Missing first 2 weeks of semester - death wish? (1 Viewer)

artist91

HSC
So I got into a summer studio at Columbia Uni in NYC which runs from July 6 - August 6 next year. Really want to do this but the problem is uni semester starts July 26 so I would be missing the first 2 weeks of the semester.

Do you think it's possible to catch up after missing the first 2 weeks? Or will I be too far behind and end up with mediocre marks?

Thanks guys :)

Doomah

HSC
naaaaaaaah 2 weeks is ok, 1st week is all b.s.... just spend the 3rd week cramming everything and cathing up

oh some courses may have pracs starting in 2nd week.....

Otacon2009

HSC
Missing the two weeks first two weeks mean you'll be catching up as well as staying ahead. Because it's two weeks, it's nothing bad as long as you have good time management skills.

LordPc

HSC
as long as you want to catch up, you should be fine.

the first lecture is usually nothing, just course outlines and stuff that you should know ("This is course home page. clicking this link here which says 'Lecture notes' will take you to the page with the lecture notes, which you can print out and bring to class during semester". the first few weeks are important, as you will build on that knowledge. but then again, you will be using those concepts throughout the semester, so you should be able to solidify them before the exam. the easy stuff is also in the first few weeks

if you are going for absolute top marks, it might be a little hard, but as i said, if you are committed to catching up, you should be fine

merillem

HSC
What a great opportunity. Do it!
Missing two weeks of class is peanuts in the grand scheme of life - going to the summer session overseas is worth x10 on your resume!

You should:
- Talk to the convenors of your sem 2 units. Tell them about the opportunity. It's unlikely they'll try to stand in your way - any decent prof will support pro-active students going for this type of program. If they want to be a douche about it ditch their class...it's likely to be shit ;0
- Check if there are any compulsory readings for your sem 2 units and do them in advance
- Check if there are any compulsory practicals/tutorials and make arrangements to catch these up if possible or do the work in advance.

Don't forget to check with your international office if they offer any travel grants/scholarships to support this type of activity.

Takuto

HSC
People miss (i.e. jig) 10+ weeks and still get high marks. Uni's about self study mostly..

Only thing you really need to worry about is tiny marks handed out in the week 2 tutorials/prac.. but you can sort that out with your tutors np.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)