Modern History Studying Tips (1 Viewer)

L

littlewing69

Re: How do you study for modern?

I made notes on every syllabus point. Fucking ridiculous amounts of notes. I had about 150 typed pages for the HSC exam. The two days before the exam I memorised this, with focus on key concepts and then on quotes/figures/stats to link in. I got 95.

I also began using caffeine to wake up and alcohol to sleep. I wouldn't recommend that though.

bored6

HSC

littlewing69 said:
I made notes on every syllabus point. Fucking ridiculous amounts of notes. I had about 150 typed pages for the HSC exam. The two days before the exam I memorised this, with focus on key concepts and then on quotes/figures/stats to link in. I got 95.

I also began using caffeine to wake up and alcohol to sleep. I wouldn't recommend that though.
Holy fucking shit, your kidding me. 150 pages?

[Ignore this if i'm a gulliable twit]

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A

Just learn a few quotes by historians, look out for historiography surrounding your topics, and write your notes under the syllabus points. Also write practise essays and past papers so you get used to answering modern history questions. History was a bit of a bludge so don't stress too much about it as long as you have your notes prepared. Good Luck :)

srkrox

HSC

i found that the mst useful thing for me was doing mindmaps for various essay qtns...by doing this you're not spending hours writing an entire essay, but ur mind is still thinking of arguements for a whole lotta issues.

closer to the hsc exam i started actually writing out complete essays based on my mindmaps under exam conditions. it reeeally helped :)

good luck :)

L

littlewing69

bored6 said:
Holy fucking shit, your kidding me. 150 pages?

[Ignore this if i'm a gulliable twit]
No lies. I just found I had rad recall abilities for shit I've written up, so that's what I did to study for 'syllabus subjects' like Bio, Mod, etc. Two days before the exam I would begin intensively reading and memorising these notes, focussing on chunks of info useful to a variety of possible essay questions. It was bloody awful, but it worked.

williamc

HSC
Re: How do you study for MH?

Our teacher told us that during the summer holidays we should have done our notes for our national study and personality study (done about 3/4 of each till then). We are now starting our International study, and we should do those notes in these next holidays.

-pari-

HSC
N/A

daym ^ you're almost finished the whole course?

we're doing int'l studies - our last topic - next term, as yet only half way through our national studies

williamc

HSC

-pari- said:
daym ^ you're almost finished the whole course?

we're doing int'l studies - our last topic - next term, as yet only half way through our national studies
Well you are further into the course than we are. We still have to do WW1 and most of the international study.

Stephanie55

HSC

write and re-write essays and then re-write them again

morganforrest

HSC

littlewing69 said:
I made notes on every syllabus point. Fucking ridiculous amounts of notes. I had about 150 typed pages for the HSC exam.
Hahaha i hear you...my notes on Communist Russia are currently at 120 pages....I'm trying to cut the down though. I usually make two sets of notes. One ridiculously detailed bunch with heaps of quotes, dates and other rubbish in there and then another much shorter set with only the really important points. I find that helps with study. And as everyone has said, practice questions are your friend!!!

shayla

HSC

ive been reading the replies cos i do modern aswell, my friends think im fucking nuts but i like modern to much. the study tips that you all have already put up will help me too

thanks

i hate HSC

Been there done that
HSC

notes based on the syllabus points were a winner, but my saving grace was my study guides. I went from scraping through with passes to finishing my HSC exam with 89 total mark , so just under Band 6. I am selling these now if anyone is keen. I did my HSC in 2002 but all the topics look like they're the same. I've listed the content of the books so u can check it against what ur studying.

Excel HSC Modern History $10
Core Study: World War One and its Aftermath 1914-1921
National Studies:
USA 1898-1941
Russia and the Soviet Union 1917-1945
Germany 1918-1945
International Studies in Peace and Conflict:
The Cold War 1945-1991
Arab-Israel Conflict 1948-1996
Conflict in Indochina 1954-1979
Sample HSC Exam

Excel Revise HSC Modern History Core in a Month $5
World War One and its Aftermath 1914-1921

I live in the Hills Area, sunifra@hotmail.com :)

Ademir

HSC

150 typed pages?

Look at each topic. Locate the 5-6 possible types of essays you could get asked for it (this includes the 10 mark essays, up to the 25)

For example, for national studies on the Soviet Union, you can pretty much split it into:

1. Consolidation of Power
2. Changes in society after Oct. revolution
3. Communist theory
4. totalitarian state
5. Stalins/soviet foreign policy

Make essay plans (detailed, with historian quotes, statistics, debates etc) for each area.

Slightly modify some of these essays in alternative formats for differences in question... for example, the totalitarianism points you compile can be applicable to many types of questions, including "nature of soviet society" and so on and so forth.

Much easier to memorise a bunch of essay plans that will with 98% certainty include something very similar to what you've studied, than to memorise more than a hundred pages of what I assume is mostly superfluous information.

I've tried this method before and came off with impressive results.

If however, you have no qualms about doing the 150-page full on way, by all means do it. You'll avoid that small chance you'll get screwed over with something completely unexpected. However, my method *virtually* always works, and as long as you're not a robot and know how to adapt your essay plans to specific questions and not just regurgiate them, you'll be fine.

Ps. If you fail your HSC using my method, I am in no way liable :p

cupxcore

HSC

My modern teacher has a really good teaching style and I learn shitloads. She gives us information that she has written questions on, makes us highlight parts we think are important or key, and then answer the questions. For my prelim exam, i just got out the question sheets and tried to answer them off the top of my head,w ithout looking at the info, until I was positive I knew all the god damn answers.

Also, practice writing essays really quick :D

mark678

HSC
Studying for Modern History??

:bomb: How are you ment to study for Modern History and get a Band 6 or high Band 5.

I'm around the 80% level and want to improve but find it hard to remember dates and stuff.

Anyone got good study tips??:confused:

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Re: Studying for Modern History??

just revise on a regular basis.
make visual representations.
in PE, we make acronyms about dirty stuff, the funnier they are you easier you can relate and therefore remember.

princesscal

Banned
HSC
Re: Studying for Modern History??

Yeah same aaron.

I made this one for the order of things in the respiratory system, for pharynx, larynx, trachea and bronchia.

Penises
Look
Terrific
Bald

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)