Modern History Notes (1 Viewer)

umz93

HSC
Can someone who got a b6 in Modern History please post their World War 1 notes so I can see how comprehensive they need to be. Thanks

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
World War 1 notes don't have to be comprehensive. Remember, it's a source based study meaning that all you need is very general knowledge on the war (e.g. conditions, dates of battles etc.) You'll only get hit with questions that ask you to use sources A and B and your own knowledge or now under the new format, the majority of your marks are going to come from analysing the sources themselves.

shimmer205

HSC
Anyone interested in tutoring for Modern History in 2011 can PM me - I have very detailed notes for WW1, Russia and the Soviet Union, Leon Trotsky (personality) and Conflict in Europe. I only provide these notes to my students, however. They took a long while to create, and would save a lot of time if you are interested!

TutoringHSC

HSC
N/A
World War 1 notes don't have to be comprehensive. Remember, it's a source based study meaning that all you need is very general knowledge on the war (e.g. conditions, dates of battles etc.) You'll only get hit with questions that ask you to use sources A and B and your own knowledge or now under the new format, the majority of your marks are going to come from analysing the sources themselves.
This.

Be wary however for your school. Your school may give you some dodgy assessment on WWI that will be unlike what you should expect for the HSC exams themselves.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
This.

Be wary however for your school. Your school may give you some dodgy assessment on WWI that will be unlike what you should expect for the HSC exams themselves.
Indeed! It's vital that people are familiar with the new format of the Modern History Core Section examination! So it would be worth it for students to check out 2010's Modern Exam and familiarise themselves with the format, and types of questions.

umz93

HSC
lol multiple choice is EASY
My modern teacher marked hsc papers in 2010 and said that the markers were steering away from historiography in use your own knowlege + source a/b. Any opinions/comments?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
lol multiple choice is EASY
My modern teacher marked hsc papers in 2010 and said that the markers were steering away from historiography in use your own knowlege + source a/b. Any opinions/comments?
Paraphrasing historiography is the way to go.

umz93

HSC
What if hypothetically we didnt even include one historian quote, do you reckon we would still get the full marks?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Most likely not, it shows a lack of adequate understanding of differing views on issues.

That being said, I have met Modern teachers who have awarded 25/25 for essays with no historiography but those essays were literally epic. Besides, it's not difficult to incorporate historiography into your work.

umz93

HSC
So for the question you would talk about source a, source b, then quote a historian (relating to the topic) and talk about that?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
If the question was refer to Sources A & B plus your own knowledge then you would structure your answer in such a way that your own knowledge would dominate the core of the answer with using the sources as backup to what you're saying.

Make sure you don't throw in historiography for the sake it. Markers sniff that out very easily and you will be penalised for it. Only use it where appropriate such as discussing historical debate around an issue.

umz93

HSC
Thanks slyhunter, do you have any sample responses that could give me a better understanding of this? Also is it a good idea to write up ww1 notes?

S4Saustralia

HSC
What if hypothetically we didnt even include one historian quote, do you reckon we would still get the full marks?
OR, what if we include a historian and get the quote kinda wrong...

or what if I go into the exam and make up the historian and the quote... eg: S4S_Australia suggests that German collapse was the result of diminished morale rather than a lack of resources... Will HSC markers have access to the internet to check my sources? or will they only accept well-known historians?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC

or what if I go into the exam and make up the historian and the quote... eg: S4S_Australia suggests that German collapse was the result of diminished morale rather than a lack of resources... Will HSC markers have access to the internet to check my sources? or will they only accept well-known historians?
If you get a quote kind of wrong then most markers will put it down to exam stress and award you the marks anyway, well in most cases.

I wouldn't recommend you go about making up sources however. Even though the markers won't have the time to check every single answers sources for accuracy, most do teach the syllabus and have an idea of who the historians are and what their perspectives on events are. To be honest it's not that difficult for you to remember them either. Read a book about WWI and you'll naturally pick up the opinions of the author, and by doing so you'll also remember it more easier, then trying to remember word for word excerpted of sources that teachers provide.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Thanks slyhunter, do you have any sample responses that could give me a better understanding of this? Also is it a good idea to write up ww1 notes?
Hmm, I don't have any sample responses atm unless you want mine?

For your WWI notes, they don't have to be comprehensive, rather just an overview would suffice (e.g. conditions of trenches, home front) because it's a source based study.

God that's stupid. If you don't remember the quote word for word, you paraphrase it. It's acceptable now.

umz93

HSC
Could you send me one of your please, I honestly just want to see how it is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)