassy, they expect backrent).

What i don't get is.. that it wasn't THEM who suffered and it wasn't US who caused the suffering, im not sure but i doubt that germans constantly say sorry for killing jews, I don't think japan says sorry for participating in the war, america doesn't say sorry for bombing japan, england doesn't say sorry for fighting france, france doesn't say sorry for taking over england, england doesn't say sorry for taking england back.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
BTW, I met him in the hols. He's very passionate about it, but his points go off track of what he said. He still hasn't been naturalised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)