Most annoying book of all time (1 Viewer)

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
Harry. Fucking. potter.

shellybelly087 said:
everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Doesn't for one second mean they're not just plain wrong.

whiterabbit said:
I can't believe people have mentioned Wild Swans, Heart of Darkness or Brave New World.

What's wrong with you people?
They've abused their right to an opion.

Last edited:
HSC
I dislike Emma.

I was forced to read it. The woman needs to learn how to use full stops. It was all about rich people in the Victorian Era finding husbands. And other crap like that.

It's probably not the most annoying book of all time (i'm sure someone likes it), but imo it's the most annoying book i've ever read.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I don't like Wild Swans. The first time I read it I thought it was alright. That was before I learnt about the historical inaccuracies and how she exaggerated the bits Westerners love to capitalise on.
Austen takes a bit of getting used to, I thought she was a complete twat at the beginning of yr 11 but I've come to appreciate her work. There is a lot of depth behind those excruciatingly long sentences and blabbering on about Mr Darcy and Anne and Captain who ever it was that she wanted to marry but was persuaded out of it.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Mrs. Cherry, unfortunately I am one who has never had the constitution for Dickens. It must also be said, that whilst Mr Dickens' prose is dreary, Mrs Austen's critique of 19th century paradigms is neither insightful nor intelligent. In fact, if I may be so bold, I would say that her writing is utter tripe.

Also, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE UNFORTUNATE LIVES OF WEALTHY GIRLS WHO HAVE TO MARRY PEOPLE THAT THEY DONT LOVE. Shit, those Victorians struggled to come up with anything else to write about.

The only "OMG VICTORIAN MARITAL PARADIGMS SUCK" book/play/poem that is worth reading is the Importance of Being Earnest.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Harp in the South

Worst
English
Book
Ever!

It had no actual plot line.. it was just a recount for like 400 pages.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Autobiography's or biography's
they are sooo fucking boring and stupid.
we had to read Jesse Martins "Lionheart" is sucked crap

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The World Wreckers by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
A woman makes hundreds of planets go bust and abandons her infant to a life of intergalactic prostitution when millenia later she wants to destroy another planet but basically its just too cool for her to do it and she reconciles with her intergalacticly prostituted daughter...all in the last bit(like chapter or 2 or maybe last few paragraphs)!

The other book to get the ultimate award for annoyance is Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind - I have literally thrown the book across the room, if I want a severely watered down version of Jordan with dubious political and philosophical statements shoved in my face then I'll do it for less dollars at the compost heap.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i actually agree with you ^^^
I love the Sword of Truth series but Pillars of Creation and Naked Empire were honestly terrible... he should have left it with Faith of the Fallen which was one of my faves

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I tried to get into the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I really really did. But I found them to be such a tedious, ultimately boring read.

walrusbear

HSC
i'm sure it's been mentioned already, i didn't read all 8 pages of the thread
but of recent times i'd say Da Vinci Code is the most annoying book - based on its overexposure

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
All you people whinging about Jane Austen probably only did Advanced English and and don't know what real pain is. I read Emma in one weekend, it's nothing comapred to Persuasion, which I had to read for Extension English. It's so tedious that it makes Emma seem like an action novel.

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
PerfectByNature said:
Autobiography's or biography's
they are sooo fucking boring and stupid.
we had to read Jesse Martins "Lionheart" is sucked crap
*shudders*
I changed out of my class to avoid that book...

The fact that it's written by someone with an 8th grade education shines through brilliantly... it's beyond me how it made its way into the hsc reading list.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
because its "about a journey of the human spirit" or some shit like that... i still havent read the whole thing....i got halfway through and was completely bored outta my brain... ususally i cant stand not finishing a book but this was sooo crap

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
PerfectByNature said:
because its "about a journey of the human spirit" or some shit like that... i still havent read the whole thing....i got halfway through and was completely bored outta my brain... ususally i cant stand not finishing a book but this was sooo crap
It can be about whatever it likes, the fact remains that the boy is only barely literate and has produced a text along the lines of "Weather was good today so didn't wear clothes. Saw a seagull and laughed because it was naked too. Changed sails. Naked."

This combined with the fact that he looks terrifyingly alike to a guy in my year just made it even worse...

keladry

lady knight
HSC
disliked most robin klein books... her heroines are annoying as hell.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
samuelblayden said:
lockie lenord
oh i have to agree - it was absolutly terrible

i really didn't like Wild Swans (Jung Chang) either - we had to study it last year and its shocking...

and just to add one more - Deborah Tannan - 'You just dont understand' - imagine John Grey's Men are from mars... but more whiney and she uses stories and movie scripts as fact! she says in the movie blah - they speak like this - therefore that must be how people do it in real life so my point is proven beyond doubt... stupid woman....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)