Module B - King Lear (1 Viewer)

enzyme

HSC
Re: King Lear Module B

Fish Sauce said:
(highest was a 15)
Hahaha. When I read that, I was thinking Paper 1, and remembered each section is out of 15. So I thought you were like "Oh my highest out of 15 was only 15"...hahaha. Oops.
I think I did okay in Paper 2. It was the comprehension on Friday that worries me. It'll be very interesting to see how we all go!

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A

enzyme said:
Hahaha. When I read that, I was thinking Paper 1, and remembered each section is out of 15. So I thought you were like "Oh my highest out of 15 was only 15"...hahaha. Oops.
I think I did okay in Paper 2. It was the comprehension on Friday that worries me. It'll be very interesting to see how we all go!
Haha I wish!

English is probably my weakest subject, I'm not terrible but it's definitely not one of my better ones.

tehsky

so lyk yeh.
HSC

i talked bout lear n cordelias relationship
since cordelia being the "joy" of the family is the backbone to the order that ensues in the kingdom; if the relationship is removed then chaos presumes
then i analysed how this relationship is evident in act 1 scnce 1 and act 5 scene 3; showing that in the end due to cordelias death, the kingdom may be fortefied to madness
butttttt i also talked bout lears incestual relationship he had with cordeila, and inorder for the reform of order in the soceity, lear adopted a daughter - in a personal response which then feeds once again on his incestual relationship and anaylsed that it wud only take afffect in a modernistic context as lear would fail to see that he needs a female to be his eyes in a way

ish this right? :D
i was shit confident after soo please sai yes =p

HSC

i focused on the relationship between lear and his daughters

i think those of us in catholic schools were a bit lucky in that the CSSA trial paper also took on a family perspective

i found that time management was an issue (it usually is for me and english), and because i did king lear last, i didnlt have time to complete it :mad1:

oh well, at least english is done

mR.aCAdEMiK

Mo-del Student
HSC

lolz me being lazy bugger im, left study till night before & focused on chrisitan redemptionist reading(which i did for trials). then the question asked for a specific "human relationship"...

damn didn't expect the question to be so specific. managed to make up some bullshit about the daughters' relationship with King Lear but not counting on high marks for this module lolz.

Last edited:
G

gaoOO

Teddy Lee said:
Finally someone talking sense. Seriously, whoever thinks it was too centred on familial relationships, get over it. The module is about a critical study of text and human relationships are an important component in the play itself.
well you probably think that human relationships are the central component, but i disagree. I did not pick one reading and regurtitate that reading, but i formed my own opinion through a study of the text and i did not see relationships as the central focus.

what annoys me is that some people could just regurgitate while others had to really try to manipulate, making the question easy for some but hard for others. King Lear took me so long to manipulate around while other people who had familial readings said 'oh wow it was so easy i just regurgitated'

mallie89

Almost free!
HSC

I know I got lucky on this.. as someone (I think it was you gaoOO?) already showed my little bit on this module.. I was honestly freaking out last night thinking "What if I've gone too narrow? What if my paragraphs on power and family don't get me through this?"

I'll admit I was stupid, not to prepare anything on character or plot.. and i know I got lucky (You have no idea just how amazed I was to see the bit on family in there).. but I could also see how damn narrow the question was. If I hadn't prepared that, i would have been absolutely screwed.. I didn't even initially think the main part of the play was family, imo its the power conflict.. I honestly can't believe they chose that with little opportunity to argue against

I would like to note I didn't regurgitate completely.. I had to really work to manipulate my power paragraph to suit the Lear/daughters relationships.. but I'll admit I had it easier. I think it was a completely stupid question choice and a stupid module.. there's just too much they can ask about. And they seemed to leave little wiggle room for anyone who interpreted the play differently

spangacrab

HSC

Yeah bitches, How good was that Question, Paper 2 rocked!!!

mzduxx2006

HSC

chocolate_lover said:
I loved this question.
I focused on the relationship between Lear and the Fool.

I also liked it because I have a feeling it will screw lots of people over. :D
well i found this question very difficult. so i am extremly glad that i left it last.

i wrote 2 whole booklets...some of it decent stuff....some of it complete bullshit

um i interpreted the question to be the relationship of family which worked well with a psychological domestic reading so i focused primarily on lear and his relationship with his daughters. Elizabethan reading i "tried" to focus on lears relationship with nature and the consequences of disturbing natural order. with a nihilistic reading i focused on the characterisation of cordelia and the fool. this was most certainly my downfall in the whole english exam. i hope it does not screw me over :(

Jemily

HSC
I did Lear and the fool, which I dunno if it'll go well but ITS OVER! WOOOO!
Lear is my weakest part but I thought it was good having a really specific sort of question, kept me on track and minimalised my waffling, so in that respect I went better than usual, but I found it hard to get a real scene analysis in there and many quotes.

mzduxx2006

HSC
Re: King Lear Module B - Bias towards the familial reading

Shrikar said:
Finally someone who thought it wasn't easy. I am with you here.
i thought it was HORRIBLE.

im in the process of burning my king lear book now....right as i type :D

um i wrote 15 pages for it and my writing was pretty neat untill like the last 5 pages BAHAHA. suked in to the examiner reading the fuker.....

i hate king lear! with a passion

mzduxx2006

HSC

Shrikar said:
Finally someone who thought it wasn't easy. I am with you here.
hmm i wrote 15 pages....my writing was pretty neat but towards the end it got slpppy.

I FUKIN HATE LEAR....i hope they take it off the syllabus so others do not need to go through the anguish that candidates like me went through :(

im burning the play right at this moment whilst i type!!

king lear is gay!

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC

i did what someone else did, just wrote about lear and cordelia and the first scene, act 3 sc4 - how his madness links to cordy and how this is central to him transcendence as the play is all about his suffering and redemption, act 4 when cordy comes back - the beauty and nature of the language and how it conveys happiness, potential hope, but jacobean audience would know better ie - its a tragedy, act 4 when the pathos scene is there and they're on about birds in cages, act 5 and how lear has come so far and changed so much and its all due to cordy. with links to materialism and love and sense of self, all linked to miller and brook's productions as well as a quote from AC Bradley.
sucked that i ddn't get to use my highly original buddhist interpretation but meh, what can you do

lotrhpfan

lurker
HSC

damn it. i had this really good thesis of choices and consequences which i only loosely was able to adapt to the question. i thought it was hard. i hardly wrote anything. something like 4-5 pages T_T

nick1689

HSC
I only talked the characters relationship with the gods pretty much,,, and a bit about king lear and how his relationships with the other characters were severed as he veered in insanity. My personal response was about the tension between 'old' thinking (traditional beliefs) and 'new' thinking (renaissance humanism).

So am i screwed? Or didnt the 'human' relationship have to be directly between human and human? Please make it be the latter...

~kiki

HSC
Agreed. The Lear question really screwed me over, but then again, I never really expected to succeed in english. A band 4 will do me- as long as I do well in my other subjects. I've never been a fan of the way they teach english and I'm perfectly capable of communicating fluently and deriving meaning from texts, in fact, I practically spend half my day contemplating various issues. Just not the issues they want me to contemplate.... and the manner in which they want me to approach them. Anyway, its all over now and I've chucked away all my english crap already. It feels great =D

tehsky

so lyk yeh.
HSC

mzduxx2006 said:
i wrote 2 whole booklets...some of it decent stuff....some of it complete bullshit
dead set? :eek:
thats like..gun!
and like 20 pages for one essay yo.

i wrote 19 for everything total

spangacrab

HSC

OH YEAH! That question rocked! It was like, here you go, say anything you want about King Lear.
I only expect a band 4 but even still, I could of done a lot worse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)