Most over rated movie (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
zombie_artfag said:
memento, donnie darko, lost in translation, garden state, napoleon dynamite, fight club, amelie, radiohead
Wahh? Is your taste in movies like, the worst ever? They're all superb.

Overrated? I'd say The Butterfly Effect. Sure it was pretty cool, but I didn't think it was worthy of all the praise it got. Troy sucked, but it was never really that well received anyway. However, my number one most overrated would be Schindler's List. It's nothing more than Spielberg tripe, yet people have lapped it up and often consider it 'the best film ever!'. Hardly best ever.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
schindlers list was brilliant

overated is hary potter shit

nwatts

HSC
enoch said:
schindlers list was brilliant

overated is hary potter shit
It is sappy, unrealistic and silly. It's a film with superb performances from all involved, but fails on all other levels. Spielberg doesn't seem to know whether or not he's trying to emulate a documentary or tell a powerful story. There is over forty minutes of footage of Jewish people being mistreated in concentration camps that is completely superfluous to the entire film - it seems as if all Spielberg wants is to make his audience cry. Films are powerful when they're subtle, when devastation is implied rather than staring you in the face. Spielberg completely tipped the scales, trying to create a powerful movie in the least tactful manner possible.

John Williams' score was another issue. In its own right, it was a fantastic bunch of music. Very moving, very well developed. I borrow the cd-soundtrack from a friend quite often. However it seemed so poorly matched to the film. There were a number of theme bars (similar to LOTR in a sense) that resonated at key points throughout the film that dramatically dampened the authentic feel Spielberg wanted, making his audience feel as if they're watching 'a story' rather than 'real life'. It's horribly obvious Spielberg wanted his audience to feel as if Schindler's List is 'real life', but Williams' music detracts significantly.

Something like The Pianist, a film dealing with similar subject matter, or Hotel Rwanda, a film of similar structure make for far better films. They're less confused in what they aim to be, and seem more real, in an ironic fashion.

Schindler's List is not brilliant. People love it because a) it has Spielberg's name attached to it, b) it pulls at their heartstrings, and c) some can't look past the fine acting.

Cab31

HSC
The harry potter movies are over rated. They just wreck the books.
Slightly off topic, how overrated is scarlett johanson? She is so boring to watch.

Cab31

HSC
waddle_828 said:
definitely the village

Lamest
Movie
Ever...
Hey i liked that movie! I love joaquin phoenix (or however the hell you spell his name).
It was a bit lame, but never the less entertaining.

HSC
Cab31 said:
Hey i liked that movie! I love joaquin phoenix (or however the hell you spell his name).
It was a bit lame, but never the less entertaining.
lol the bit when the guy from the village (no idea of his name, the movie was that shit i dunno the names of the characters) fell into that hole that was sposed to be scary was just pathetic.
the scariest bit of the village was when someone popped a chip bag. that scared me, and the village didnt.

walrusbear

HSC
i'm sure the village sucks but is it rated?

i thought it was universally shat on

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
the village was never rated very highly and too many people focused on guessing the twists. i didnt think it was too bad personally.

from the top of my head, spiderman, mystic river, the shining

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Lord of the Rings without a single doubt in the world. I will hold a grudge against it forever for screwing over Lost in Translation.

tempco

HSC
oh yeah, lost in translation. didn't like that movie at all.

rumour

HSC
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Garden State
Star Wars
8 Mile
Spiderman & Spiderman 2
Troy
A Beautiful Mind

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)