Module A (1 Viewer)

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
Just curious on how people approached the question with the quote as their starting point??

I just said this quote reflects .... and continued with my generic essay as the question was very generic for those who do BNW/BR lool

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think I went something along the lines of:

As implied by the extract, the texts "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" and "Hamlet" deal prominantly with the idea of...

annacogs

HSC
i didn't use the quote as a "starting point" as it said, i used the concept and ioncorporated that quote in later. maybe i shouldve done it differently but too late now. did the poetry/prose fiction one and forgot to name the poems when i quoted them. hoorah.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I started with the quote and was able to use my generic essay with a few bits and pieces added in. I have to say, BNW/BR was my favourite essay =)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I didnt use the quote in my introduction, because in my half yearlys when we were given a quote and I wrote it as the opening sentance, the marker said it was bad essay technique.

I did mention it the whole way through though

HSC
Yeah I mentioned it in the intro (bad move but couldn't be assed crossing it out) and then vaguely in the first paragraph, and forgot about it after that.

I did refer to transformative power of nature the whole way through though.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
that question is shxt! in the wild question I think is badly worded~~~

Fortunately it is only a style question, so i didnt screw it that bad~~~except I hav couldnt rely entirely on my super essay like i did in the other two sections~~~

Yamiyo

HSC
I just picked bits and pieces out of the quote, e.g. "comfort" "God" "freedom" "goodness" and wrote what was essentially a preprepared essay under those headings.
Looking at the other questions for module A, even for in the wild, they seem a bit more specific than BNW/BR...

Jaspal

HSC
I did Hamlet and RAGAD, and i mostly talked about Fate and Destiny, Identity, Death which i linked to fate as well. Also language =]

D

DaBogansmasher

God you people are idiots, the lack of intelligence is simply stunning- that's right, I am stunned.

If any of you knew anything about English, how different it would be- the In the Wild question was not poorly worded, it was a very interesting question. It invited a non-explicit discussion of context, which one can only presume you idiots were not able to see; and obviously the lower candidates would have missed addressing the 'comparative study' aspect, perhaps one of the most axiomatic parts of the course. A Style question? What does that even mean you challenged child...

The quote, was an essential part to the essay, and I believe from Webster's dictionary- the general definition of 'starting point' refers to something that comes at the beginning, but then again, what would a genius like me know? The quote (for the prose fiction and poetry, that I do): "Poppy you have saved me, you have recovered the Earth for me", invited a discussion of the power of nature. It is the same for the other options, that were obviously given a question that stemmed logically from what was said in the small block of writing- hence, it leads to the idea of nature being 'lost', but subsequently being 'recovered'- resulting in '[saving]' of the recipient or society. However, the contextual influence will determine what the definition of the '[saving]' is.

The quote must be defined in any response at the beginning- so that the examiner, can realise that you are not a moron who has rushed into the exam with no ability to think, only to memorize. "A comparative study" is rudimentary to each option in this module- a comparative study answers the 'how' question, and is ideally 'the ways in which' etc. By employing a comparative study (for those with limited intelligence= comparing the two texts, relating to context)- allows us to easily compare the differences.

To use a situation that is easily comprehendable by even the likes of you lot- We can use the comparison of an orange and an apple, side by side. By placing the two side by side, the 'juxtaposition' effect applies {this applies to ALL the questions}, and we are able to compare the similarities- Rounded, structural formation, presence of a 'skin'; as well as comparing the differences- The colour, the texture of the skin etc. In effect, a comparative study is the mechanism by which we are able to be launched into the 'consideration' of the power of nature, and our relationship with it.

Specifically with this- the wild (Prose fiction and poetry), the question invited discussion of how the comparative study {explained easily and clearly above} would invite a consideration (discussion for the purposes of your essay), of the restorative power of nature. Now, relating your discussion to context, and the understanding of the main differences between the texts, one will understand that the two concepts of 'restorative value' will change between texts and contexts= the purpose of the module. Yet, as I am a superior and more sophisticated student than you all, with more flair and insight than one can imagine- the best way to approach the question (this applies to all texts), done through a dealing of the leading quote, is to agree, as well as vary the degree to which that claim holds credibility. I.e.- for Wordsworth, it is entirely true that the rejuvination of the relationship with nature does in fact 'save' [humanity], and restores our existence to combat sociological failures- with a subsequent and necessary return to the social centre, alongside Milton to which he situates himself (latinate diction, blank verse, sonority and grandeur in language)- the return to society connotes 'restoration' of the authentic self- which is inherently part of the self, which conveys the idea that nature can contribute to culture ('save' it), and to quote my superior essay: "Before a return to the social world, with a deeper understanding, of what it means to be human".

Yes, it is true that in fact the comparative study does invite a consideration of the restorative power of nature, and this 'is' evident in Malouf, yet, the word selection: "consideration" invites a discussion of this concept, and allows leniency for the response (because in fact Malouf's concept of restoration from nature differs due to context). Reflecting the promulgation of ecological sensibility by the green movement- it is clear that Malouf's text values the power of nature for a specfic value to humanity, yet the context changes this value, and the way it is received. Through the leading quote, we need to examine how the context has changed the definition of "the recovery of nature", as well as how the definition of the way that it has "saved us" has also changed. Responding to an oppressive imperial culture of US, and the need to detach from the corruption of the Australian social centre, Malouf predicates authenticity not as 'restoration', but as a rupture of an imperial triumphant culture, and thus idolizes the value of a detachment from the cultural centre. The consideration of 'restorative power' has in fact been transmogrified towards 'transformative power' [towards the authentic self]. As a result, Malouf situates his text in the time of cultural authority and autocracy as emobodied by the Roman Empire. Instead of blindingly agreeing with the concepts and ideas presented in the small excerpt, instead, smart people such as myself seek to look for insight into the concept of 'comparative study' between texts affecting the concept and representation of 'The Wild'. Hence, as a result, the concept is subsumed to a more comprehensive project- transformation, with little restoration, for the most pertinent message to the context of his time is the need for detachment from the cultural centre, which subsequently does not suggest 'restoration'.

These arguments, for all essays, must follow by logical entailment from the leading quote. In effect, here, the quote has had its key words re-defined relating to context, and to iterate what I have already said, this is a more sophisticated way to approach it. Looking at the differences in the meaning of '[saving' and the differences in the ways the recovery of the earth is represented.

This is why... I am better than you, and why I will receive a 20 on that paper.

Yours sincerely,

Genius.

idkidkidkidkidk

HSC
Our teacher always said to never use a given quote in an opening paragraph... she told us that the answer would look somewhat standard (due to taking the point about starting with the quote literally, apparently we are meant to base our intro around the quote and incorporate it into latter paragraphs), and also said that it was bad technique idk though lol.... anyways I basically rambled on about how hamlet and ros and guil differed in context, the societal viewpoints, existentialist viewpoints, language, and the heirachy of people in society and their degree of power.... then I rambed about how fate and destiny played a larger role in determining the 'everymens' future and used the quote in that part lol...

Last edited:

rani.g.

HSC
Moving on....

I used the quote (BNW/BR) in my intro and tired to make reference to it in all my arguments, but I felt that it weakened my thesis and that the links I made weren't too convincing... I focused on it's suggestion of human longing for nature, and then proceeded to explore various aspects of nature's absence as a reason for such longing....hmmm..

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
annacogs said:
i didn't use the quote as a "starting point" as it said, i used the concept and ioncorporated that quote in later. maybe i shouldve done it differently but too late now. did the poetry/prose fiction one and forgot to name the poems when i quoted them. hoorah.
hey i think i did it like you
didnt actually start with quote but incorporated idea and quoted it bout 4 times throughout in different ways.

also did malouf n wordsworth

so glad never have to think bout imaginary life ever again!!!

m000

HSC
N/A
Did we seriously have to talk about the quote in detail???
I just used it to start my essay by discussing the theme death and what it says about the power of individual in each context...
Am I completely wrong???

HSC
Yamiyo said:
I just picked bits and pieces out of the quote
same :) i cut the quote to suit my purpose (oh ellipsis, my faithful friend, what wont you do?) and used it as a part of my intro, and just fit that and control etc etc into my essay. hammy and ros and guil were probs my fave module...

Jaspal said:
I did Hamlet and RAGAD, and i mostly talked about Fate and Destiny, Identity, Death which i linked to fate as well. Also language =]
same. yay.

samwell

HSC
This thread is so off topic. It has become a forum for insults lol. Anyways module A was gud as the quote certainly integrated with my hypothesis. I didnt put the quote in my intro cause it would have led to an insufficient hypothesis.

mathslover

HSC
same here.
i used a one-line quote from the extract in my essay, and it wasnt at the beginning of my essay cz it wouldnt have fit.

benotdavid

HSC
DaBogansmasher said:
God you people are idiots, the lack of intelligence is simply stunning- that's right, I am stunned.

If any of you knew anything about English, how different it would be- the In the Wild question was not poorly worded, it was a very interesting question. It invited a non-explicit discussion of context, which one can only presume you idiots were not able to see; and obviously the lower candidates would have missed addressing the 'comparative study' aspect, perhaps one of the most axiomatic parts of the course. A Style question? What does that even mean you challenged child...

The quote, was an essential part to the essay, and I believe from Webster's dictionary- the general definition of 'starting point' refers to something that comes at the beginning, but then again, what would a genius like me know? The quote (for the prose fiction and poetry, that I do): "Poppy you have saved me, you have recovered the Earth for me", invited a discussion of the power of nature. It is the same for the other options, that were obviously given a question that stemmed logically from what was said in the small block of writing- hence, it leads to the idea of nature being 'lost', but subsequently being 'recovered'- resulting in '[saving]' of the recipient or society. However, the contextual influence will determine what the definition of the '[saving]' is.

The quote must be defined in any response at the beginning- so that the examiner, can realise that you are not a moron who has rushed into the exam with no ability to think, only to memorize. "A comparative study" is rudimentary to each option in this module- a comparative study answers the 'how' question, and is ideally 'the ways in which' etc. By employing a comparative study (for those with limited intelligence= comparing the two texts, relating to context)- allows us to easily compare the differences.

To use a situation that is easily comprehendable by even the likes of you lot- We can use the comparison of an orange and an apple, side by side. By placing the two side by side, the 'juxtaposition' effect applies {this applies to ALL the questions}, and we are able to compare the similarities- Rounded, structural formation, presence of a 'skin'; as well as comparing the differences- The colour, the texture of the skin etc. In effect, a comparative study is the mechanism by which we are able to be launched into the 'consideration' of the power of nature, and our relationship with it.

Specifically with this- the wild (Prose fiction and poetry), the question invited discussion of how the comparative study {explained easily and clearly above} would invite a consideration (discussion for the purposes of your essay), of the restorative power of nature. Now, relating your discussion to context, and the understanding of the main differences between the texts, one will understand that the two concepts of 'restorative value' will change between texts and contexts= the purpose of the module. Yet, as I am a superior and more sophisticated student than you all, with more flair and insight than one can imagine- the best way to approach the question (this applies to all texts), done through a dealing of the leading quote, is to agree, as well as vary the degree to which that claim holds credibility. I.e.- for Wordsworth, it is entirely true that the rejuvination of the relationship with nature does in fact 'save' [humanity], and restores our existence to combat sociological failures- with a subsequent and necessary return to the social centre, alongside Milton to which he situates himself (latinate diction, blank verse, sonority and grandeur in language)- the return to society connotes 'restoration' of the authentic self- which is inherently part of the self, which conveys the idea that nature can contribute to culture ('save' it), and to quote my superior essay: "Before a return to the social world, with a deeper understanding, of what it means to be human".

Yes, it is true that in fact the comparative study does invite a consideration of the restorative power of nature, and this 'is' evident in Malouf, yet, the word selection: "consideration" invites a discussion of this concept, and allows leniency for the response (because in fact Malouf's concept of restoration from nature differs due to context). Reflecting the promulgation of ecological sensibility by the green movement- it is clear that Malouf's text values the power of nature for a specfic value to humanity, yet the context changes this value, and the way it is received. Through the leading quote, we need to examine how the context has changed the definition of "the recovery of nature", as well as how the definition of the way that it has "saved us" has also changed. Responding to an oppressive imperial culture of US, and the need to detach from the corruption of the Australian social centre, Malouf predicates authenticity not as 'restoration', but as a rupture of an imperial triumphant culture, and thus idolizes the value of a detachment from the cultural centre. The consideration of 'restorative power' has in fact been transmogrified towards 'transformative power' [towards the authentic self]. As a result, Malouf situates his text in the time of cultural authority and autocracy as emobodied by the Roman Empire. Instead of blindingly agreeing with the concepts and ideas presented in the small excerpt, instead, smart people such as myself seek to look for insight into the concept of 'comparative study' between texts affecting the concept and representation of 'The Wild'. Hence, as a result, the concept is subsumed to a more comprehensive project- transformation, with little restoration, for the most pertinent message to the context of his time is the need for detachment from the cultural centre, which subsequently does not suggest 'restoration'.

These arguments, for all essays, must follow by logical entailment from the leading quote. In effect, here, the quote has had its key words re-defined relating to context, and to iterate what I have already said, this is a more sophisticated way to approach it. Looking at the differences in the meaning of '[saving' and the differences in the ways the recovery of the earth is represented.

This is why... I am better than you, and why I will receive a 20 on that paper.

Yours sincerely,

Genius.

You are an asswipe, i didn't even bother reading that, all i read was the last 3 lines. Hope you get a band 2. :wave:

mathslover

HSC
benotdavid said:
You are an asswipe, i didn't even bother reading that, all i read was the last 3 lines. Hope you get a band 2. :wave:
wow, all the posts are gone... :S
hope that dick got banned

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)