Morality (2 Viewers)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Let's discuss morality.

What do you think is the purpose of morality?

HSC
Uni Grad
Just listen to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City radio station VCPR imo.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Pretty sure this is in the wrong forum.

Stringer Bell

HSC
N/A
Morality is any system of interlocking values, practices, institutions, and psychological mechanisms that work together to suppress or regulate selfishness and make social life possible.

Morality, a free floating rationale, has been uncovered by evolution (not only genetic, but cultural evolution).

lolokay

HSC
Let's discuss morality.

What do you think is the purpose of morality?
what is its purpose? I dunno, ask a sociologist or evolutionary biologist or sumfin

what should its purpose be? I would say a system of general rules aimed at maximising [good feelings/happiness - bad feelings/unhappiness] etc. etc.
So a good goal would therefore be to design a system of morals/ethics that achieves this, and a way to implement this into the larger population.

CecilyMare

HSC
Morality. I believe it stems from the pleasure principles. Others say we are born with it.

I believe that because a child learns that physical abuse is wrong when a parent hits them. It physically hurts. And that leads to the universal moral/law that murder is wrong, and all the other morals we establish either by ourselves or m/paternally imposed.

Purpose of morality. To utopianise our world as much as possible, duh?

HSC
Some morals are intrinsically built within us, others are a result of our environment.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Definition is hard enough, but the true question is, well ,what's the point? Personally I believe it's something like this:

The world runs on a pursuit of power. The pursuit of power is the only way to true happiness and pleasure.

Simply put, I agree with the saying by Socrates (correct me if I'm wrong about whether it was him or another person) That morality is a weapon for the weak to subdue the strong. But I personally believe this is a good thing. Morality is the antithesis of power.

If the strong get too powerful, the weak would not pursue power as it is a hopeless cause, and the strong will not pursue power becuase they have enough of it. Yet without the pursuit of power, there would be no pleasure, no purpose for humanity.

Yet if the world has morality, there would always be a power struggle between the strong and weak, and therefore there will always be a purpose for humanity.

Sadiah

HSC
Definition is hard enough, but the true question is, well ,what's the point? Personally I believe it's something like this:

The world runs on a pursuit of power. The pursuit of power is the only way to true happiness and pleasure.

Simply put, I agree with the saying by Socrates (correct me if I'm wrong about whether it was him or another person) That morality is a weapon for the weak to subdue the strong. But I personally believe this is a good thing. Morality is the antithesis of power.

If the strong get too powerful, the weak would not pursue power as it is a hopeless cause, and the strong will not pursue power becuase they have enough of it. Yet without the pursuit of power, there would be no pleasure, no purpose for humanity.

Yet if the world has morality, there would always be a power struggle between the strong and weak, and therefore there will always be a purpose for humanity.
I agree with this.

lolokay

HSC
Simply put, I agree with the saying by Socrates (correct me if I'm wrong about whether it was him or another person) That morality is a weapon for the weak to subdue the strong.
sounds like Nietzsche maybe?

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A

please, your not good at articulating yourself..stick regurgitating passages from the bible.

white noise nonsense

Stringer Bell

HSC
N/A

Such a feeble grasp of morality is really quite astounding. Morality, which we could posit as a complex word for 'team work', is an evolved trait of our species for one reason; it is useful for survival. Communities with some moral imperative will, on average, perform better than communities who have no such imperative. Game theory corroborates this. The fact that morality exists has nothing to do with power ambitions of people today, and everything to do with rudimentary evolution.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Such a feeble grasp of morality is really quite astounding. Morality, which we could posit as a complex word for 'team work', is an evolved trait of our species for one reason; it is useful for survival. Communities with some moral imperative will, on average, perform better than communities who have no such imperative. Game theory corroborates this. The fact that morality exists has nothing to do with power ambitions of people today, and everything to do with rudimentary evolution.
But why do they perform better? That's the question.

Stringer Bell

HSC
N/A
Because team work is optimized, defection minimized, allows reciprocal bonding, and hence security, collaboration, ETC ETC ETC. Sir, ignorance is no crime, however, please do not challenge the word of your intellectual masters if you have no such knowledge on the matters of anything other than commandments of your bronze age cult.

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
LOL, you assert 'that's the question', as if it's some puzzle, no, fuckwit, we know why.

A species that thought it was okay to murder their children (and other peoples) wouldn't last lost, would it?
Think about these things in terms 'increased probability' or 'decreased probability' to pass on genes.
Again, this boils down to you having no grasp of the theory of evolution? Why? because you're an inculcated cult member, thats why.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
LOL, you assert 'that's the question', as if it's some puzzle, no, fuckwit, we know why.

A species that thought it was okay to murder their children (and other peoples) wouldn't last lost, would it?
Think about these things in terms 'increased probability' or 'decreased probability' to pass on genes.
Again, this boils down to you having no grasp of the theory of evolution? Why? because you're an inculcated cult member, thats why.
Errrrrr............. what cult am I a part of?

Also, animals with little morality have as yet still survived. It is possible to rule without morality, e.g. totalitarian rule with an iron fist. Morality is subjective, changing from society to society in it's subtleties, so I believe it goes far beyond the mere constraints and limitations of evolutionary biology.

And jeez, I just showed what I thought was the purpose of morality above. I support morality, so don't accuse me of being some immoral lunatic of pure evil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)