Miranda Devine isn't my cup of tea (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
http://smh.com.au/news/miranda-devi...s-lost-the-plot/2006/03/18/1142582570062.html

smh said:
"In the face of extremely difficult odds, the Iraqi people are trying to expand the realm of what people think is possible in that part of the world. They voted, then wrote and ratified their own constitution, and then they voted again.

"And now their freely elected leaders are debating, and arguing, and compromising. In other words, they are engaging in a process called democracy."

The anti-war protesters who picketed Rice might try having more faith in the Iraqis and the brave soldiers like my friend who are supporting them

"I think it is right that we are here," wrote my friend last week on his 39th birthday, "and that we support these people against the thugs, criminals and terrorists who would try and turn back the clock on them".

Some of the most banal shit I've ever come across in the Herald. You would have to be dillusional to be her "friend" in the first place, and ostensibly, considering this article, that must be true. I would love to see Miranda Devine actually go to Iraq and do her own research as opposed to inflicting on us "commentary", which amounts to nothing more than unsubstantiated, overtly biased, cliched rhetoric.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Re: Miranda Devine is a dirty minging cunt-face.

At the moment I'm being taught media theory by the same guy who taught Ms. Devine. :eek:

HSC

Man, I can't stand her either, what a conservative bitch, her columns are rarely anything other than excruciatingly opiniated and one-sided

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC

Yes, yes she is. But it's hard to tell if she actually believes what she writes or whether she enjoys pissing people off (its her job as an opinion writer).

Still to base your article on what some unnamed friend said to her is pretty spurious.

Last edited:

Riewe

HSC

I guess if we have one-sided liberal writers then it is acceptable to have one-sided conservatives.

Having all these wonderful views is a sign of democracy in practice

aaaman

Banned
HSC

Trippendicular said:
Man, I love democracy
i hate that corrupt system, fuck the arrogance of ppl such as yourself besides im not surpised you were at the tunnel at central station asking me to protest against her...i was proud to tell them to fuck off pity he didnt say anything back i wanted to knock him out and i had the boys with me

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

absolution* said:
Some of the most banal shit I've ever come across in the Herald. You would have to be dillusional to be her "friend" in the first place, and ostensibly, considering this article, that must be true. I would love to see Miranda Devine actually go to Iraq and do her own research as opposed to inflicting on us "commentary", which amounts to nothing more than unsubstantiated, overtly biased, cliched rhetoric.
So the testimony of someone in Iraq isn't good enough now?

Not one of you have said anything to counter anything in the article, or indeed anything but insults. Exactly what part of it do you disagree with? Why?

Do you support the terrorists?

aaaman

Banned
HSC

Damage Inc. said:
Why not? It's their country that was invaded.
*aaaman calls terrorist hotline*

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Damage Inc. said:
Why not? It's their country that was invaded.
The terrorists that come in from other countries?

No, seriously, the majority of people in Iraq are not terrorists, thugs, etc. Would you support terrorist attacks on Australian soil so long as they were commited by Australian citizens on foreign targets (eg. embassies)?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Damage Inc. said:
Australia went and supported several Asian countries and Pacific Islands during WWII, how is this different?
The Asian countries and Pacific Islands were occupied by Imperialist Japanese whose aim was to establish permanent control over this terrority, which was opposed by the majority of citizens within the country.

In Iraq, while the majority of citizens would indeed be happy when the Americans are able to leave, this is not possible due to the violent minority who wish to re-establish that had been removed in the first place. The Americans are there to allow the Iraqis to estabish a democracy, not to permanently annexe Iraq to America.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Damage Inc. said:
How do you know the majority of Iraqis didn't want Hussein to stay? Did you go and survey them?
The thousands of dead ones probably didn't like him.

How do you know, Gh3y? Do the Iraqi people want a democracy?
I don't need to survey them for that, they voted.

Comrade nathan

HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
So the testimony of someone in Iraq isn't good enough now?

Not one of you have said anything to counter anything in the article, or indeed anything but insults. Exactly what part of it do you disagree with? Why?

Do you support the terrorists?
I went to a anti war meeting where a lady from the Hunter who is currently working in Iraq with orphaned children gave a bit of a different scenerio.

She said the basic attitude of most Iraqs was that the US and ally forces are not welcome. She also said that what the Western media did not cover was the main platform that most parties in the election went on was a promise they could make the US leave.

So it is often boasted by the imperialists about how many Iraqi's came out to vote, thought they don't mention with the intention of voting the US out of Iraq.

This contradicts with Miranda Devine's article, which portrays the imperialists as welcomed by the people of Iraq. Her article is trying to promote support for the invading soldiers, not faith in the Iraq people.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Comrade nathan said:
I went to a anti war meeting where a lady from the Hunter who is currently working in Iraq with orphaned children gave a bit of a different scenerio.

She said the basic attitude of most Iraqs was that the US and ally forces are not welcome. She also said that what the Western media did not cover was the main platform that most parties in the election went on was a promise they could make the US leave.

So it is often boasted by the imperialists about how many Iraqi's came out to vote, thought they don't mention with the intention of voting the US out of Iraq.

This contradicts with Miranda Devine's article, which portrays the imperialists as welcomed by the people of Iraq. Her article is trying to promote support for the invading soldiers, not faith in the Iraq people.
I already said it's obivous the Iraqis will be glad to see the troops leave. Hopefully by then they shall have their own troops, funnily enough trained by the "Imperialists".

It doesn't matter what the platform was, without the "Imperialists" they wouldn't be having any platform at all, and they won't live long enough to have another if the troops do not stay until their job is done.

Comrade nathan

HSC
I already said it's obivous the Iraqis will be glad to see the troops leave.
Both sides argue this. The difference is the US and their allies claim they have to stay untill the job is finished. So they are willing to stay as long as that takes.

The parties who ran in the election portrayed themselves as having the ability to make the imperialists leave as soon as possible, and once they leave the violence will stop.

The lady also said that many groups who are a part of the resistance have said they would have a cease fire and come to negiotations if the US would leave. This makes sense when most of the fighting in Iraq has been against the foreign forces or people who are collaborating with the foreign forces. The later are considered civilians most of the time.

Anyway you wanted a counter to the article. So i gave it.

Devine claims we must support the troops to support the Iraqi people, and things are going all fine, she bases this on a soldier serving in Iraq. I say that to support the Iraqi people is to be anti imperialist, based on a lady who is a social worker in Iraq.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Both sides argue this. The difference is the US and their allies claim they have to stay untill the job is finished. So they are willing to stay as long as that takes.

The parties who ran in the election portrayed themselves as having the ability to make the imperialists leave as soon as possible, and once they leave the violence will stop.

The lady also said that many groups who are a part of the resistance have said they would have a cease fire and come to negiotations if the US would leave. This makes sense when most of the fighting in Iraq has been against the foreign forces or people who are collaborating with the foreign forces. The later are considered civilians most of the time.

Anyway you wanted a counter to the article. So i gave it.

Devine claims we must support the troops to support the Iraqi people, and things are going all fine, she bases this on a soldier serving in Iraq. I say that to support the Iraqi people is to be anti imperialist, based on a lady who is a social worker in Iraq.
I love it when you use the word imperialist Nathan.

It makes me moist :eek:

gerhard

HSC
devine isnt as bad as akerman or albreichstein. just more people seem to read herald than tele or australian here.

both akerman and albreich seem to write an article a week about how terrible the labour party are and how australia loves howard and how good he is. there is no critical analysis, no thoughts of why this is so, how labour could improve etc. Only attacks on 'inner city latte drinkers' or something. It amazes me how they can write an entire article that says nothing every sinlge week and no one notices.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i love it when people say " iam against ehw war" its a real crackup, like derr war isnt usually a good thing, people die.

not me though, i love war, fuck em all lets blow up some iraqis!

shalalalalalalla *BOOM* HEADSHOT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)