most common Personality study? (1 Viewer)

HSC
What is the most common personality study undertaken by Modern History students, and will this have anny effect on your HSC (e.g. because more people do Lenin is it hard to stand out with your answer?)
Thanx, ive been wondering about this for a while and because im doing distance education its kinda hard to get an answer, although my English teacher says its better to topics that most people don't choose

Zephyrio

HSC
Your English teacher is wrong.

Just because most students do Speer or Riefenstahl, (followed by Trotsky), does not disadvantage them at all. I suggest doing personalities within the context of your national study so you do not need to learn about entirely new historical situations. For example, if you're doing Germany, you'd be best off doing Speer or Riefenstahl. Similarly, you'd be best doing Trotsky if you were doing the Soviet Union. This is clearly easier than doing, I don't know, South Africa as a national study, then doing Speer as your personality.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Speer is the most popular personality, followed by Leni, Trotsky with Mandela moving up the list.

Now that the personalities aren't linked to the national study more students are moving to personalities away from a national study to one linked to an international study.

The same marking criteria is used for ALL personalities and is applied consistently by the markers. Generally speaking, from the 1000 or so personality scripts I marked last year and over the previous 3 years marking personalities, we give the full range of marks to all personalities where deserved. As markers we are very concerned to make sure that the lesser known personalities are treated equally with the better known ones. There will be personalities that don't get a full range of marks but they would be the lesser done ones where the range of responses simply isn't there.

Your choice of personality won't make any difference as good scripts stand out regardless of personality and there is no magic number of scripts that are to receive top marks per personality. No one has said that 10% of each individual personality must get a top range response or anything like that. The BOS mght have a sort of figure in mind overall but not for individual personalities. i.e. they might think that 10% of ALL personality responses should be top band but not on an individual basis. It would be expected that the % would be similar in the larger personalities chosen but not in those done by 10/20 or even 100 candidates.

HSC
cool, thats really good to know-taht they mark each paper without hving a special percentage they have to reach for each band
i don't think its always been like that though.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
CromptonChanan said:
cool, thats really good to know-taht they mark each paper without hving a special percentage they have to reach for each band
i don't think its always been like that though.
Since I have been marking in 1992 it has been at the individual marker level. We have always marked the scripts in front of us and given the appropriate marks.

However, in the old HSC pre 2000 they used a 'bell curve' to allocate final marks and thus a certain percentage of students only in each course could get over 90% and a certain percentage had to get less than 10% and that was the same %.

When they moved to standards reference reporting of results it is now theoretically possible for every student in a course to get 100% - if they have achieved the standard they get the mark whereas in a bell curve a student may get a raw mark of 95 but because too many people had reached the standard above them they might go down to 88.

gezzill

HSC
yer..i agree with Zephyrio.
i do usa: 1919-41, and we do J Edgar Hoover
it ties in well with policies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)