More Graphing Help Needed! (1 Viewer)

blackops23

HSC
Hi, I have about 6 or so question needed help with, so please bear with me...

Ok:

Q1: y=e^x - e^(-x)
(i) determine whether it's odd or even
IT'S ODD
(ii) determine it's gradient, find turning points.
How do I do this?
(iii) then sketch the graph

I sketched the graph, but the only way I did it was by drawing y=e^x and y=e^(-x), and subtracting the y coordinates from each other using my fingers --> is there a more efficient way to sketch it??
--------------------------------------------------------------

Q2: y=1/(e^x + e^(-x))
(i) function is EVEN
(ii) Derivative is (e^(-x) - e^x)/[(e^x + e^-x)^2] --- got this from yahoo answers, still don't know how to derive it...
MAXIMA AT (0,0.5)

(iii) sketch the graph
Ok I managed to sketch it, here's what i did:
1. draw e^x and e^-x
2. add y-values together manually to get e^x + e^-x
3. then draw the reciprocal graph.
Is there an easier method that considerably cuts down steps 1 and 2??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q3: y=(e^x - e^-x)/(e^x + e^-x)
(i) ODD FUNCTION
(ii) As x--> infinity, y--> 1, As x --> negative infinity, y--> -1, therefore asymptotes at y=1, y=-1
(iii) Once again from google, derivative was found, there are no turning points,. but at the x-intercept (0,0), gradient is = 1, HOW DO I DERIVE THE DERIVATIVE?
(iv) Sketch the graph
asymptotes, gradient = 1 at (0,0) function is odd, made it pretty easy to sketch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the harder ones... :(

Q4: (x^2)(y^2)=x^2 + y^2 --> Apparently it's a traffic officer at point duty... wtf

Q5: y^2 = x^4 - x^6 --- don't really know how to sketch y=x^4 - x^6, could use help with that.

I kinda missed out on implicit differentiation in class, so some help would be good. All I know is derive y as normal and multiply it with y'....

Thanks guys

HSC
N/A
Q1 (ii) determine it's gradient, find turning points.
How do I do this?

y=e^x - e^(-x)

you do four unit maths and you cannot differentiate this?? :|

dy/dx = e^(x) +e^(-x) =0 for turning points

ie e^(x) + 1/ ( e^(x) ) =0 ( multiply throguh by e^(x) )

[e^(x) ]^2 +1 =0

etc

blackops23

HSC
yeah, i don't know = (

but how is d(e^x)/dy = e^x
and how is d(e^-x)/dy = -e^(-x) how does the derivation process come about?

deterministic

HSC
Have you dealt with differentiating exponentials in 3u yet???

d(e^x)/dx=e^x by definition.... if you dont know use your standard integral going right to left, which is differentiation.

Last edited:

deterministic

HSC
Now for the harder ones... :(

Q4: (x^2)(y^2)=x^2 + y^2 --> Apparently it's a traffic officer at point duty... wtf

Q5: y^2 = x^4 - x^6 --- don't really know how to sketch y=x^4 - x^6, could use help with that.

I kinda missed out on implicit differentiation in class, so some help would be good. All I know is derive y as normal and multiply it with y'....

Thanks guys
Implicit differentiation is really based on the chain rule learnt in 2 unit. consider y^2

d(y^2)/dx = d(y^2)/dy * dy/dx (Chain rule)
dy^2/dy= 2y so hence d(y^2)/dx=2y(dy/dx)

similarly for other functions of y.

Q4: rearrange so that:

(x^2)(y^2)-y^2=x^2
y^2(x^2-1)=x^2
y^2=x^2/(x^2-1)

sketch y=x^2/(x^2-1) first and then use the tips i told you in the other thread to get y^2

Q5:
y=x^4-x^6=(x^4)(1-x^2)=(x^4)(x-1)(x+1)
now you have all the zeros so it is just sketching a polynomial.

blackops23

HSC
Implicit differentiation is really based on the chain rule learnt in 2 unit. consider y^2

d(y^2)/dx = d(y^2)/dy * dy/dx (Chain rule)
dy^2/dy= 2y so hence d(y^2)/dx=2y(dy/dx)

similarly for other functions of y.

Q4: rearrange so that:

(x^2)(y^2)-y^2=x^2
y^2(x^2-1)=x^2
y^2=x^2/(x^2-1)

sketch y=x^2/(x^2-1) first and then use the tips i told you in the other thread to get y^2

Q5:
y=x^4-x^6=(x^4)(1-x^2)=(x^4)(x-1)(x+1)
now you have all the zeros so it is just sketching a polynomial.
Awesome.

About q1 and q2, is that the most quickest way to sketch the graphs?

deterministic

HSC
q1:
- obviously it passes through origin (odd function)
- after differentiating it turns out it has no turning points. so just notice as x-> inf, the e^-x becomes insignificant, so that the curve in the first quadrant should look like e^x. reflect that about origin (odd function)

q2:
- no vertical asymptotes
- as x-> inf, y->0 ; x-> -inf, y-> 0
-even function
- maximum at (0, 0.5), that really should given you an idea on what the graph looks like

blackops23

HSC
q1:
-as x-> inf, the e^-x becomes insignificant, so that the curve in the first quadrant should look like e^x.
Thanks deterministic, that tip really helped out, got q4 just a curve approaching y=1 and x=1, reflected in both x and y-axis, and q5 was a bowtie,

Here's another one that drove me bonkers, basically there were three parts
(1). Sketch y=2x/(x^2+1) --> odd function turning points (1,1) (-1,-1), curve approaches y=0 as x-> +inf and x-> -inf.

(2). Sketch the cubic function of (1), y= 8x^3/(x^2+1)^3 --> same as (1) almost same as one, horizontal inflexion point at (0,0) etc.

3. Sketch y=x^4/[(x^2+1)^4] without any further calculation, and with reference to part (1) and part (2)

Any help on this would be extremely appreciated

deterministic

HSC
(1) - denominator is always positive (square + positive no.) so no vertical asymptotes
- odd function
- y=0 -> x=0 => intercept (0,0)
- as x-> infinity, y-> 0, same for x-> -inf (horizontal asymptote of y=0)
- you can find turning points if you want, it helps when observing shape of graph.
Thus it should look like a very squashed s shape passing through from third quadrant (near the x axis), then curve away, curve back through the origin, then curve towards the x axis in the first quadrant.

(2)this is simply sketching the cube of (1). The idea behind four unit graphs is that given a graph of a function f(x), you should be able to sketch the graph of functions of f(x) such as f(x)^3, f(x)^2, 1/f(x), sqrt(f(x)) etc without refering back to the explicit equation of f(x) (you can always do that but its slower). It is important to note how the critical features- turning points, intercepts and asymptotes - are transformed. I advise you learn these, either through teachers or trying to derive them yourself. I shall give you and example:

Suppose I have f(x) already. I want to sketch y= f(x)^3. So I note:
- if f(x) is positive, cubing it will keep it positive. similarly if f(x) is negative. NOTE f(x) and f(x)^3 have the same shape (if f(x) increase, f(x)^3 increase and vice versa)
- INTERCEPTS: f(x)=0 implies f(x)^3=0, so the x intercepts of f(x) and f(x)^3 are the same
-TURNING POINTS: y'=d f(x)^3/dx = 3f(x)^2 * f'(x) (remember implicit differentiation)
This tells us that f(x)=0 implies y'=0, f'(x)=0 implies y'=0. So the x values of turning points of y=f(x)^3 are those of f(x) AND the intercepts of f(x) as well. The nature is easily determined by the shape of the graph.
-ASYMPTOTES: vertical ones are shared, horizontal ones are different:
eg. suppose as x-> inf, f(x)-> 5, then f(x)^3->5^3=125
This should all be enough to sketch the curve.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS, just plot some points maually if you have the equation of f(x) to begin with

nelsonzheng

HSC
1) y=2x/(x^2+1)

3) y=x^4/[(x^2+1)^4]

Your basically applying ^4 to graph 1

Last edited:

blackops23

HSC
umm could you please tell me how to actually sketch the graph say like in a exam, with reference to the two other graphs and without any further calculation, thanks

NihaoMa

Banned
HSC
you find the asymtotes and certain points such as x/y intercepts. then just draw it. I love maths.

nelsonzheng

HSC
umm could you please tell me how to actually sketch the graph say like in a exam, with reference to the two other graphs and without any further calculation, thanks
Given that you have already plotted graph 1, you can see the relationship between graph 1 and graph 3:

blackops23

HSC
what makes this graph so hard to me is that it isn't like the other questions in the question, i..e it isn't (GRAPH1)^4,

GRAPH1 ^4 WOULD have been 16x^4/(x^2+1)^4
this one doesn't have a 16 in it...

Also the "no further calculation bit" is killing me, how do I sketch it without using calculus???

Last edited:

nelsonzheng

HSC
what makes this graph so hard to me is that it isn't like the other questions in the question, i..e it isn't (GRAPH1)^4,

GRAPH1 ^4 WOULD have been 16x^4/(x^2+1)^4
this one doesn't have a 16 in it...

Also the "no further calculation bit" is killing me, how do I sketch it without using calculus???
Blue line: original plot
Red line: original plot divided by 2, thus half the amplitude
Yellow line: (Red line)^4
Thus, no 16.
You can find the maximums just by subbing in some numbers into the calculations u did for graph 1. then just guess the general shape of the curve

blackops23

HSC
Blue line: original plot
Red line: original plot divided by 2, thus half the amplitude
Yellow line: (Red line)^4
Thus, no 16.
You can find the maximums just by subbing in some numbers into the calculations u did for graph 1. then just guess the general shape of the curve
Thanks mate! The halving of graph 1 really helped me out!

But there's one more problem, it is much much simpler than any graph i've had a problem with today, but my method is probably wrong.
Ok heres the question:

Q. i) Discuss the beahviour of the curve at the neigbourhood of x=1 and for very large values of x.
ii) Find y', hence, coordinates of any turning points
iii) Sketch the curve

graph: y=x+1+[1/(1-x)]
THe problem i'm, having is discussing the behaviour of the curve near x=1, i.e. finding the asympote

Unlike the other questions in the question, this graph starts with "x+1"

The other graphs were like e.g. y=x-1+[(1/x-1)]. So like for this graph, as x--> 1, x-1 vanishes and y=1/(x-1) is the asymptote, i.e. x=1

However for this graph as x--> 1, NOTHING GETS ELIMINATED, all i get is y=2 + 1/(x-1)
You can easily see that as x--> + infinity, 1/x-1 goes away, so the asymptote is y=x-1

But as for the other asymptote, I can't make heads or tails how the graph acts as x-->1 from positive and negative sides.

Thanks guys

jyu

HSC
For y=x+1+[1/(1-x)], as x --> 1-, 1/(1-x) --> + inf, .: y --> + inf; as x --> 1+, 1/(1-x) --> - inf, .: y --> - inf.

Don't see your problem!

blackops23

HSC
no worries, sorry got things mixed up, graph was 1/1-x, I had 1/x-1 in my head. So I guess the asymptote is y=2 + 1/(1-x)

Last edited:

nelsonzheng

HSC
However for this graph as x--> 1, NOTHING GETS ELIMINATED, all i get is y=2 + 1/(x-1)
y=x+1+1/(x-1)

Let's split this graph into y=x+1 and y=1/(x-1)
y=x+1 is a straight diagonal line with y intercept of 1 and a positive gradient. (this doesn't really change the question)
y=1/(x-1) is a hyperbola with an asymptote at x=1
Then you add the 2 together as seen below:

Hope that helps.

jyu

HSC
Hi Nelson, you misread 1/(x-1) for 1/(1-x)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)