Module B - Critical Study of Texts (1 Viewer)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
u won't get owned, not much anyway. u had to have other readings in it anyway... that's the point of the topic! u'll do better than those who only put their own perspective, and no other readings!

olay

HSC
hmm.... :) thanks for the dose of optimism. hopefully adv eng won't count for me :) [i think they can take any two units of English...].

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
sub said:
yeah i used "back in time" and i sorta blurred in the end reconciliation image towards the end as another extract - but then again i did post colonial and feminist reading...what did u end up doing?
i mostly concentrated on the values held by the sprits in the middle room in Dwellingplace and i talk about how people from a foriegn country wouldnt understand Guy Fawkes Night and how Fish was symbolic of those people.

sub

(o_°) crap...i din talk about fish so much...am i screwed...cos the WHOLE fukn book is abt fish.

lucyinthehole

Angel45 said:
Module B seemed to be completely different from the way we had looked at King Lear in class. In class we were looking at the way different critical theories interpreted the play and how different productions that supported those theories had staged it. Either way, in our study of the play we had never really considered OUR interpretation or how context came into the other critical theories. I just freaked out and wrote on what I'd studied. Barely responding to the question. Like, I did "family drama" as well as "aristotelian" and I was thinking what, for family drama am I meant to make up some bs story on how I have sisters who I am in rivalry with because the youngest one is favoured or something like that?!? I just couldn't work out how to answer it. Also, my response turned in to more of a diary entry than a well-structured essay!!

However, on the news the other night re. Paper I they were saying how they look at the students' responses and how the majority have interepreted it and go from there on how to mark 'em. Cause they can't fail everyone!! So perhaps they will realise it was a bit bizarre, maybe even some misunderstanding of the syllabus on our teacher's part, and mark accordingly. Fingers crossed anyway!
i completely agree about the discrepancy between what we studied and what they asked. i hope you're right about the marking :S

Fungrys

*lookin for wgong maccas*
HSC
Well.. I'll post what I wrote again, but in this topic :D

I just wrote out my readings and interpretations, but added in "as the ideas of this poem are of merit to my Christian background" or somethin like that...

?

Becc

i just said that as people from a post-modern society that we are able to use other interpretations of the play to shape our own understanding. Talked about Brook, Tate, Tina Packer's interpretations and called my quotes "extracts".

answered the question, just how i wanted to. :rolleyes:

mgmgmg87

I talked about the context of studying it for the H.S.C. and how my context would be different than someone reading it for pleasure! I hated this question especially as it so did not suit Gwen Harwood.!!!!Agggghh!!!!

chicaraca

Australierin
HSC
N/A
arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh i spoke to my english teacher after the exam to ask about the "refer to TWO extracts" part (I did Wuthering Heights). She said you could basically pick any two "extracts" ie quotes/scenes/etc. One guy I know did Catherine/Heathcliff compared with Cathy/Hareton. During the 5mins reading time I was panicking as I had no idea how to approach it and I left it to the end, I ran out of time and I only wrote 5 pages!!

Oh well, I'll never have to think about Wuthering Heights again! YAY!

Jessisbored

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
That was the stupidest question possible. How has your own context shaped your interpretation? What a stupid question. Everyone should get top marks because they're asking for your interpretation, which is influcnced by your context. Well, they can't mark your interpretaion wrong because it's a personal thing, not Brook's or anybody elses, and they can't fault your context because each person has different beliefs.

Besides I hated the question. Stupid question.
I agree totally, our question was simply stupid....wtf, out of the whole reason for studying gwen harwood our perceptions are changed? uhh no, how about asking us how we gained deeper insights into her life or challenged our thinking. stupid. I hope eveyone found it stupid (or most) so they realise they will have to scale us significantly

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
To the people doing speeches: We all have to do a non-fictive text, and a lot of the time thats split up into parts, although it may not be for module B. I myself had to do The Justice Game for mod C which consisted of 7-8 trials, each of which is 20+ pages. We had to know these inside out as they could specify any of them.

kthxbye

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
To the people doing speeches: We all have to do a non-fictive text, and a lot of the time thats split up into parts, although it may not be for module B. I myself had to do The Justice Game for mod C which consisted of 7-8 trials, each of which is 20+ pages. We had to know these inside out as they could specify any of them.

kthxbye
so? they could specify a speech too! we had to know it inside out...even how every speech was recieved differently...

kthxdoublebye

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
so? they could specify a speech too! we had to know it inside out...even how every speech was recieved differently...

kthxdoublebye
I'm just saying that we have it equally bad.

sigh

HSC
we weren't trying to prove that we had it WORSE... someone said we had an unfair advantage over everyone else cause we did speeches not King lear or anything else like that... I don't believe anyone had an unfair advantage when it came to knowing their texts or answering the questions, and i don't like being told that I had one. Whatever mark people, they deserved it for one reason or another... even if that reason is that they didnt understand the question or that they were having a bad day.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
OK fair enough, I was saying that everyone was on equal footing.:)

matty_boi17

HSC
N/A
Mmm, I don't think anyone had an "advantage" over anyone. I think the texts are difficult in their own right. We did Wild Swans.... *shudders* Eight hundred pages of hypocritical "Chairman Mao is a man, he sucks because of what he did, but I'm just going to ram the notion of feminism down the reader's throats and present women as the superior sex, even though when Mao thought men was superior it is was *wrrrrrrong*"

BAH!

I want to write an abusive letter to Jung Chang... but think she's been through enough.

alika

After all that i am so gad they didnt prescribe a text.
If they went please use this Gwen Harwood poem it would have all been over
but beacuse they didnt..... IT WAS GREAT!!

Funsize86

Module B was sooo stupid, i only ended up doing one speech really well and 1 paragraph of the next... stupid 40min. Some people from my school wrote two booklets for every module and they sure as hell aint got no big writing! I say FREAKS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)