Money to students due to $2.3Bil donated to Uni's during stimulus package. (1 Viewer)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
So ive been hearing about the $2000 dollars given to students that will be recieving a independence allowance ( additional $4000 to those who have had to move out of home to attend uni), as of 1st Jan, 2010.

Can someone please explain more to me on this, ie. If one had been working this year to earn the $19500 to be considered a independent and considering that this is a 18 month program (So allowance will commence on June 1st, 2010) does this individual recieve the stimulus?

Cheers

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
If one had been working this year to earn the $19500 to be considered a independent and considering that this is a 18 month program
i'm not sure about the extra money they are giving- but you do realise that they are removing the working category for gaining independence (ie. the 18,000 in 18 months will be GONE!). Well it will be gone by jan 1 2010, so if you are not on youth allowance yet, and you want to be based on the work-earn criteria then you will need to apply before jan 1 2010.

i'm assuming then that when (if) you qualify you will be eligible for the extra money.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Money to students due to $2.3Bil donated to Uni's during stimulus package.

this title makes no sense

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
i'm not sure about the extra money they are giving- but you do realise that they are removing the working category for gaining independence (ie. the 18,000 in 18 months will be GONE!). Well it will be gone by jan 1 2010, so if you are not on youth allowance yet, and you want to be based on the work-earn criteria then you will need to apply before jan 1 2010.

i'm assuming then that when (if) you qualify you will be eligible for the extra money.
dude, its actually $19503 now for one, also if you earn the $19503 this year, you can still get it for next year ( June 1st 2010)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
To the current date, i have already earnt $24000 this year ( from Jan 1st 2009), so yes i def qualify, do you think i should lodge an application form now or what until the year is out?

izzy88

HSC
To the current date, i have already earnt $24000 this year ( from Jan 1st 2009), so yes i def qualify, do you think i should lodge an application form now or what until the year is out?
well is there any particular reason you don't want to lodge the application now? if you've earnt the money then i would say go for it. But i guess if there is a reason you don't want to qualify yet then wait, but i would lodge the application before the beginning of next year.

edit:
also if you earn the $19503 this year, you can still get it for next year ( June 1st 2010)
but i would think you would have to put in your application before jan 1 2010. Also as soon as you put the application in, and if you are successful, you automatically start getting youth allowance. Whilst you have to earn 19503 in max 18 months, i'm fairly sure if you've earnt that amount of money in less than that time, you can still apply and succeed. (well i don't see why you would have to wait 18 months to apply even though you, for example, may have earnt the money in 12 months.

Last edited:

Miner

HSC
Centrelink will turn you down because as a 2008 school leaver you wouldn't be eligible for YA under that provision until May 2010 as you have to have been out of school for 18 months to be eligible. They don't approve applications that are over 13 weeks from being eligibile.

If the Federal Budget gets approved without amendment to the new YA provisions then you'll join the 30,000+ other 2008 school leavers who deferred uni studies this year that are getting screwed over by the changes to eligibility. The ONLY way you'll be able to get Independent status via workforce participation is by working 18 months for at least 30 hours each week. How much money you earn doing so has become irrelevant.

dude, its actually $19503 now for one, also if you earn the $19503 this year, you can still get it for next year ( June 1st 2010)
No you can't. Has your head been in the sand or something. Labor have made it clear that the 2008 school leavers will NOT be eligible under the old rules.

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
lol how the fuck do you like your Labor government now?

izzy88

HSC
Centrelink will turn you down because as a 2008 school leaver you wouldn't be eligible for YA under that provision until May 2010 as you have to have been out of school for 18 months to be eligible. They don't approve applications that are over 13 weeks from being eligibile.

If the Federal Budget gets approved without amendment to the new YA provisions then you'll join the 30,000+ other 2008 school leavers who deferred uni studies this year that are getting screwed over by the changes to eligibility. The ONLY way you'll be able to get Independent status via workforce participation is by working 18 months for at least 30 hours each week. How much money you earn doing so has become irrelevant.
oh i forgot that requirement (having to have left school for 18 months (probably cause it doesn't apply for me.

Although i would have thought you must be working close to 30 hours a week to have earnt 24000 in 6 months. maybe you will get in that way. but yeah you won't be able to apply till 18 months after you've left school- and they will have introduced the new requirements by then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)