Modern History Studying Tips (1 Viewer)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
How do you study for MH?

Just what the title says. I mean, I frantically take notes when my teacher talks (he talks a lot) and I make summaries and timelines with all the stuff combined from class, but to what extent should I be going out and getting background research done on my own? How do I know what's going to be relevant when it comes down to it?
My teacher reckons it's almost impossible to cover the entire syllabus in class - we're going to be doing optional morning classes a few times a week - and reading some of the higher-end essays from past papers, I'm starting to believe him.
Advice? Words of comfort?
Cheers!!
Dani

syera

HSC
N/A
Re: How do you study for MH?

My class is a bit like that - taking notes whilst the teacher talks, and also reading sheets etc in class, whilst the teacher makes sideline comments to add...
our teachers expect us to do extra reading as well, and for me that means reading my study guide and all the sheets the teachers give us which we dont read over in class. we didnt finish the syllabus in class either, we had a study day during the holidays, which the teachers used to finish the syllabus - but it was very quick, so i didnt really learn much. After that, i just read over the entire topic myself, and the sheets we received at the study day, and i finished the syllabus... i feel as though i pretty much understand everything and i also made syllabus notes.

thats pretty much how ive been going with modern, i find it most effective when i go through the topic myself to make sure i understand everything... i should also read through all the textbooks i have as well... oh well, i'll do that later :)

-pari-

HSC
N/A

we've just covered WWI as i suspect with most ppl

what was provided in class i think was quite minimal, most of what we did was on our own.

my notes consist of
-own research
-teahcer's talk
- sheets from class
-textbook

:) apart from notes u might wanna practice a few essays etc

HSC

well ill tell you - you need to be genuinly interested in the topics to do well at them

you need to read a lot. participate in conversations during class. make some important points (very simple, so you can memorise them afterwards) about each syllabus point for every topic - that helps you write good essays

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC

My MH teacher was really big on helping students get a kick start on study and made sure that any study we did wouldn't be mindlessly writing notes.

So at the beginning of each topic we were given a mindmap with the major dot points on it. Then it was up to us as we covered each topic to put in the key information from the topic - that worked very well when done right.

Then various timelines, mindmaps, dot points, highlighting etc can all be good when studying.

el gwapo

HSC

i read a lot of wikipedia :D e.g. when studying world war one, i'd just look up one personality e.g. Haig and end up on his achievements (different link), battles he had been invovled in (more different links).. yeah. I guess practice essays from time to time work well, but if you overdo it there is a chance that you will fail to acquire new information, and you would be stuck if a test essay question was one you did not do a practice on

kloudsurfer

HSC

el gwapo said:
i read a lot of wikipedia :D e.g. when studying world war one, i'd just look up one personality e.g. Haig and end up on his achievements (different link), battles he had been invovled in (more different links).. yeah. I guess practice essays from time to time work well, but if you overdo it there is a chance that you will fail to acquire new information, and you would be stuck if a test essay question was one you did not do a practice on
I don't really do any extra study, but thats because our teacher gives us a lot of exra stuff anyway.

For example, we had an assignment where we each had to reasearch a general and a weapon and its impact on WWI, and we had to take notes on all of the generals/weapons from each persons research assignment.

We do little extra things like that, which arent on the syllabus but help us to get a greater understanding of how everything fits together.

We also get lots of sheets that we dont look at in class but we are supposed to read at home.

So I dont really do much of my own research (though occasionally if something is intersting I will), because it is not necessary for me. It really depends on your teacher. If he/she just follows the syllabus without going any deeper, and doesnt give you much supplementary material, than it is worth doing your own research

w00dy.

HSC

Ive basically just combined, the notes, readings and any extra information i find into either mini mind maps, time lines, glossaries, summaries and any other interesting facts or figures i find that relate directly to the syllabus.

i find that after ive done that i feel alot more confident about the topic and the information sticks, and then all i have to do is simply revise over it around exam/assessment times.

el gwapo

HSC

kloudsurfer said:
I don't really do any extra study, but thats because our teacher gives us a lot of exra stuff anyway.

For example, we had an assignment where we each had to reasearch a general and a weapon and its impact on WWI, and we had to take notes on all of the generals/weapons from each persons research assignment.

We do little extra things like that, which arent on the syllabus but help us to get a greater understanding of how everything fits together.

We also get lots of sheets that we dont look at in class but we are supposed to read at home.

So I dont really do much of my own research (though occasionally if something is intersting I will), because it is not necessary for me. It really depends on your teacher. If he/she just follows the syllabus without going any deeper, and doesnt give you much supplementary material, than it is worth doing your own research
Yep so basically extra things really do help, especially in those essay questions. You really need your brain juices to be dripping out info by info, and a lot of dates and names. But you are right knowing how everything fits together is much better than 4 pages of dot points.

Dot points are just step one, you need to re-assess what you've written and place it so that your brain and dissolve it

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC

It all depends on your own style, of course.

Our teacher stuck to the syllabus, but she often went deeper, and gave us tasks to find out odd little things within the syllabus. Myself, I learn best by reading, so I just soak up every resource I can possibly get my hands on, and only write really concise dot points.

Practise essays are fantastic, but I found a really good exercise to do without writing millions of essays, was to write an intro and a conclusion for a question...and then try and do the same thing from a different point of view. It really makes you think differently.

Remember, when you summmarise, try to also rephrase. It's going to mean a lot more to you if you actually understand it and can think about it than verbatim sentences.

daveisb

HSC

Personally, I think you should start by making summarised notes according to the syllabus. Try to do this from as many sources as possible. Text books, notes, past papers, websites, anything that seems relevant and helpful. Make sure you get lots of nice quotes for all sections of your course, except maybe World War I.

After that, you should just read over your notes and try and memorise them. Make sure you know your time periods! Once you've done that for awhile and you feel confident, you should definitely try to do as many practice questions and past papers as you can and get your teacher to mark them for you. This might seem hard at first, but after you tackle a few of essays you'll find that a lot of the questions are quite formulaic and can be answered with pretty much the same information, just with some manipulation. For example, alot of the questions in 20th Century Germany on the Weimar Republic are all quite similar in terms of what information and what time period you need to focus your essay on.

You should also ask your teacher for any topic tests they might have. Try to get into a routine and stick to it as best as you can.

This is pretty much what I did, and it proved to be very successful. But with that said, everyone has their own way of studying, so you'll just have to try some of the stuff that's been suggested and see what works best for you. However, if there is one thing that I would recommend, its to do lots of practice questions! It will be immensely helpful in preparing you for the actual exams.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. Best of luck with all your studies!

kloudsurfer

HSC

Oh right, I make syllabus notes too. Its definetly a good idea.

In year 11 i did them for everything except for modern (because i thought I could wing it lol) and it was my worst subject in the yearlies.

Started making them this year and I went really well in the last assesment which was a source analysis.

So yeah, summaries really do help.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A

Just read books with colourful pictures and videos on your topics. But, Most questions are very predictable, as you will see from the trend from previous years. Tune up your essay writing skills by knowing the structure of your essays and what you're going to say. Hence do some practice essays in conjunction with practicing with the source based questions near to your exams. I really sucked in that section as i never practiced on it (which explained why i only got a mid band 5 bah =[ )

By the way, for your historiography, i just used real Historian names and made up a quote about this and this part of history, when justifying my argument. As long as you know your history and can write, whilst knowing how to structure it, then you shall be fine. I never studied for this subject, except for the upcoming HSC exam, where i just crammed.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Is it worth making notes based on the dot points of the Prelim part of the syllabus? They have don't have as much points as the HSC section :confused:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Kujah said:
Is it worth making notes based on the dot points of the Prelim part of the syllabus? They have don't have as much points as the HSC section :confused:
Don't bother making notes based on dotpoints in history subjects, if you ask me. There's too much material. Just organise your notes thematically under the key features and issues in the syllabus.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A

Kujah said:
No.

yosemite sam

HSC

our teacher gives us basically all the information we need either in notes or handouts or whatever, and tells us what is important and what isnt, what we definitely need to know, and what will be good extra info and its up to us to learn it. i study by making study notes, rereading and then doing it all again and making sure the syllabus is covered, but i find that talking about it in class or when helping other students is really beneficial too.

Jazz1989

HSC
How do you study for modern?

So yeah basically whats you study strategy for modern? Ive tried many different ways and none seem to work... so if you wouldnt mind how about sharing some secrets guys? thanks.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Re: How do you study for modern?

Jazz1989 said:
So yeah basically whats you study strategy for modern? Ive tried many different ways and none seem to work... so if you wouldnt mind how about sharing some secrets guys? thanks.
Mine is using the fucking search function.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)