Modern or Legal? (1 Viewer)

angelano33

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing both Modern and Legal and have total of 12 units.

I'm thinking about dropping either one of them but not sure which one I should drop.

Here is the situation in my school,

for Legal, i'm ranked top (96 for yr 11 yearlies), however, the teacher isn't really good and the tests have been pretty easy and predictable, so i don't know where i am compare to the whole state; and the class is pretty bad (most people get in the 60s in those easy exams)

for modern, we have two really good classes, the average is about 80 and the teacher is very good. However, I rank middle in the modern, getting marks around 80 - 90. The exams werent easy and sometimes were quite hard.

so which one should i drop? does scaling make any difference?

Thanks a lot!

xx

Candidate

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about dropping either one of them but not sure which one I should drop.

for Legal, i'm ranked top (96 for yr 11 yearlies), however, the teacher isn't really good and the tests have been pretty easy and predictable, so i don't know where i am compare to the whole state; and the class is pretty bad (most people get in the 60s in those easy exams)

for modern, we have two really good classes, the average is about 80 and the teacher is very good. However, I rank middle in the modern, getting marks around 80 - 90. The exams werent easy and sometimes were quite hard.

Thanks a lot!

xx
Unless you are starting to struggle with the work load, don't drop either. Your marks are great.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Stick with it for another term and see where you are at. Then drop the subject you are doing worse in. You're on 12 units though, so it shouldn't be too bad :p

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot!

xx
See how you go in your first assessment and make a more informed decision then I guess...that or drop the one you like the least.

angelano33

HSC
Thanks everyone for the reply, i think i'm gonna keep them till the end of the term and see how i go, but just wondering is there any scaling difference between the two?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for the reply, i think i'm gonna keep them till the end of the term and see how i go, but just wondering is there any scaling difference between the two?
Modern scales better than Legal, but don't just pick Modern for that reason. You're better off doing the subject that you like rather than doing the one that scales well.

gilza95

HSC
I found legal boring as in year 11, however I would keep it in year 12 as the topics are much more interesting than year 11
I felt that in year 12 legal was easier to approach and study for as it is predictable, seeing as in the exam you definitely know that the multiple choice is on core topic 1 and 2, there is one essay on topic 1, short answers on topic 2 and an essay each on topic 3 and 4

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
as everyone else said go with the one you enjoy more, at least that way there will be some motivation to get good marks and thats enough to ignore the fact that it's bad scaling for one whilst the other is better

Fawun

Queen
HSC
modern is the best sub hands down

legal is fucking shit and makes me want to sit in a corner and cry every time I see "LEGAL" on my time table.

gleeek

HSC
See how you go in your first assessment and make a more informed decision then I guess...that or drop the one you like the least.

This. Study for them (relatively if not) equally, then base your decision according to your first assessment marks. However, in my opinion, modern is more rewarding, yet legal is easier marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)