Missed Cut-off for Commerce by 0.35???? (1 Viewer)

minzoir

HSC
Hey Guys,
I need some advice,
So I got an Atar of 94.25, also will receive 2 bonus points for band 5 in Eng Adv.

- (1st question: do these 2 points correlate to 2 atar points?)

The cut-off for the course is 96.7 (2011) so assuming the answer to the above question is yes then I will only just miss out on the cut-off.

- 2nd Question: I read on here that sometimes the course's cut-off is inflated and many people get an offer even though their atar is below the stated requirements. I hope this is the case for B Commerce, maybe that's why a few other course's have the same cut-off (96.7)? Does anyone know if this is the case for UNSW, and if so, would I be likely to be accepted?

- 3rd Question: Say that I would not get in, would calling up and asking for an interview give me a chance? A friend recommended this to me as it shows initiative and suggests that I am very keen on the course. Has anyone else had any past experience with this and would it be advantageous for me?

Any constructive advice is very welcome, thank you!
minzoir

broncos123

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking the same atm. I got 87.2, however I am eligible for 5 bonus and that's not including EAS. The two bonus mean that your atar doesn't become 96.7, but UNSW somewhat see your mark as that. It is possible for the mark to go down if there's not much demand. Not sure about the interview, but I'm hoping I get enough EAS points and am lucky enough to get in. Sorry if I wasn't that helpful.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
1) Bonus points are equivalent to increasing your ATAR but obviously the terms differ between universities if they offer such a pathway.

2) That "inflatedness" probably comes from the university taking into account bonus points. The ATAR cut-off is an indicator of the last student who got accepted (lowest ATAR) in a particular round. There is no go-around there.

3) It really wouldn't hurt but I would doubt your chances. Universities have limited spots for a reason and trying to get in through an interview defeats the purpose of using UAC's services.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As you don't know what the cut-off will be for your cohort you could be jumping the gun.

I do know of a student, some years ago now, who got into a course with 10 points below the cut-off because she had shown extreme keeness for about 6 months before the exams - went into the uni, spoke the the head of the faculty, did work experience in the field, rang them immediately she had her ATAR and asked what she could do having failed to get the marks she would need - and they had her write a letter setting out what she had already done - she got in and ended up passing the course with distinctions and credit for everything.

minzoir

HSC
Hmm, yeah, I'm not trying to get an interview so I can get straight in, I only missed out by a small amount so it's more to get just a tiny edge so that they may consider me over other people. I've just heard that if the recruiters/head of faculty see your application and if you have personally contacted them then you are not just another number but a familiar face. I went well in my subjects, it's just English dragged me down (plus the low scaling of the subjects i chose). They offer bonus points for Mathematics, but none for General Math, maybe because I achieved a high band 6 in General math they may take this into account? The same goes for Business Studies.
Anyway, good luck broncos, hope you get into your desired course,
Thanks guys for your responses,
Anymore is definitely welcomed

Herb-Q

HSC
N/A
1) Yes, so UNSW will consider you to have an ATAR of 96.25

2) Remember that there is always the second round. I know of people who got accepted in the second round even though their ATAR was at least 5 points lower than the cut off for the main round.

3) Not sure. But if someone has done it before then you should give it a go as well.

AND

You can always apply for a Bachelor of Economics which usually has a lower ATAR cut off, do very well in your first year and then transfer to commerce. Many of the first year Commerce and Economics subjects overlap so you won't be far behind.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
UNSW don't count General Maths or Business Studies for HSC Plus as far as I know.

arsenal4life

HSC
Isn't advanced mathematics assumed knowledge for Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)