MGMT 1001 assignment one...anyone else feel confused? (1 Viewer)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I would have defined the Fayols approach and the Modern approach, then looked for points of similarity and contrast. The amount of similarity/difference tells you how relevant the theory still is.
I did something similar. Except that I didn't define the approaches, because you're not supposed to define them.

Basically, I noticed how several of the references in the given reference list discussed the similarities between Fayol's model of management and contemporary models of management. So I used those similarities as one argument.

I also analyzed an article that actually took a look at how Fayol's principles of management were faring today. I didn't discuss his principles at all, only the reasoning behind why several of his principles aren't relevant today, so in a way, I sort of twisted it to fit my argument on Fayol's functions of management.

None of the references will ever clearly talk about service economies. (I learned this halfway through the first article.) You just sort of have to analyze and twist everything to your advantage.

Last edited:

Question2

HSC
N/A
What modern approach? Does it have another name?

I couldnt find any sources that even discussed the nature of a service economy. Everything was off topic...things like importance of innovation in a service economy, or how well its doing in america...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The modern approach would just be contemporary models of management. Basically how management works today. It's not a separate category in its own right, it is built upon the theories and approaches that came before it.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
What modern approach? Does it have another name?

I couldnt find any sources that even discussed the nature of a service economy. Everything was off topic...things like importance of innovation in a service economy, or how well its doing in america...
Modern approaches meaning contemporary models of management. So you're looking at models from Mintzberg, Hales, etc. Fayol's classical approach was from the late 1940s, so anything after the 1960s or 1970s might be classified as contemporary. At the very least, they'll be classified as more recent, focusing more on the importance of workers in an organisation and all that.

And like I said, you'll probably never find anything that actually discusses the nature of a service economy. Instead, you'll find details about how workers are treated now, how organisations are structured today, etc. It's up to you to piece all of that info together, say "Hey, this is what employees do in a service economy" or "Hey, this is what organisations are like in a service economy", and then talk about how relevant Fayol's functions of management are today.

Question2

HSC
N/A
We need to have multiple points right? So far i've got two :

1.That just because the economy has changed to a service economy doesn't invalidate fayol's theories because they are meant to be flexible

2.That Fayol's theories are still widely used in contemporary management

I'm guessing we need to have at least 3 or 4, with one paragraph in the body being devoted to each?

Kind of stuck on finding additional points now that i can backup with sources...i can talk about how fayol's functions still apply in a service economy, but i just need to find a source that can provide evidence to back it up. Unless i don't need the source as evidence?

Question2

HSC
N/A
Okay just got the following update from my tutor :

-You shouldn't just mention contemporary management because even in the modern day, not all economies are service economies, it has to be specifically service economies

-You CAN use more than 2 additional sources. So for example you can use two compulsory sources and 2-4 additional sources.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
We need to have multiple points right? So far i've got two :

1.That just because the economy has changed to a service economy doesn't invalidate fayol's theories because they are meant to be flexible

2.That Fayol's theories are still widely used in contemporary management

I'm guessing we need to have at least 3 or 4, with one paragraph in the body being devoted to each?

Kind of stuck on finding additional points now that i can backup with sources...i can talk about how fayol's functions still apply in a service economy, but i just need to find a source that can provide evidence to back it up. Unless i don't need the source as evidence?
Always need evidence to back up your points. Always.

Okay just got the following update from my tutor :

-You shouldn't just mention contemporary management because even in the modern day, not all economies are service economies, it has to be specifically service economies

-You CAN use more than 2 additional sources. So for example you can use two compulsory sources and 2-4 additional sources.
Well darn, haha. I knew I should've kept the part where I talked about only some countries turning into service economies, like the USA! Ah well, I won't sweat it now, I already handed it in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)