More arts units in single degree than combined? (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
I was told that in doing a combined degree the amount of units for arts would be less than the single BA.

Thoughts on this?

This is making me wanna just do arts then do something later in postgrad. Of course it makes the effort for the ATAR a little pointless...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In a combined degree you'd do arts and something else. So you do less arts units, but more units overall.

Politic

HSC
N/A
In a combined degree you'd do arts and something else. So you do less arts units, but more units overall.
Also, for those of you why have an idea (ie. please don't make your response too subjective)

Do employers care whether you do say combined Arts/Law as opposed to undergrad Arts and grad Law?

Would it be such a bad option to do undergrad Arts and then grad law? A plus imo would be more arts units...

izzy88

HSC
Employers don't care whether you did combined LLB or grad law.

A plus for combined is that it saves you a year (especially if you want to do honours in arts). Negatives, you do loose 8 subjects...but saying that, if you know what you want to major in in arts its not that much of a loss. Its only 8 subjects all up over the course of the three years (which isn't heaps in the scale of things).

I guess a negative for grad LLB is that if you get into combined, its a hecs place, whereas for grad law there are also fee-places - so there may be less of a chance of getting a hecs funded spot if you did grad. (I don't think there are limits on how many fee vs hecs spots grad law degrees should have. It's up to the individual uni.

I think if you got into combined law straight out it would be difficult to say no to it, especially if you were set on doing law.

Saying that, I know combined LLB at usyd can be flexible - a friend of mine was officially enrolled in Combined LLB/Arts but couldn't do the undergrad law subjects (because her arts degree was on another campus), and they just let her defer all her law subjects and she ended up doing first year law with the grads. Not sure how common this is (wouldn't think its that common), but it shows its possible - if you have a good reason.

Politic

HSC
N/A
Employers don't care whether you did combined LLB or grad law.

A plus for combined is that it saves you a year (especially if you want to do honours in arts). Negatives, you do loose 8 subjects...but saying that, if you know what you want to major in in arts its not that much of a loss. Its only 8 subjects all up over the course of the three years (which isn't heaps in the scale of things).
8 subjects as in 24 units? Is that 8 subjects enough for say a minor?

izzy88

HSC
8 subjects as in 24 units? Is that 8 subjects enough for say a minor?
sorry it depends on the university. USYD does not have a minor ie. it is not recognised in any way. Only a major is recognised. At usyd, each subject is worth 6 credit points, so every semester you do 24 credit points.

How many subjects you need to get a major may differ between departments I think. However, to my knowledge you generally need to do 6 senior (second or third year) subjects in an arts area (ie. 6 ANHS subjects for a major in Ancient History). If you want to do honours in a particular area you need to do more than that (generally 8 senior subjects in that area). However I think the requirements for a major may be different in languages - and certainly different at another university. I would recommend looking at individual websites of departments at uni's you are interested in to understand the requirements.

If you do a straight BA you can do two majors. If you do a combined BA/Law or any combined BA degree, you only get one major.

eg. my degree in second and third year I did all up 6 law subjects, 6 ancient history subjects, 1 classics subject and 3 history subjects.

merninaB

HSC
There are really a lot of units or subject in single degree that it was just the same concept to be combined.

Politic

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know whether Macquarie recognises minors? Also I'm thinking of doing 2 majors and 2 minors, which is 72 cps or 24 subjects. I think MAQ has 68 cps as its requirement... but if I wanted to do 4 cps extra when can I expect to complete my degree (this is talking about Macquarie's single Arts degree).

izzy88

HSC
Does anyone know whether Macquarie recognises minors? Also I'm thinking of doing 2 majors and 2 minors, which is 72 cps or 24 subjects. I think MAQ has 68 cps as its requirement... but if I wanted to do 4 cps extra when can I expect to complete my degree (this is talking about Macquarie's single Arts degree).
Sorry I'm not sure whether MQ recognises minors however...

Is there a real need to have a 'minor' in something? eg. if you do enough French subjects so that you can speak french at an intermediate level, surely that is the important thing, rather than the need to say I have a minor in French? I just don't know whether employers really look at it in that much detail to make it utterly important that you get a minor in something (especially since some universities don't even recognise a 'minor' eg. usyd).

I think 4 cps is just one subject right? so you could overload a semester or complete one in summer/winter school in order to finish on time. However, I'm not sure if uni's let you complete more subjects than necessary to complete the degree. Look at the maximum unit requirements in the faculty handbook.

Politic

HSC
N/A
Sorry I'm not sure whether MQ recognises minors however...

Is there a real need to have a 'minor' in something? eg. if you do enough French subjects so that you can speak french at an intermediate level, surely that is the important thing, rather than the need to say I have a minor in French? I just don't know whether employers really look at it in that much detail to make it utterly important that you get a minor in something (especially since some universities don't even recognise a 'minor' eg. usyd).

I think 4 cps is just one subject right? so you could overload a semester or complete one in summer/winter school in order to finish on time. However, I'm not sure if uni's let you complete more subjects than necessary to complete the degree. Look at the maximum unit requirements in the faculty handbook.
I've mostly seen that its 3ps per unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)