Most Over-rated/Under-rated and the most Disappointing/Surprisingly good Games? (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
What do you guys think is:

1)The most over-rated game?
(i.e. not necessarily bad, but nowhere near as good as what it was made out to be by everyone)

2)The most under-rated game?
(i.e. the game that you hardly heard about that ended up being really good).

3)The most disappointing game?
(i.e. you personally expected it to be Class A, but instead you thought it was tosh)

4)The most surprisingly good game?
(i.e. you personally didn't expect much, but it ended up being a really good game).

IMO:

1) Halo 2 was way over-rated. You saw the ads on the 545 buses, it had its own books and just about every magazine worshipped it. But it ended up being a game constructed of a bunch of levels that didnt really coherently go together. It was good, but it wasn't great.

2)Off the top of my head, Tales Of Symphonia was such an under-rated game. The real-time fighting is brilliant, and the game takes ages to complete.

3)Perfect Dark Zero is an utter disappointment. Rare must be on drugs now. I knew it wasn't going to be as good as the original, but I didn't expect it to actually be crap. The level designs are incredibly average to below-average, there is no real story to it and (Like Halo 2) it was like the levels independantly constructed and thrown together last minute.

4)Metroid Prime. I know its popular but I had never played a metroid game before and didn't think I would like it. It ended up being Hot.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
most under-rated game:

Populous: The Beginning

at its core it was quite a simple RTS game, though it was extremely enjoyable and had an excellent campaign.

to sum it all up:
*starting peasants produce houses using wood
*houses produce peasants (occupied houses produce more peasants)
*houses upgrade after being occupied for set amount of time (requires wood)
*barracks/temple/firethrower buildings are where warriors/priests/firethrower are trained from peasants
*wood from nearby trees, fully chopped trees take long to regrow, semi chopped trees regrow faster
*priests can convert others who come within range and theyre immobalized while being converted, enemy priests are resistant to being immobalized and can break the conversion processes of other priests by melee
*firethrowers are basically archers...with flames!....in their hands!

and that basically sums up most of the pop management micro required. also a few other buildings: watchtowers, hot-air-balloon-factory, dockyard

had a shaman who was your main "hero" whos mana regen depended on your peasant population size. they had some really unique types of spells:
land bridge- evens out the elevation of the land from where your shaman is to where you aim so a bridge forms. (elevation of the land could was easily manipulated and could lead to the destruction /imprisonment/drowning of an entire army if used correctly)
erode- area of land loses elevation until it becomes water
angel of death- summons an invincible demon thingy that flies around randomly killing individual enemies for 2 or so minutes
volcano- nuff said
armageddon- a giant arena forms from the land and all units from all sides are teleported there before they all go out in a massive brawl while the camera is locked and rotating around the fight.

it was quite a simple game but it was highly addictive and still id rather play it over the rush/click fest, spam of 4 units that counter each other army, memorised-build-order RTS games of today.

/reminiscing

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
<3 populous: the beginning. I agree that it was one of the most under-rated games. The way you could manipulate the land was heaps cool.

Legham

HSC
Rollcage!

Toooo under-rated.. I had a demo of it on PS1 and it was freekin' awesome.. But i assume it never kicked off cause there was only 2 games of it made i think :( Aarggh, i want it..

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Zelda TP

Phantasy Star Universe

CieL

HSC
Surprisingly good game:

Prince of Persia on Wii...
My bf bought the game, and I thought it sounded pretty gay, like c'mon, prince n princesses remind me of Barbie... and was reluctant to play it... and a few hours later, I still had both controllers in my hand slashing away =.=

stazi

Nightman
HSC
.... a prince reminds you of barbie. right. prince of persia was great on xbox, cant wait to play the wii version

Drunkass86

HSC
My most over-rated game would have to be the Halo series. I mean, did any of them really showcase anything new in terms of AI, graphics or game engine?

Under-rated-In my collection- System Shock 2. I honestly got so scared by those zombie things that I didnt make it thru the 1st level. I eventually finished it many years later...it had a really good story...visuals and everything else just made it a great game (for the time)

Most disappointing: Tied between Quake 4 and Lego Star Wars 2. Played it once through and sold it. Not really worth the $30 i spent on it (Quake). Control system gave me the craps in LSW2

Most surprisingly good: Jedi Knight 2. That little something about lightsabers and cutting stormtroopers' hands off was one of the coolest moments in my gaming history..too bad i never got good at it. As it was built off the quake 3 engine i wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing, but once i played it, wow!

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
Drunkass86 said:
Most surprisingly good: Jedi Knight 2. That little something about lightsabers and cutting stormtroopers' hands off was one of the coolest moments in my gaming history..too bad i never got good at it. As it was built off the quake 3 engine i wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing, but once i played it, wow!
agreed. there was something so uberly awesome about slowly walking up to an enemy with deactivated light saber in hand while giving each other a deathstare and taunts and then suddenly within the span of about 3 seconds you both activate your sabers, slash, parry, force pull, parry, forward lunge, parry, swipe.....

a moment of silence as your opponent falls to their knees, giving a final gasp before collapsing while you deactivate your saber and calmly walk away unscathed.

once you really get into it, it was quite possible to actually time the defencive swings and dodges by recognising the attack animations and reacting to them, followed up by a counter strike. thats just for single player though. multiplayer was like on turbo mode and just turned into who could spam the most attacks while running directly at the enemy.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
once you really get into it, it was quite possible to actually time the defencive swings and dodges by recognising the attack animations and reacting to them, followed up by a counter strike. thats just for single player though. multiplayer was like on turbo mode and just turned into who could spam the most attacks while running directly at the enemy.
I just clicked really quickly. Got the job done.

But yeah, fun times on that game. You're on a ledge, jump down to land on one stunning it, then throw your sabre at another, when you grab it back, do a few swipes to kill the rest and finish off the set by impaling the one you jumped on at the start.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
Most disappointing for me was Auto Modellista. I mean, how cool does a cel-shaded racing game sound? Then you find that it's boring, easy and way too short :(

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
DeathB4Life said:
I haven't played Jedi Knight 2 yet, though Jedi Academy was pretty ace multiplayer. You'll get killed running around spamming with a double bladed or two sabers. The best mode to use was definitely the single lightsaber on the slow but powerful swings.

Single player wasn't bad, wasn't great either.

Though the force powers were pretty cheap in the game.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Glad someone mentioned Populous-The Beginning. What a fantastic game. Rollcage is also quite underrated.

Some of my favourite underated games are:

Re-Volt
-remote control racer game that was great fun on N64 and also on PC.

Battle Realms
-fantasy RTS with some innovative features like unit alchemy.

Metal Fatigue
-a somewhat obscure RTS where you can build fully customisable "combots". allows amazing combot battle sequences

NFS:porsche Unleashed
-probably the best game in the NFS series.

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Final Fantasy XII. It's crap crap and crap!

2)The most under-rated game?

Disgaea! Bet people haven't even heard of it.

Final Fantasy XII.

4)The most surprisingly good game?

Animal Crossing... pretty interesting.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Actually, I think Halo is the most over-rated game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)