Module B - King Lear (1 Viewer)

G

gaoOO

Far out, i'm so unimpressed with the question on human relationships. It works so well for familial type readings, but not so well for my intepretation centred around nihilism and man's place in the universe. It didn't even say agree/disagree or challenge, where you could have argued that yes human relationships are an important aspect, but what make's the play universal is the contemplation of the human condition and humanity's place in the universe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerruy

HSC
Re: King Lear Module B

it was bloody easy!!! but i ran out of time and only got 5 1/2 pages down

G

gaoOO

Jerruy said:
yeah, well what was your reading? I think how well King Lear goes for people will really depend on how you interpreted the play.

The specification on human relationships... a lot of people like me structured a thesis around Lear's exploration that 'unaccommodated man is no more than a poor, bare forked animal as thou art.' Where did that lead us? Nowhere.

i ended up saying things like human relationships with the world, society and ourselves...

champo14

HSC

Jerruy said:
Disagree. It was extremly specific and since the syllabus is based around creating your OWN interpretaton I found it extremly bias towards those who created a family perspective/wierd because it didn't ask for any personal though of the matter, except "how this is important"

Sure, it was easy to answer the question in a superficial way but to answer the question in depth and get full marks will be extrmemely hard.

I had so much stuff ready to write on interpretations and my own personal reading that I just had to jettison because it wasn't relevant at all.

G

gaoOO

champo14 said:
Disagree. It was extremly specific and since the syllabus is based around creating your OWN interpretaton I found it extremly bias towards those who created a family perspective/wierd because it didn't ask for any personal though of the matter, except "how this is important"
exactly, why couldn't they have given us an option on how important the relationships were? To me, king lear is more than just the relationship between the family members, it's about man's existence in the universe and the vulnerability of the human condition. I thought the question was unfair and extremely biased towards a particular interpretation- familial.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC

gaoOO said:
Far out, i'm so unimpressed with the question on human relationships. It works so well for familial type readings, but not so well for my intepretation centred around nihilism and man's place in the universe. It didn't even say agree/disagree or challenge, where you could have argued that yes human relationships are an important aspect, but what make's the play universal is the contemplation of the human condition and humanity's place in the universe.
Well I'm pretty impressed with the question because as you've mentioned in other threads, this wasn't one of those mere "regurgitate your generic essay" type questions especially when you compare it to Mod C Truth.

I'm glad that the question said "at least one" because there was no way I could have written a whole essay on one relationship.

This module will be my only ticket to a decent Band 5 so I'm crossing my fingers.

Anyway, from reading your other posts, you seem quite capable at English anyway so I'm sure your interpretation of the question and your essay would've been fine. :)

G

gaoOO

~shinigami~ said:
Well I'm pretty impressed with the question because as you've mentioned in other threads, this wasn't one of those mere "regurgitate your generic essay" type questions especially when you compare it to Mod C Truth.
if my reading was based on family relationships, i think it would easily have been a 'regurgitate your essay' question. :mad1:

i was prepared to argue that "King Lear is less about the relationships and conflicts between individual persons than the exploration of human nature and man's place in the universe," but the question didn't even leave it open to other opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC

I agree with gaoOO; the question was far too specific, and I had to essentially think of new quotes and a thesis from the ground up. Shows you've got to be pretty much omniscient with Lear.

HSC

I loved this question.
I focused on the relationship between Lear and the Fool.

I also liked it because I have a feeling it will screw lots of people over. :D

G

gaoOO

Yeah, coz it only left room for one interpretation... Seriously, i am so annoyed at the question, because we couldn't even challenge BOS's opinion that human relationships are the most essential part of the play, unless they count human relationships as man with the world.

Anyway, in response to Shinigami, who said that it meant people couldn't regurgitate, i think it meant that people who did certain interpretations couldn't regurgitate: note the following from another thread.

mallie89 said:
It was so easy! All 3 questions fitted my prepared responses so well that it wasn't hard to adapt them

BNW/BR - I agree with Sharlee - there are waaaay too many similarities.. but I spoke about their use of technology and the portrayal of the worlds, so I hope that was okay.. I got 9 pages out of it

King Lear - suited my prepared paragraph on King Lear so perfectly (I looked at family conflict as a theme) so I did Lear and his relationship with his daughters and it was great for the intensity and importance.. i got 8 pages for that

and Frontline - could it have been more broad?! I think you could have prepared anything to do with truth and you would have been fine. 9 pages for this one too

BUT YAY ITS OVER (plus it was SO SO much EASIER than journeys)

YIPEEEEEEE

borkoborko

HSC

In response to your reply.. I'm sorry but suck it up! It is about a close analysis of text, so all the central themes in the play are important and yes it is how you interpret it, but readings are not a close analysis of it, they are other peoples analysis of it and you just using that to create your own interpretation.

We got told over and over again by our school that you should complelty forget about readings, and focus on the actual play itself!

By looking at a close analysis of text, and Lear which you should have specifically, and throughout a whole year of work, you would have seen that this play is based alot around intense human relationships, they are the basis for all your other nihlism etc jargon blah blah.
I thought the question was fine. I am sure you will all do fine!

what-for?

HSC

crap. reading what you guys wrote, my essay seems completely off topic.
i wrote about intense relationship between father/daughter using act 1 sc 1 and the relationship between man and himself (is that even possible??) analysing the storm scene.

i managed to include 2 interpretations+theme and language.

man i screwed it.

Originality

HSC

i think i did ok...
talked around the family aspect but other than that i've just forgotten my response o_O
But it was specific and i was lucky to b prepared with some form of relationships question. Probably the most challenging in the modules.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: King Lear Module B - Bias towards the familial reading

gaoOO said:
Finally someone who thought it wasn't easy. I am with you here.

bec007

HSC

gaoOO- when you say ''It didn't even say agree/disagree''

Didn't it say ''explore the representation of at least....EVALUATING its significance in the play as a whole'' so therefore you can say the importance is high etc BUT what also helps captivate audiences is the contemplation of human condition etc?

Teddy Lee

HSC

borkoborko said:
In response to your reply.. I'm sorry but suck it up! It is about a close analysis of text, so all the central themes in the play are important and yes it is how you interpret it, but readings are not a close analysis of it, they are other peoples analysis of it and you just using that to create your own interpretation.

We got told over and over again by our school that you should complelty forget about readings, and focus on the actual play itself!

By looking at a close analysis of text, and Lear which you should have specifically, and throughout a whole year of work, you would have seen that this play is based alot around intense human relationships, they are the basis for all your other nihlism etc jargon blah blah.
I thought the question was fine. I am sure you will all do fine!
Finally someone talking sense. Seriously, whoever thinks it was too centred on familial relationships, get over it. The module is about a critical study of text and human relationships are an important component in the play itself.

Our teacher spent all year telling us how king lear was going to be the hardest module, how they could pick on any little character, theme or scene (our trial was based on the opening of the play). Readings supplement the play itself and your interpretation should come from the play and you could have fit your nihilistic reading in fine. The question was far better than the generic ones for the other modules.

enzyme

HSC

I'm in agreement with bec007. At my school we do Citizen Kane, rather than King Lear, but we had the same question on 'intense human relationships'. But most of the themes we dealt with in questions were related to power or the American Dream, relationships wasn't really a big one.
Anyway... the point of the module is to have your own personal reading of the text. We were told at school that it's okay to disagree with the question, even if it doesn't say "agree or disagree". In this module especially, you're free to disagree and say that you think the text is about something else. Because the question asked you to analyse at least one relationship, you still have to do that, but I'm pretty sure (and hoping I'm right, because this is how I approached it) you can state that you don't think it's that significant, because your interpretation is that ANOTHER major theme is what captivates audiences and creates enduring power.
The fact that it said 'evaluate' leaves the question open to your own interpretation and judgement.

-pari-

HSC
N/A

hate to seem like a bitch, but seriously, you can't do anything about it, and there is absolutely no point complaining and worrying.

it you were thrown by the question [YES i was thrown a bit but i adapted] then you clearly had made preconcieved ideas of what the question would be like. that's only normal, but remember that it IS a critical, it's not beyond the board to ask for something like that. and yes i think it did favour familial interpretations, but i do jacobean/feminist and i found plentyx2 to talk about.

deal.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A

I was lucky in that I had focused on the dysfunctional family, but to be honest this is my weakest module and the modules aren't my strong point anyway so I'm not sure how well I've done in the end.

Hopefully the stuff I wrote about was alright. I'm hoping for 13 in each module because I've seriously been terrible at them all year (highest was a 15).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)