Mooting? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
nah 'twill be interesting, especially if u are in junior comp
i will but try :)

its bad for me, a 2nd year albeit transferee, to have to moot kids that are younger than me... especially if they're girls (in which case i'll lose ;)).

i wanna moot some hardcore masters who've done Contracts I, II and Advanced Contracts :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
its bad for me, a 2nd year albeit transferee, to have to moot kids that are younger than me... especially if they're girls (in which case i'll lose ;)).
There's something almost aphrodisiacal about bantering with girl judges too :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
There's something almost aphrodisiacal about bantering with girl judges too :)
Is it because you know that all they have to do is bang their hammer to get you to shut up? Hey, the it works for me. :eek:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i remember the hammerage we got at the hands of michael hung

"WHATS REASONABLE FORESEEABILITY NEWBIE? WELL WHAT IS IT!?! SIT DOWN"

stamos

sellout
HSC
Asquithian said:
I'd be a little wary of mooting Moonlight in Contracts...:uhhuh:
nah man, i'm pretty sure frigid is in my contracts class and apparently he reads his textbook

intense

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
stamos said:
nah man, i'm pretty sure frigid is in my contracts class and apparently he reads his textbook
i'm a bludger and i dun attend my lectures... law class i sleep... especially in crim...

contracts i have participate :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
i heard frigid that you constantly praise sandra egger's choice of perfume....... :p

yeah i was exaggerating about michael hung
and yeah he is the tall chinese dude

X

xeuyrawp

This is probably one of two reasons turning me away from MQ Law- we have shit mooting comps.

stamos

sellout
HSC
boy george washington says:
but if the other side doesnt bring up that issue at all, do we still address it?
PRNet Militia: Not ALL Hate-filled Commando's of Doom! says:
i'm curious about that too
we should get their submission earlier or something
it doesnt make sense this way

anyone know how this works?

(we're respondents)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
This is probably one of two reasons turning me away from MQ Law- we have shit mooting comps.
Why do you think it's shit?

For the record, Macquarie University Law Society has attracted a high court judge to judge our final for the last 2 years. Also, we were ranked the highest NSW team at Jessup (the premier mooting competition in Australia). Plus MQ law school gives credit (1/3 of a full semester load) and funds more external mooting comps than any other uni I know.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
Why do you think it's shit?

For the record, Macquarie University Law Society has attracted a high court judge to judge our final for the last 2 years. Also, we were ranked the highest NSW team at Jessup (the premier mooting competition in Australia). Plus MQ law school gives credit (1/3 of a full semester load) and funds more external mooting comps than any other uni I know.
The people in the comps that I watched really seemed to be not be on-top of their material, and seemed to be doing from a purely social point of view.

I've been told this, too, by a number of friends, and it seems the people who do it at Macquarie are attracted by the wrong reasons. Maybe it was just the comps that I and my friends watched / participated it? It was just my impression, and I probably put it far too harshly.

michaeln36

HSC
I want to do law next year, but unfortunately never got involved in debating etc. in high school.
For mooting, is there like a beginners one u can do, where i dont get pwned by all the hardcore debaters?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes there is a Beginner's competition at UNSW, for first years.

But take note: mooting is unlike debating. If debaters get up there and start acting like it is a debate, they will get shut down quite quickly.

It is more a formal conversation than a speech.

huangker

Crammer
HSC
michaeln36 said:
I want to do law next year, but unfortunately never got involved in debating etc. in high school.
For mooting, is there like a beginners one u can do, where i dont get pwned by all the hardcore debaters?
Well debating can be so wishy washy. Mooting is much more technical. You dont need to have done debating. I didnt have any debating experience but had a great run this is year. I cant wait to do external mooting.

derek.wong

HSC
N/A
Previous experience of debating and mooting seems to be a very common concern. Having been involved in debating in both High School and university, I can firmly say that it is of very little advantage.

This is for three reasons. First, mooting is unlike debating. The style required and the depth of research / knowledge is different. This is not to say that debating requires no knowledge, indeed it is far from that. The critical difference is that mooting requires specific knowledge on a very narrow area, meaning that you are expected to present a smooth but readily understandable submission on a complex area of law.

Secondly, the style of speaking required is different. Indeed, I found that my debating experience was of significant detriment - one is often tempted to use rhetoric and other verbal techniques - generally not accepted in mooting.

Lastly, everyone is new to mooting in the beginners competition. Therefore, no-one has a fundamental advantage over anyone else. It is true that debaters may be more confident in standing up and delivering submissions, but it does not mean that they will win.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
The D-Dawg speaks!

I think what Derek is trying to get across is that court etiquette and the need to prepare technically precise speeches means that using debating techniques will get you shut down real fast.

Mooting is pretty fun, though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)