Modern History is nearing. (1 Viewer)

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
i wasted at least 5 hours today that could've been dedicated to study.
and at least 20 hours for the past 2 days combined

i'm fucking retarded

JDurrant

HSC
clairem1990 said:
does anyone else have a feeling that the germany question will be on propaganda/terror?
That would be okay, I could use that with a totalitarian argument

BabyK

HSC
Im hoping

WW1: reasons for stalemate / nature of trench warfare / passhendale/ the somme
Germany: at least one option on the collapse of WR hopefully linked to the Great Depression
anything really for Leni Riefenstahl
Europe: dictatorships, The League of Nations collapse blah blah nefing to do wiff d causes of conflict :D

Evelessa

HSC
does everyone do germany?? seems like my topics (Russia and Anglo-Irish Relations) are not popular ones. good ones though.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Mod's tomorrow. I think I'd prefer this after getting raped by the exam today.

justbecause

icanhascheezburger
HSC
According to 2007:

Germany - 65%
Russia/Soviet Union - 19%
USA - 6%
South Africa - 4%
China - 2%
India/Japan/Australia/Indonesia - 4%

Miffstaa

HSC
shit i still have half of cold war to go and most of it is about changing policies and strategies which i hate.
the only one im really comfortable with is Gorbachev because i can stand that guy and his policies so i used to research him just for the sake of it. in russia they usually ask one question from stalin era and one from bolshevik era so i focused on bolshevik thing instead. WW1 im making up on the day...cant be bothered studying 495834950 sheets for a ten mark question.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
this is the first exam Im genuinely sort of anxious about, if only because i love it and want to excell

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Anyone want to do a quiz/test sort of thing?

oth16

HSC
going with the whole quiz/test thing ...
full marks to anyone who can help me with this ..
the whole period of elections during weimar confuse me, as well as bruning, von papen, shleicer etc ... could someone tell me the whole significance & impact of it ?

ty =)

JDurrant

HSC
oth16 said:
going with the whole quiz/test thing ...
full marks to anyone who can help me with this ..
the whole period of elections during weimar confuse me, as well as bruning, von papen, shleicer etc ... could someone tell me the whole significance & impact of it ?

ty =)
Basically that there was no history of democracy, it was instable, and the people ultimately longed for a return to monarch values which they somewhat found in the Nazi party.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well once the Depression set in, you've got more people in the general population voting for the extremist parties, who seemed to offer a better alternative to the SDPs and parties that supported democracy. And you have to remember that von Schleicher was a leading army rep who exerted a great influence over Hindenburg and his decision-making. And remember the flaws of proportional representation.

Heinrich Bruning - after Muller resigned, Bruning was selected to head a new Cabinet (on von Schleicher's advice). Most important things were his deflationary policy and the frequent use of Article 48 to rule by decree now.

However, it seemed as though Bruning had failed to solve these economic problems and their ever-reliance on the SDP for support meant that Schleicher thought it was the end of Bruning's reign.

Then came von Papen, a friend of Hindenburg and his cabinet was filled with conservatives [note the rise of the Nazis as well]. After the snap elections of 1932, Papen was left with a small number of seats and Hitler demanded the chancellor role. You've got more instability so Schleicher was convinced somehow that Papen had to go, and that the Nazis had to be in power as well.

Schleicher is elected, attempting to split the Nazis with a deal with Strasser. Papen felted betrayed by Schleicher's act so he worked with Hitler to finalise a deal, and in the end, it resulted in Schelicher being supplanted by Hitler in January 1933.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Just forms part of the instability and political machinations that led to Hitler's appointment as Chancellor.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Outline the reasons for the stalemate on the Western Front.

JDurrant

HSC
Kujah said:
Outline the reasons for the stalemate on the Western Front.
Faults of Schlieffen Plan (Russian mobilistion, supply lines, etc)
Plan 17
Trenches (weather, battles, etc)
War mentality tactics
Incorrect use of technology that could have potentially broken the stalemate

Describe the changing role of women

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The actual social independence of women and the benefits from the war is debatable, but their contributions were crucial to the war effort. It really depended on the class and social status of women, as there was a difference for working-class women as opposed to middle-class and upper-class women,

- increasing role of women in the workforce and on the fronts eg- ammunitions, transport, nursing (VADs, WAAC), doctors, chefs etc etc
- new sense of freedom and independence
- wages
- (I'm sure there are others :p)

However with the end to the war, there was a gradual climb back to the days before the Great War... more men started to come back to the workforce. But you also got the right to vote for women aged over 30.

Aims and outcomes of the Verdun Offensive?

JDurrant

HSC
21st Feb
Aim: "bleed the French armies white"
-en route to paris
-French like monument kinda thing and would be strongly guarded, thus chance to inflict mass casualties

Results: Almost whole French army served at Verdun
330,00 Germans lost. 350,000 French lost.
Petain called on Haig to bring forward Somme offensive to relieve pressure

Trench Warfare?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)