• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Modern History OR Software? (1 Viewer)

Lady Aisha

HSC
Currently I'm studying both Modern and Ancient History and by the look of things it seems its going to be a bit hard.
I was contemplating dropping Mod Hist for Software and was just wondering what yall thought about it =)
So yeah I need help and some input here...if yall wouldn't mind that is

~ Aisha

taffyroll

HSC
Wahhh I couldn't stand history last year...

Well apparently modern history requires a lot A LOT of writing and stuff so if you find it hard, or don't like it, then I guess you should drop it. But is software hard? Coz you should make sure ur making the right decision b4 you drop it. It's really your decision, but modern history is really hard to me. :)

Good luck!

And also make sure ur subjects work out for the hsc!!

Sew2289

HSC
Keep Modern. I do software and it's probably the worst out of my choices. The Course is based around more or less the ideas of software development, which includes alot of theoretical stuff (such as ehtical issues, rights of the software developer and user e.t.c), as well as doing algorithms, charts and pseudocode (which arent usually done on the computers at all. However, you do do a major project in Year 12, based upon desgining a software program and building it in certain code, but like I said, the course isnt based on learning the specifics of code, but software in general.

And your better off having a good teacher for this subject otherwise you might find it confusing/hard/boiring. Well thats from my experience at least.

Plus, Modern is scaled slightly higher than Software, but that shouldnt influence your decision.

I found Modern Hard at first, but the key is, to practice those essay and know your content well.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Software is a pretty easy course. History is easier - but only if you know what to do with it.

I can't say much for Modern, as I've never done it myself, but I'm assuming the exam is set out similarly to Ancient? In any case - if you think you can do both, go for it. If you want to only do one - well, I guess you have to sort of weigh up between how easy the exams look, how easy the content looks, which you're better at doing i.e. software is all logic and keywords, history is shitloads of memorising and keywords - and yeps. goodluck choosing aye! :D

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Modern history is simple enough, provided that you put in the effort to understand the content. Once you've got a grasp of the topics you're learning, it's fairly simple. It helps to enjoy history aswell.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Speaking from someone who has done both Modern History and Software Design and Development, I think it really depends on you as a student. It's really not right for previous students to say how "easy" a subject was because that was just for them and their situation/skill level/knowledge/class and teacher which all play a part. To others that may not be their strength and so the subject will be much harder.

Just having a look at the other subjects you do, Software if you do it seems like the odd one out. Do you enjoy computers, software design and learning the theory behind it? Just remember that although software does have a major project (internal) and you will get to do some coding there is a fair amount of theory and that is what makes a lot of people lose interest in the subject.

Doing both history subjects I know for people that really had a passion/interest/love history was pretty good for them while others it was challenging/hard. You must have a love for history since you did choose both and yet no computer subjects so I'm just wondering where Software came from?

But really it depends on you the student and that isn't something we can really judge. Best of luck. :)

AZIDA

HSC
I don't know about other people but I dropped SDD this year because I found it to have a pretty crappy syllabus + v hav a bad teacher anyways.
Yes and it also depends on your ability or natural talent as these 2 subjects are in ocmpletely different lines

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Personally, I'd rather History, but then again, I'm hopeless with Computers and stuff, so I wouldn't do Software even if that was the only alternative for Classical Greek or Visual Design (which I did horribly in - back in Year 7/8).

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Personally, I'd say Modern History, because I'm studying it myself lawl.

talven

HSC
As a historian myself (and a new-scheme history teacher this year) I'll have to go with Modern History - but I'm biased!

My advice would be to go with your interests. History can be difficult and quite time consuming, but if you have the patience to committ your time to the science then definetely persue it.

Quite frankly, I hated Software Design and Development. To this day I wish I had picked Modern History when I chose my subjects years ago. I found SDD incredibly difficult, hard to manage and just completely tedious and blatantly boring. Mathematics (and logic) was not one of my strong points either - and you need it to do well, especially in the practical excercise. It didn't help that the teacher I had didn't really comprehend was 'quality teaching' was all about - but that is a different story!

Definitely go with your interests. But consider your options carefully before you make a decision. Why don't you:
1) Speak to your Modern History teacher and ask for some advice on your progress and assistance if needed.
2) Speak to the unit co-ordinator of Software Design and Developent and ask for some advice about your prospects in the course - and maybe ask for a text-book you could browse over before you make an informed decision.

Good luck!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
It doesn't matter if it's easy or hard, but if you put your best effort into that subject and keep trying, you'll be alright. Look at my subjects...but I'm copious enough to keep going.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go modern history.

mzduxx2006

HSC
Lady Aisha said:
Currently I'm studying both Modern and Ancient History and by the look of things it seems its going to be a bit hard.
I was contemplating dropping Mod Hist for Software and was just wondering what yall thought about it =)
So yeah I need help and some input here...if yall wouldn't mind that is

~ Aisha
i loved modern history. its good and scales quite well if u do good in it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
It doesn't matter if it's easy or hard, but if you put your best effort into that subject and keep trying, you'll be alright. Look at my subjects...but I'm copious enough to keep going.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go modern history.
With your subjects, are you planning to eat or sleep this year?

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Software involves more problem solving and logic, where as Modern History is more general knowledge of politics and memorising.

Software only scales if you get I think it was Top 5% [Not sure].

fjnpenguin

HSC
i am currently doing the software design and deleopment course and i am finding it fairly interesting. i never liked history since yr8. i recon it was because of my crappy teacher. lol any guys from James Cook Boys will know wht i am talking about :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)