Modern History Essay Guide (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I do not know if any of these steps make sense, since it is basically what I gathered from the spot and my mind is a little fuzzy from finishing the HSC last year. :)
I think that's a pretty decent approach towards these kind of questions - I'm pretty sure I did something similar for my HSC. Just to reinterate something you mentioned, just because a source is unreliable DOES NOT necessarily make it useless. A source can be unreliable and useful depending on the other factors used to assess usefullness.

Uy Fire

HSC
At the beginning of the year for Modern History I was struggling to get 20/25 for an essay. In my midcourse exam I got 25/25 (only person in the year) and in the last task, an in class assessment of Ho Chi Minh I got 15/15. Not entirely sure what changed, I didn't really do that much practice, I think partly it's this guide, so thanks, and I thought I might just quickly share what my essays included to allow me to access full marks, because on re-reading them, they're really nothing special.

-Start your intro by making a strong general statement, something like, "Ho Chi Minh is one of the most controversial and complex figures of the 20th century." (I know not many people do Ho Chi Minh but it's clearer in my head at the moment than Germany)
-Write your thesis, brief and to the point.
-Then finish on another strong statement which has to be succinct and clear.

The body paragraphs are pretty simple and it really is about following PEEL. Make sure that your first sentence makes an argument related to your thesis, i.e., that Ho Chi Minh had a good impact on his times because...
-Back it up, say why he had a good impact and then basically just reiterate it at the end but link it strongly to your thesis and the question.

As for the advanced essay writing techniques, I've found that I have begun to include these without really thinking about them. The trick I think is not to keep them separate to the rest of the essay in terms of content and scope, but rather just include some reasons as to why historians/people at the time did not agree with your thesis. E.g. "Americans believed Ho Chi Minh was bad because of his use of guerilla tactics and punji sticks." Then say something like, "However, the American use of napalm and Agent Orange means that they're in no position to judge." Conclude by saying that this provides evidence for your thesis.
Obviously that's simplified and far too casual, but it's basically the right idea.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Hi, thanks a lot for the guide. Essay writing is one of my weaknesses and I'll utilize this in the holidays to try make it a strength. Just wondering, would the best way to get essay questions to practice on just be from HSC past papers?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Using past HSC papers is great - if you have already done the content.

If not try taking the dot points of the syllabus and turning them into an 'evaluate' type question - if you are simply practising your essay writing skills in general.

Most schools at this stage have only done WWI which requires the additional skills of integrating sources into the responses.

AtarSchmatar

HSC
Hey there, thanks for the guide. It's really helpful :). Would you happen to have any sample modern essays you wrote that got solid marks (88%+ ) that you would be happy to share?

piercethebones

HSC
How would one go about making an adaptable essay plan? My teacher has asked for 4 essay plans (one for each dot point for the russia national study part) and says they should be adaptable to any question that has something to do with that dot point. That seems impossible to me. Could you give me some tips on how to make an essay plan more adaptable to more questions?

mmmm.

HSC
At the beginning of the year for Modern History I was struggling to get 20/25 for an essay. In my midcourse exam I got 25/25 (only person in the year) and in the last task, an in class assessment of Ho Chi Minh I got 15/15. Not entirely sure what changed, I didn't really do that much practice, I think partly it's this guide, so thanks, and I thought I might just quickly share what my essays included to allow me to access full marks, because on re-reading them, they're really nothing special.

-Start your intro by making a strong general statement, something like, "Ho Chi Minh is one of the most controversial and complex figures of the 20th century." (I know not many people do Ho Chi Minh but it's clearer in my head at the moment than Germany)
-Write your thesis, brief and to the point.
-Then finish on another strong statement which has to be succinct and clear.

The body paragraphs are pretty simple and it really is about following PEEL. Make sure that your first sentence makes an argument related to your thesis, i.e., that Ho Chi Minh had a good impact on his times because...
-Back it up, say why he had a good impact and then basically just reiterate it at the end but link it strongly to your thesis and the question.

As for the advanced essay writing techniques, I've found that I have begun to include these without really thinking about them. The trick I think is not to keep them separate to the rest of the essay in terms of content and scope, but rather just include some reasons as to why historians/people at the time did not agree with your thesis. E.g. "Americans believed Ho Chi Minh was bad because of his use of guerilla tactics and punji sticks." Then say something like, "However, the American use of napalm and Agent Orange means that they're in no position to judge." Conclude by saying that this provides evidence for your thesis.
Obviously that's simplified and far too casual, but it's basically the right idea.
How many body paragraphs should we have for a modern essay, 2 or 3?

fionamabe

HSC
History is my favorite subject since and I always loved to learn about our ancestors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)