Module 3 questions (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
It isnt really a half-bond but the negativity of that electron is shared over the whole molecule.
not getting this...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
ozone has a resonating coordinate bond meaning that that third pair is effectively shared by all 3 O atoms so both diagrams are correct...
Well thats what I was trying to get across dam lack of explaining skill.

Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
im telling you people if you do write ozone has two 1 1/2 bonds because of phenomena of resonance, you'll get fucked to the maximum. i found that out... :(

edit: stop complicating and learning the actual right way... just learn the hsc way. dammit. :p
Well lets just hope they dont ask for a lewis dot diagram of benzene or ozone.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
ozone has a resonating coordinate bond meaning that that third pair is effectively shared by all 3 O atoms so both diagrams are correct...
ok....i'll think i'll stick with double covalent plus coordinate, this is getting complicated
don't people just hate the way that you learn stuff in the HSC and when you reach uni, they tell you everything is WRONG, arghh!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Wohzazz
not getting this...
Instead of an electron pair orbiting one atom, it effectively orbits the whole molecule. Bah abdooooooooooooo (however many o's it is beat me to it)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Well lets just hope they dont ask for a lewis dot diagram of benzene or ozone.
its the hsc man... i don't think i can make it any clearer... they won't ask anything thats beyond the most basic chemical idea that is so stupid that a 4 year old can learn.

edit: for ozone they'll just ask you to draw the one i drawed with free hand and then ask you to identify the coordinant covalent bond with a arrow. :)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
not getting this...
1st, you dont have to know this and defintely dont have to explain this.

2nd, think of the 2 diagrams of OZone abdooo or Xayma posted earlier , the 1 with a pair of reflections, now consider that both cases are corect at the same time... so that....*searches for prper words* the 3rd pair basically is shared bteen all 3 oxygen atoms. this is known as resonance

3rd, in HSC just draw ozone as you normally would ignoring the resonance

edit: ffs... i really should stop typing that much words.. way too slow :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
its the hsc man... i don't think i can make it any clearer... they won't ask anything thats beyond the most basic chemical idea that is so stupid that a 4 year old can learn.
I know that and hence I wont give them more, but if he asks Im not going to be held responsible for it.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC

I know that and hence I wont give them more, but if he asks Im not going to be held responsible for it.
a 4 year old with a good memory :D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
You sound like the type of people who will get 100 for Chemistry.....

Like half the questions asked aren't even in the syllabus and it's like your doing it out of interest! :p

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i reckon the ppl who get 100 in chem is those who memorised every HSC textbook and modelled answers/sumamries :D

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Instead of an electron pair orbiting one atom, it effectively orbits the whole molecule. Bah abdooooooooooooo (however many o's it is beat me to it)
its five o's i think... for effect... sounds cool when you say it with an exclamation... or three.... hahahaha :p

Originally posted by
Constip8edSkunk

a 4 year old with a good memory
don't underestimate 4 years olds...

Originally posted by
Ragerunner

Like half the questions asked aren't even in the syllabus and it's like your doing it out of interest! :p
no one can get 100... haven't you learnt that its all about the syllabus... outside = failure :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Well why else would we be answering them at 11:30pm during the school Holidays.

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner

you are referring to Xayma right?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
no one can get 100... haven't you learnt that its all about the syllabus... outside = failure :p
Your also forgetting the fact that we havent been asked to write an essay on the contribution of the discovery of the delocalised electron in ozone has had to society.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ahahaha... what ozone? there is something about the effect of ozone in the syllabus i think. its like it poisons people and something about CFCs killing them and giving us cancers due to something like UV. :p

edit: although i have no idea how delocalised electrons has done anything at all except from being delocalised... maybe they come out and attack humans thats why ozone is a poison to the body. :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
ahahaha... what ozone? there is something about the effect of ozone in the syllabus i think. its like it poisons people and something about CFCs killing them and giving us cancers due to something like UV. :p
Well it doesnt really poison us, just oxidises everything in your body. CFC's destroy them and the ozone hole just gives me an excuse to stay in doors. Interesting side note: Oxygen taken at 3ATM can be poisionous, and pure oxygen can kill new born babies.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Well it doesnt really poison us, just oxidises everything in your body. CFC's destroy them and the ozone hole just gives me an excuse to stay in doors. Interesting side note: Oxygen taken at 3ATM can be poisionous, and pure oxygen can kill new born babies.
what are you... hsc chem freak? i for one believe ozone is poisonous for the hsc... because if you say its a strong oxidant... they might hammer you for being too smart. ;)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
So answering "Ionic compounds are between metals and ________" with this "non-metals or metalloids, depending on the electronegativity of the metal will determine whether the metal and metalloid will join ionically, or whether it will bond metallicaly through a substitution alloy." is bad and I should just stop at non-metals?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
what are you... hsc chem freak? i for one believe ozone is poisonous for the hsc... because if you say its a strong oxidant... they might hammer you for being too smart. ;)
lol actually i think one of the papers i did, sbhs trial/topic test or some practice trials from other schools (cant remember) awarded full marks for saying its a strong oxidant...damaging bodies etc etc, and -1 for just saying its poisonous/toxic haha

So answering "Ionic compounds are between metals and ________" with this "non-metals or metalloids, depending on the electronegativity of the metal will determine whether the metal and metalloid will join ionically, or whether it will bond metallicaly through a substitution alloy." is bad and I should just stop at non-metals?
sif.... you forgot to add physical properties...

0 marks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)